Retirement Income Letter

This is by way of a double check.

As I don't fancy having 800k wasting it's time for 3 months I thought I'd like to use my letter of retirement income from my embassy which I used nearly four years ago. So it is four years old and I thought I'd heard 3 years was it. At immigration he said No it lasts forever if it's the original. Sounded good but I'm sure you're understanding my double check. Anyone know about this?

As I don't fancy having 800k wasting it's time for 3 months I thought I'd like to use my letter of retirement income from my embassy which I used nearly four years ago. So it is four years old and I thought I'd heard 3 years was it. At immigration he said No it lasts forever if it's the original. Sounded good but I'm sure you're understanding my double check. Anyone know about this?

As long as the adress and passport number is the same most immigration offices have allowed you up to now to give them a copy and keep the original for further years.

Check with your local immigration office or leave enough time to get a new letter just in case

As long as the adress and passport number is the same most immigration offices have allowed you up to now to give them a copy and keep the original for further years.

Check with your local immigration office or leave enough time to get a new letter just in case

I have had a retirement visa since 2003 and Bangkok Immigration has kept the original embassy letter every time. I've always gotten along well with Immigration staffers. Maybe I am just unlucky :o

IMHO, going to the US Embassy for a new letter is the WORST part of the extension process...

You may need to get a fresh letter this year because of the new requirement of getting it legalised by the Thai MFA. You only need to get this done one time and then the letter will be re-useable until your current passport expires.

I think that this new rule comes into effect on October 1st so if you are doing the biz before then you may well be able to use your existing letter. Good idea to check in advance though.

DM

You may need to get a fresh letter this year because of the new requirement of getting it legalised by the Thai MFA. You only need to get this done one time and then the letter will be re-useable until your current passport expires.

I think that this new rule comes into effect on October 1st so if you are doing the biz before then you may well be able to use your existing letter. Good idea to check in advance though.

DM

This new 'rule' has been hinted in Pattaya, we will need to see if it is applied elsewhere and from when

DM

This new 'rule' has been hinted in Pattaya, we will need to see if it is applied elsewhere and from when

Thanx for the advice. This is getting complicated.

What's the MFA? They weren't mentioned two days ago at immigration CM.

I have renewed my passport since I got the letter 4 years ago. I have the old passport with the corner clipped. All the stuff to do with Thailand in it was transferred/duplicated to the new one by immigration. Why would this mean they need a new letter? Seems irrelevant. I didn't mention it but nor did they. I only ask this because a new letter is a hassle, needs a letter from England then from my consulate not to mention 20 quid. I'd like to avoid it.

Edited by sleepyjohn

DM

Thanx for the advice. This is getting complicated.

What's the MFA? They weren't mentioned two days ago at immigration CM.

I have renewed my passport since I got the letter 4 years ago. I have the old passport with the corner clipped. All the stuff to do with Thailand in it was transferred/duplicated to the new one by immigration. Why would this mean they need a new letter? Seems irrelevant. I didn't mention it but nor did they. I only ask this because a new letter is a hassle, needs a letter from England then from my consulate not to mention 20 quid. I'd like to avoid it.

MFA stands for Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it is located in Bangkok only.

Before your application for extension of stay I suggest you go to your local immigration office and ask if you can apply with an old letter, an expired passport number. Do this leaving you enough time to be able to get the new letter in time in case they ask for one. Only yourlocal immigration office can say forsure what they will accept. It has been reported that they ask for a new letter if the passport number or the adress has changed.

Thankyou for your opinion

The trouble is one guy says one thing then another guy may say another thing

Just something to put up with I guess

I agree it can be frustrating and the different experience sharing on this forum makes it easier as you can get prepared as much or as little as you want

Good luck and let us know how it went

Please understand that especially in this forum section people usually try to give their best, that is at least what I found out. And if things (answers) are out of norm, the masterminds like i.e. lopburi3 and maestro step in and correct and I do not have a problem with that myself.

Aren't we here to help each other in this laborynth of Thai visa matters?

As of last week Chiang Mai Immigration has not heard about any rule change requiring the MFA to verify the embassy stamp is genuine, however on another thread the poster said Bangkok is asking for it now. I believe this additional requirement will be solely up to the individual Immigration office. I also believe the MFA is not the instigator but is providing a service for Immigration. Sleepyjohn, if Chiang Mai Immigration should require the MFA verification some time in the future, you can use Star Visa Service located right behind the US Consulate to do the translation and get the stamp for you. Takes about a week.

Regarding the income way !

I am thinking to ask my solicitor to write a letter mentioning the income I am getting from a commercial rent!

Will the monthly sum will need to be clear ( after interest paid to the bank ) or brut ?

With this letter I will then go to my embassy, I think that is the procedure?

Just asking , 50 soon .

Regarding the income way !

I am thinking to ask my solicitor to write a letter mentioning the income I am getting from a commercial rent!

Will the monthly sum will need to be clear ( after interest paid to the bank ) or brut ?

With this letter I will then go to my embassy, I think that is the procedure?

