Condo Rental

Thaihog

Hi, I hope some of you HH residents can help me out. I'm moving to Hau Hin in a month or so and am looking for an unfurnished condo (minimum size 75SQM), price range 20 - 25,000 per month. I've had a look at some real estate agents on the web but they seem a bit pricey. Where is the best place (paper, website) to find owners advertising directly rather than using agents who always inflate the prices.

Thanks in advance and I'll catch up with some of you for a beer when I get to HH. Where are the popular watering holes for expats these days, haven't been to HH for 2 years or so.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I hope some of you HH residents can help me out. I'm moving to Hau Hin in a month or so and am looking for an unfurnished condo (minimum size 75SQM), price range 20 - 25,000 per month. I've had a look at some real estate agents on the web but they seem a bit pricey. Where is the best place (paper, website) to find owners advertising directly rather than using agents who always inflate the prices.

Thanks in advance and I'll catch up with some of you for a beer when I get to HH. Where are the popular watering holes for expats these days, haven't been to HH for 2 years or so.

Cheers,

Thanks for all your help, NOT!

Thaihog,

Sorry you haven't received any useful responses to your perfectly reasonable request. I can't help you to find a condo either, but can offer a couple of comments anyway.

We tried for a while to find a condo in Hua Hin to rent for a year, and also were not sure about the prices offered by agents. We actually visited a dozen or so agents, looked at half a dozen properties, and declined them all. We, like you, wanted to find the actual owners, and went to the trouble of visiting many of the condo buildings. This was ineffective, since by and large there were only security staff on the premises and they could offer no help in locating owners. I should add that there are some condo buildings that maintain sales offices, but we found these buildings to be either beyond our budget, or otherwise not to our liking. In the end we rented a very nice house, which we found in the traditional way, by driving up and down all the streets that we thought looked nice, and calling the numbers on the "For Rent" signs.

My second comment is that I presume you have already reviewed the various postings on this site (and perhaps others) regarding property in Hua Hin. If so, you cannot fail to have observed the vitriolic, personal attacks emanating from those that disagree with any recommendation, whether it be positive or negative. This may possibly be another reason why you have not received any recommendations -- who would want to voluntarily open themselves to a torrent of abuse?

I haven't noticed any such abuse in threads asking for advice on accommodation as opposed to the merits of buying a house, or certain developments!

Anyway, try the Hua Hin Observer, they have a classifieds section, as does another guide that ends in expat that you should find if you google Hua Hin.

Hi,

just found this Hua Hin section, while I was looking for something else Hua Hin related.

I am living in Hua Hin for about 4 years, and from my experience the condo/apartment market in Hua Hin is A LOT different from anywhere else. There are not many available for rent, and those that are, are in general more expensive than for example Bangkok.

There are basically 2 kinds of apartment/condos here - the student and the holiday type.

First are usually pretty run down and I think all of them are studios, still the prices are quite high, as we have a 2 international Universities here, one being an American Webster University, so students are usually quite wealthy and can pay high rents.

Second are usually very nice, and very expensive...

The reason for this I think is that 99% of all condos here are owned by Bangkokians, who come down sometimes during the weekends, and have no interest to rent their weekend home. Just look at any Condo Building on an weekday evening and you are guaranteed to see less than 10 condos with lights on, some buildings are completely "empty".

My suggestion is to rent a house, you will find great offers for around 10-15 thousand Baht, for 2-3 Bedroom house (not town-house), which are usually at least partially furnished. The cheapest town-house I have stayed it was 2 bed room and 3,000 Baht per month in Soi 60. Sure it was not a dream home, but for that kind of monthly rent I'd actually expect something a lot worse... It even had aircon.

Good luck finding a home!

p.s. about the "negative" comment...

The real estate market in Hua Hin (I'd imagine it's the same elsewhere) is very competitive in Hua Hin. There are so many developments ongoing, I am 100% sure not a single real estate agent knows them all, and that in a city smaller than 100,000 people. I would not be surprised if any kind of "recommendation" or "critic" that is real estate related would be seen as a competitors move and for sure whoever feels left out will say something "bad"... From my experience, the expats that are working and or doing business in Hua Hin are in general not very cooperative with "their own kind", sad actually...

Hi,

As an owner of a "condo-for-rent" for a hobby (w/o agent), I totally agree with all said above, especially that.....

Most condo owners (of old buildings more than 5 years approx) are Bangkokian, who do not use them nor could imagine letting anybody using their rooms. In my building I am the only one who brought in strangers!!! and during normal weekends, there are maximum 2 groups playing in the pool.

However, for a cheaper class less than 3 stars I guess there are more to choose.

About your question where to find the market of owners, I can't suggest either as I jumped to this website for the same curiosity. I want to know where you guys look for the non hotel units. For locals, perhaps you could try www.pantipmarket.com or www.thai2hand.com www.sanook.com If they are available in English you will find some. There used to be a few others beside mine like Springfield resorts.

About the price, it is very true that the prices are sometimes double what you can find in Bangkok. I think it is because of the availablility like said above.

Three years ago one real estate agent lady saw my room and told me to quote almost 3 times I had in mind. Even I myself was shocked as I really had no idea of this market 3 years ago. She could say as she had accounts in hand.

I guessed it's too much as I really could not be of so much help.

Good luck!

Atom

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm in the rental buisness with Longstayers prices start from 10.000 THB to 100.000 THB!

Hi Joe,

We're in the market for a medium term rental as of early April, 3-6 months, possibly longer. Thought of buying, but want to try out living in HH first.

PM me if you think you could find me something.

Kees