American Football In Phucket

quiggs

WIth the upcoming college and professional football season almost upon us. I am curious is there anywhere on this Island Expats can go to view a football game? I have a friend sending DVD's, but, it is nice ot sit at a pub with some other sportsfans and watch once in a while.

I realize the chances are slim of any positive response. Despite my passion for the game which is the Unted Staes number one sport, it doesn't seem to be catching on World Wide :o

Quiggs

You can see games..... Mostly Monday mornings.

I remember seeing games last year in Phuket.

I stayed at the "Summerbreeze Hotel" and down in the bar/breakfast area was a TV with differant live games on.

Also being a USC and a Oklahoma Sooner fan I would follow the games at a internet

cafe in the town I was in at the time.

Also set your TiVo at home if you have one.

Have fun....

I'm not a fan of American Football, but I do know the Rock Hard in Patong used to show matches.

Last year when I was there they were in the process of moving the girls upstairs to make way for a sports bar downstairs. I would guess they might be worth a look, the girls aren't bad either but don't tell my wife. :o

WIth the upcoming college and professional football season almost upon us. I am curious is there anywhere on this Island Expats can go to view a football game?

In fifteen years I've never seen any college football on TV here except for a few bowl games, but as for professional football, it's just be a matter of asking your favorite pub (that has UBC) to switch to the right channel.

We actually get more games here than most US cities do because of the blackout rules that apply there. Most weekends get have four.

On UBC, Supersports Gold has always carried two of the Sunday afternoon games live, which puts them on here something like 1am-6am on Monday morning. Most people who care tape them, but if that doesn't work for you, the same channel generally repeats one of the games on Monday night.

If you want Sunday night football, it's live on ESPN here at about 8 am Monday morning, then Monday night football is live on ESPN at about 8 am on Tuesday. Again, both games are frequently repeated at night, depending on whatever else ESPN has to carry. While baseball season is still going, tha's often a problem. ESPN has always been quick on the trigger to replace either the live broadcast or the replay (or both) with even the most ordinary baseball game.

The season opens with a Thursday night game September 9, I think. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I will have to get the DVD of the college games sent to me. As you know....college football is at LEAST as popular as pro. I am in a fantasy football league, so it would be helpful to record the rest. Kind of wondering if people get together for these games at all....Monday night football? Oh well....my woman is in for a treat :o

quiggs

Here is the latest poll for college ball. When I was working in Thailand back in 96 the I got to see alot of the Pro sunday night games and monday night games. I think you just have to tell the bar tender to put the game on. It will be morning games for you of course.

good luck with it.

PKG

The Top 25 teams in the final Associated Press poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, 2003 records, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote and previous ranking.

1 USC (48) 12-1 1608 1

2 LSU (17) 13-1 1576 2

3 Oklahoma 12-2 1476 3

4 Ohio State 11-2 1411 7

5 Miami (Fla.) 11-2 1329 10

6 Michigan 10-3 1281 4

7 Georgia 11-3 1255 11

8 Iowa 10-3 1107 13

9 Washington State 10-3 1060 15

10 Miami (Ohio) 13-1 932 14

11 Florida State 10-3 905 9

12 Texas 10-3 887 5

13 Mississippi 10-3 846 16

14 Kansas State 11-4 833 8

15 Tennessee 10-3 695 6

16 Boise State 13-1 645 18

17 Maryland 10-3 564 23

18 Purdue 9-4 526 12

19 Nebraska 10-3 520 22

20 Minnesota 10-3 368 24

21 Utah 10-2 308 25

22 Clemson 9-4 230 --

23 Bowling Green 11-3 189 --

24 Florida 8-5 165 17

25 TCU 11-2 126 19

Others receiving votes: Oklahoma State 109, Arkansas 73, Virginia 36, Northern Illinois 30, Auburn 8, Oregon State 8, N.C. State 7, Pittsburgh 7, West Virginia 4, Connecticut 2.

UBC sat. does show a few games,some on at 0100, 0500 so to see them live you got to get up early or stay up,,but if you miss them,then they will be on at different times and mostly at around 1700,at least thats what they did last year, You get about 4 NFL games a week and that takes all week.,,never know when they coming on. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Usualy there are the monday night games on tuesday morning and the sunday night games on monday morning. If you like collage football you should find a good internet source and listen to it over the radio. that is about your only option outside of the U.S. Embassy which gets special live sattelite for all the games, well not all but a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

OK the Live broadcast is tough. Some games have been on the cable in the hotels. UBC. There are two bars Heros and Champs the do sports but I if you go to the fine pub on 2nd Road. Two Black Sheep and see Bill (owner) he'll look into it as they open at 10am for breakfast. Bill is a fine Kiwi and the bar will be open! they have a web site where you can mail him.

http://twoblacksheep.net/ there is a link! I have asked also, GO Niners!