Just asking , 50 soon .

For the Thai immigration, you need a letter from your Embassy stating your monthly or yearly income.

Some Embassies want to see some evidence (pension slips, sallary slips, bank book, other) to issue the letter some other Embassies only require you to state your income and will issue the letter without supporting documents.

Immigration may require to see some supporting documents with the letter

There might no need to go through a solicitor

Immigration offices are not created equal. They are very likely to want different things. For instance, I recently went to Chiang Khan for my 90 day check in. I took my original income statement with me and asked if I would have any problems using it in November. I was immediately told that I needed a new statement that has been legalized. It appears that that information was passed along quite quickly. In the next breath he told me not to forget my doctor medical statement.

Immigration offices are not created equal. They are very likely to want different things. For instance, I recently went to Chiang Khan for my 90 day check in. I took my original income statement with me and asked if I would have any problems using it in November. I was immediately told that I needed a new statement that has been legalized. It appears that that information was passed along quite quickly. In the next breath he told me not to forget my doctor medical statement.

It has been reported in Pattaya and confirmed by the local British Counsul that fro October 1 the income letter will have to be certified by the MFA.

Your experience seems to at least confirm the possibility of it being applied in other places than Pattaya

Edited by Krub

Please understand that especially in this forum section people usually try to give their best, that is at least what I found out. And if things (answers) are out of norm, the masterminds like i.e. lopburi3 and maestro step in and correct and I do not have a problem with that myself.

Aren't we here to help each other in this laborynth of Thai visa matters?

I believe he was referring to the people at Immigrations, not the people offering opinions here.

Regarding the Retirement Visa. Last week, August 2nd, 2007, I reported to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to do my 90 day sign-in. While I was there, I decided to ask abouut the requirements for updating my retirement visa (for the first time) at the end of this month. I was told that all I needed was a (single) photo and the bank report. Also, copies of my passport pages related to the previous application along with the necessary first few pages. I asked if an HIV or doctors report was also necessary and the reply was, do the passport copies and a photo and fill out the form and bring a copy of the bank report that confirmed 800K inthe bank.

I will (of course) bring all the other info, but they were very polite and insisted on the minimal info. For what it's worth, I was very impressed. Will see what occures when I actually attempt to acquire said update.

FYI: I have resided in Thailand for 15 years. Cheers and Chok dee, dap

Retirement Income Letter, how long is it valid?

I know from two instances that Muhkda Han Immigration requsted the original and not a copy and answers the question.

As long as the info on the letter (name, passport number and address) is still valid, many immigration offices have kept the copy of the letter and returned the original for further use.

Some offices have kept the original making it difficult to apply only with a copy the following year (sometimes reported possible).

Nothing specific about the validity of the letter in the official rules as opposed to the bank statement and bank book copies which must be recent.

Pattaya has reported that the letter would need a certification by the MFA (from October 1 2007) but would be valid the following years....(no limit was mentionned but Isuspect that if the passport number or adresschanges, you will need a new one)

Regarding the Retirement Visa. Last week, August 2nd, 2007, I reported to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to do my 90 day sign-in. While I was there, I decided to ask abouut the requirements for updating my retirement visa (for the first time) at the end of this month. I was told that all I needed was a (single) photo and the bank report. Also, copies of my passport pages related to the previous application along with the necessary first few pages. I asked if an HIV or doctors report was also necessary and the reply was, do the passport copies and a photo and fill out the form and bring a copy of the bank report that confirmed 800K inthe bank.

I will (of course) bring all the other info, but they were very polite and insisted on the minimal info. For what it's worth, I was very impressed. Will see what occures when I actually attempt to acquire said update.

FYI: I have resided in Thailand for 15 years. Cheers and Chok dee, dap

I posted the following item to another thread on the Forum on 9 Aug; it was mis-placed there and would be better off if placed here:

"I went to Chiang Mai Immigration today (9th Aug) to extend my retirement visa (3rd annual extension). We (Thai wife and I) were in and out in 70 minutes and there was a healthy backlog of applicants waiting when we arrived at 8:40. Despite this, the procedure was painless...providing you bring all the needed documents, to wit: bank book, bank letter certifying your balance and also certifying that the funds originated outside of Thailand, passport, TM 7, Application for a Multiple Re-entry Permit (needed in my case due to my frequent travels), copy of rental lease (we are renting this year), original of landlord's signed ID card, copy of landlord's House Registration, THB 1900 for visa renewal and THB 3800 for Multiple Re-entry Permit. I had copied my passport tile page, current Multiple Re-entry Permit page and current immigration arrival stamp page. These were needed but the officer asked me to copy the latest TM6 stapled in my passport and its adjoining page showing the Re-entry Permit--as one copy page. They have a photocopy service a few steps away and that took all of 30 seconds to accomplish. I gave them copies of my 5-year Thai driving license and my U.S. military retired ID. The latter two documents are not required but the officer wanted them nonetheless. We were treated politely, deferentially and with excellent, quick service. One could not have asked for anything better. According to the Police captain and her senior sargeant who handled my case, they both stated that the renewal process is completely unchanged this year (for 800K THB renewals; I did not show evidence of pensions) and that process is very quick IF you bring the correct documentation. And yes, all of the interpersonal stuff, your dress and mannerisms weigh importantly too, but if you come in short of the required paperwork and still act politely to them, they will probably still ask you just as politely to go home and retrieve it. My advice: go into Immigration a week or two prior to sort out exactly what you will need; you'll then you'll be able to arrive on your renewal day with no hassles or unexpected events. I hope this is helpful to applicants who are planning to renew their retirement visas soon. I can't speak for other venues, but Chiang Mai offers superb, uncomplicated and professional service."

