To dig a well or not...

allexx

Requests for permission to build something have to be channelled through the Obatoh, that is to say the Tambon (submunicipality) administration. Dont know if digging a well would qualify as "building something". Note if you are living in the countryside and are using one or more septic tanks, there are legal rules concerning the allowed minimum distance between the well and the (nearest) septic tank.

By the way there are two different types of wells: simply a hole in the ground being reinforced with concrete rings, or a pipe being drilled deep into the ground , normal procedure is that they keep on drilling till they hit a layer of rock. The latter type of well is more expensive to make, but results in a more reliable supply of cleaner water.

You can also get the government to drill a well for you for free. This happened in our village, even though we already had a good water supply. That new well is only used by one household who only use it so they don't have to pay for water. Its not even connected to anything; just a hand pump. Not sure how you go about getting this done for free, though. A truck arrived with a drilling rig on it, and spent about 5 days drilling it.

Sound's like tea money inducement to me MaiChai.

I had a well dug in a piece of rural land I have - I needed it along with a house to register it as an address to get a modern-type deed. The house was a simple wooden affair on stilts (cost less than £400 all told). As part of the work, the contractors dug a well - simple hole with concrete tubing to stop it crumbling in. It has never been used (neither has the shack), but I am sure they didn't apply for anything - I would have bared the costs if they had, and I was never given an invoice. Some government bods came and measured up for the new homestead - for the deeds, and no mention was made - or back handers given.

Around our village, it seems if you want one you just go ahead. Two ways as previously mentioned, but as long as it works :D My next door neighbour made one, water like mud. Touch wood mine is perfect for the last 10 years, again dont make too close to a septic tank :o  My friend made one, he ended up with a gusher B) The water keeps just coming, I think the call it artireal well. Magic, but very deep.

Sorry the word is Artesian well :cool:

We built a bore hole in Roi Et on our land. Drilled down 38m and added a pump on top, electronic pump on demand. Good clean water and the whole thing only took 20k baht.

No planning control, it was the wifes land. But then there was no planning control to build the house. We had land we just built it and then told the local government.  :cool: