New Thai Coins Set To Reduce Minting Cost

george

Once again, just plain poor planning. As the price of metals increased, they put the 2 baht coin into circulation. Oh, and for those of you who have never gotten one or seen one--well, you probably have, just got it confused with a 1 baht coin. I ran into an honest merchant who gave me 1 baht change for something I bought using the 2 baht coin. I looked at him quizzickly and he showed me the coin and put it next to a 1 baht coin. No idea how many "I gave away" before that!

I put all my satang coins in a piggy bank. After a while, I empty the bank when I'm going to shop at Tesco, and the cashier almost always is glad to get ten or more satang coins in the till.

All coins should be identifiable on sight, and by feel. Better to have different colors, shapes, holes, etc.

I think they need the one baht coin. I expect the public to reject this idea of dumping the one baht coin. People are always emotional about their money and with good reason. The baht is the main unit of Thai currency. Better get rid of the satang coins and the 2 baht coin which I always mistake for 1 baht anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Unfortunately the idiot coin designers here forget that coins should be able to be identified by feel and not by only by sight so that blind people can use them with confidence.

Yet another example of Thais seeming not to be capable of respecting all life (as required by Lord Buddha).

They made a better fist of it than the European idiot minters who made their two Euro coin (100baht) identical (to vending machines and most tourists not used to them) to the Thai 10 baht coin! Now thees research for you!

I'd say get rid of 25, 50 satang AS WELL AS the 2 baht coin, then make the 1 baht coin smaller/cheaper to produce.

Possibly introduce a 20 or 25 baht coin. Also introduce a 2000 and/or 5000 baht banknote.

The 2 baht coin was silly from the start.

I find the 1 and 2 baht coins nearly impossible to differentiate and I've probably handed them over accidentally to pay for stuff.

The 2 baht coin has absolutely no use at all.

Many retails stores don't accept the satang coins. They shouldn't be fazed out slowly but tossed out immediately.

Edited by tropo

I'd say get rid of 25, 50 satang AS WELL AS the 2 baht coin, then make the 1 baht coin smaller/cheaper to produce.

Possibly introduce a 20 or 25 baht coin. Also introduce a 2000 and/or 5000 baht banknote.

The 2 baht coin was silly from the start.

I find the 1 and 2 baht coins nearly impossible to differentiate and I've probably handed them over accidentally to pay for stuff.

The 2 baht coin has absolutely no use at all.

Many retails stores don't accept the satang coins. They shouldn't be fazed out slowly but tossed out immediately.

if they phase out 1/2 satang coins everything will be rounded up to the nearest baht not down ,making everything dearer :o

"I put all my satang coins in a piggy bank. After a while, I empty the bank when I'm going to shop at Tesco, and the cashier almost always is glad to get ten or more satang coins in the till."

I was gonna do the same thing myself... the way they always get you for a saleung n such; like you ever carry them on you! I think to pay a satang is a scam.... But rather than buy something for 70 baht all in satangs and show them what they deserve, I save them up and then give them to the local wat. I'm happier to make the wat happier.... tam bun, yo!