Despite this, the procedure was painless...providing you bring all the needed documents, to wit: bank book, bank letter certifying your balance and also certifying that the funds originated outside of Thailand, passport, TM 7, Application for a Multiple Re-entry Permit (needed in my case due to my frequent travels), copy of rental lease (we are renting this year), original of landlord's signed ID card, copy of landlord's House Registration, THB 1900 for visa renewal and THB 3800 for Multiple Re-entry Permit. I had copied my passport tile page, current Multiple Re-entry Permit page and current immigration arrival stamp page. These were needed but the officer asked me to copy the latest TM6 stapled in my passport and its adjoining page showing the Re-entry Permit--as one copy page. They have a photocopy service a few steps away and that took all of 30 seconds to accomplish. I gave them copies of my 5-year Thai driving license and my U.S. military retired ID. The latter two documents are not required but the officer wanted them nonetheless. We were treated politely, deferentially and with excellent, quick service

I have renewed for 4 years at Chiang Mai, and I agree they always have been cordial and helpful. However, I have never been asked for a rental lease or landlord info or drivers license. If you are asking for a "Proof of Residency" form they are needed, but usually not for visa extension, in my experience. I renew again next month so I will let you know.

As of last week Chiang Mai Immigration has not heard about any rule change requiring the MFA to verify the embassy stamp is genuine, however on another thread the poster said Bangkok is asking for it now. I believe this additional requirement will be solely up to the individual Immigration office. I also believe the MFA is not the instigator but is providing a service for Immigration. Sleepyjohn, if Chiang Mai Immigration should require the MFA verification some time in the future, you can use Star Visa Service located right behind the US Consulate to do the translation and get the stamp for you. Takes about a week.

The word on this new MFA rule is that it wont take effect till Oct. 1,Perhaps this why CM hasnt yet been notified. I agree with Lop3 to wait and see what indeed does happen AFTER Oct. 1

Just to add a final bit for the common pool of knowledge:

Yesterday I went to CM immigration again. I had prearranged by phone to see an excellent personal connection, a senior officer who had been away last week, so I was able to side step the front desk and go straight to the organ grinder.

You have a new passport....no problem.

You have a new address.....no problem.

Are you sure?

Absolutely sure Khun John.

I didn't ask but it didn't sound like I was getting preferential treatment.

Edited by sleepyjohn

First: the required documents depend heavily on the Reason for the Extension (TM.7 bottom of page 1), e.g.

- "to spend the remainder of life": proof of address not required or

- "to support a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident (non-Thai husband)": proof of address required.

Thus imho the discussion and even the reporting of a case in this forum does make sense only if all relevant facts are stated.

Second: Imho the most important and by applicants most forgotten rule is "The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents, if necessary."

Thus you can only put together what is most probably required and than go and give it a trial.

Reference: Immigration Bureau.

Edited by willi2006

I went to Chiangmai immigration today. Gave then the usual ..copy of all pages of bank book and letter verifying, copy of all pages of passport . I showed them my original letters from pension and American Consulate (from 3 years ago ) and gave them copies, i kept originals. They had told me a few years back to do this so i would not have to pay fee each year. I also renewed my passport in July and did not have to get a new letter from Consulate as there is stamp in new passport showing old passport number.

Only took about 15 minutes once i got in the office but still had alot of waiting, 2 1/2 hours, took about 40 minutes to get multi-entry...

Other than the long wait it went very easy.

Chorizo

I went to Chiangmai immigration today. Gave then the usual ..copy of all pages of bank book and letter verifying, copy of all pages of passport . I showed them my original letters from pension and American Consulate (from 3 years ago ) and gave them copies, i kept originals. They had told me a few years back to do this so i would not have to pay fee each year. I also renewed my passport in July and did not have to get a new letter from Consulate as there is stamp in new passport showing old passport number.

Only took about 15 minutes once i got in the office but still had alot of waiting, 2 1/2 hours, took about 40 minutes to get multi-entry...

Other than the long wait it went very easy.

Chorizo

Great looks like CM is the place to go for extension on retirement with income letter

I have renewed for 4 years at Chiang Mai, and I agree they always have been cordial and helpful.

I'm curious about your mentioning of "4years" - is that a typo? or what isit ? MalcolmL

OK - got it now - you've renewed for the last 4 years -not for a 4 year period - duhhh ! Thanks. Must be the early hour ..... MalcolmL