Voluntary Work

triman

hello there,

Had a wonderful experience in the los.

The people that i encountered truly made my trip memorable!

I am sure that you dont need to hear any more as i think you have heard it all before.

What i would like to know is if there are any voluntary organisations where you can help people who are less fortunate...? :o

Hi Triman, there are many voluntary organisations in LoS which support worthy causes, and I can give you some contacts BUT... you need a relevant work permit to do voluntary work in Thailand. You should be able to get this, but there is the paperwork and costs involved etc. Is your interest just a passing fad or are you really serious in your quest? Your committment will answer the above questions I'm sure.

Simon

thanks for your reply simon43!

i am very serious about helping out.

i do not mind the cost of getting around.i do not want or am i looking for any financial reward.

i want to do something worthwhile with my life.

:o

Triman,

There are many of the forum members that do volunteer work to help people who are less fortunate.

They even have it sussed out so that they dont have to worry about a work visa either.

These kind hearted people can be seen in many of the major Cities in Thailand, Bangkok, Chang Mai, Phuket or Pattaya. You will find them propping up bars and helping the poor unfortunate people who have to endure their company.

Triman,

There are many of the forum members that do volunteer work to help people who are less fortunate.

They even have it sussed out so that they dont have to worry about a work visa either.

These kind hearted people can be seen in many of the major Cities in Thailand, Bangkok, Chang Mai, Phuket or Pattaya. You will find them propping up bars and helping the poor unfortunate people who have to endure their company.

And they help poorer people out with funds and provide short term employment opportunities. :o

I share your aspirations Triman, and I'm about to start a new job I've arranged in Issan, north Thailand working in a college for poor students. I've a year's contract (hope to stay much longer) and it's voluntary but accommodation and food are included which meets my needs in full.

It's unfortunate that many newbies come to this forum with perfectly reasonable questions only to get flamed by old hands - don't worry about it, you're not going to Thailand to hang out with cynical expats anyway! If you want helpful advice I suggest you try the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree site - lots of posters will give you contacts and there's a sticky with a link to many voluntary organisations. The good ones will arrange a work permit for you once you've done a couple of visa runs and proved yourself reliable and committed.

You haven't said whether you actually have any skills or qualifications - they are kinda important!

It's unfortunate that many newbies come to this forum with perfectly reasonable questions only to get flamed by old hands

andyinkat,

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bar girl this morning?

From Webopedia.

flame (n.) A searing e-mail or newsgroup message in which the writer attacks another participant in overly harsh, and often personal, terms. Flames are an unfortunate, but inevitable, element of unmoderated conferences. 

The good doctor and I are Not Guilty of flaming.

If we cant have a joke and a laugh occassionally, I doubt that we would bother coming here at all.

When we can offer good advice and experiences, we will. When we get the chance to "take the piss", we will also.

Lighten up.