Thailand’s Policy On Quality Tourism

coalminer

How interesting. Stevero has also sworn on occasion that all of his Thai friends were completely faithful to their girlfriend/wives. This is why arguments that rest solely on your word aren't really much of an argument.

hint: not all my friends are Thai....given that we are talking about tourists here, well, I am er, talking about tourists?!

I have already said that 80-90% of the sex industry is local; I don't think that is far from the truth.

Anyway, Kat, you are a good example - did you come to live and work here specifically so you could enjoy the pleasure of the sex industry?

I would have guessed almost the exact opposite!

Edited by steveromagnino

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not far from the truth for many expats. However, things change, getting married, kids etc & the "night-life" scene, whilst it is still there and used on limited basis, becomes far less important.

I agree completely.

I am getting old and spend most of my time working, however, it is nice to know it is there just in case! :o

How interesting. Stevero has also sworn on occasion that all of his Thai friends were completely faithful to their girlfriend/wives. This is why arguments that rest solely on your word aren't really much of an argument.

hint: not all my friends are Thai....given that we are talking about tourists here, well, I am er, talking about tourists?!

I have already said that 80-90% of the sex industry is local; I don't think that is far from the truth.

Anyway, Kat, you are a good example - did you come to live and work here specifically so you could enjoy the pleasure of the sex industry?

Steve, I could be wrong, but i think Kat is a lady! Maybe you could ask about those dance clubs with jigalo dancers that some hi-so Bangkok ladies visit.

you are seriously saying the ONLY reason for living here is the sex industry?

Not the sex-industry in particular, but easy women - hookers or women that are desperate for a foreign man to support them.

There are lots of other reasons to be here, but most men are here for female attention of some sort - whether they admit it, or not. All I can say is that when I first moved here about 20 years ago, every single man that you met would admit that they came here for sex and that the reason they stuck around was because of all the female attention they recieved even when they had their fill of the sex industry (if they were not gay).

In the last few years, it has become very stylish to deny it and start raving about how interested one is the culture and learning the Thai language, but - other than a few unusual men - it is mostly a crock of sh*te. We ALL think with our ****s! :D

Exactly Ulysses! That deserves a beer when I get to CM :D

This something I've been harping on to the neo-puritans a few months ago when they starting cutting into single dudes in LOS.

Ever since the Sumerians built the first cities back in the day (4000BC) there were women available for men who had the time and cash to 'pay for play'. :o

People haven't changed, the sex-industry hasn't changed, so why try and pretend its all tourists fault? Western values have this whole 'guilt trip' mentality about sex and single guys and girls 'doing their thing' on P£P basis. Call it the Victorian era attitude, call it prudish people crying from the soapbox, whatever, at the end of the day 'pay to play' will always carry on. Its the in nature of (most) people to do this. People who have families don't have the same needs and desires as a single guy so why should single dudes act like their married?

Quality tourists are unlikely to come in large numbers to LOS, the 'vibe' of SE Asia is low to medium wealth tourists, the government just trys to play the 'happy, big spending tune' to try and impress the rich thai voters.

Edited by JimsKnight

you are seriously saying the ONLY reason for living here is the sex industry?

Not the sex-industry in particular, but easy women - hookers or women that are desperate for a foreign man to support them.

There are lots of other reasons to be here, but most men are here for female attention of some sort - whether they admit it, or not. All I can say is that when I first moved here about 20 years ago, every single man that you met would admit that they came here for sex and that the reason they stuck around was because of all the female attention they recieved even when they had their fill of the sex industry (if they were not gay).

In the last few years, it has become very stylish to deny it and start raving about how interested one is the culture and learning the Thai language, but - other than a few unusual men - it is mostly a crock of sh*te. We ALL think with our ****s! :D

This something I've been harping on to the neo-puritans a few months ago when they starting cutting into single dudes in LOS.

Ever since the Sumerians built the first cities back in the day (4000BC) there were women available for men who had the time and cash to 'pay for play'. :o

People haven't changed, the sex-industry hasn't changed, so why try and pretend its all tourists fault? Western values have this whole 'guilt trip' mentality about sex and single guys and girls 'doing their thing' on P£P basis. Call it the Victorian era attitude, call it prudish people crying from the soapbox, whatever, at the end of the day 'pay to play' will always carry on. Its the in nature of (most) people to do this. People who have families don't have the same needs and desires as a single guy so why should single dudes act like their married?

Quality tourists are unlikely to come in large numbers to LOS, the 'vibe' of SE Asia is low to medium wealth tourists, the government just trys to play the 'happy, big spending tune' to try and impress the rich thai voters.

Jimsknight, you're defintely the post of the day winner. :D

... I cannot think of a single friend, even the ones that do enjoy the sex industry from time to time, that have that as their sole criteria for living here....

You are dead right, the biggest impact on the sex industry would be changing local attitudes to reduce demand. I suspect demand in Bangkok at least, is falling, and is getting increasingly regulated. But, yeah, 80-90% of the sex industry is in the hands of Thais, and not foreigners.

I cannot think of a single friend, even the ones that do enjoy the sex industry from time to time, that have that as their sole criteria for living here....

Either you have NO friends at all, or the ones that you do are LIARS. :D

I am all up for a trip to Resort from time to time, and I don't mind taking various friends to Patpong occasionally when requested, but for most of them it is something to do (or not) for like a couple of hours out of a 14 day trip, or the odd bit of, how you say, 'head relief'.

I swear that I cannot think of a single friend that would move/leave/not visit anymore if the sex industry wasn't here tomorrow; mind you being how young and hansum me and my pal(s) are, it might be that we are able to pull tail in any city we go yo yo yo without opening our wallets.

And that's not counting all the women friends.

Wezzcyde aiiiiiiiiiight.

Stever-o-o-o you're making this too easy. Read your quotes in bold above. :o btw, You never told me if you liked the dvds I gave you before I left.

Stever-o-o-o you're making this too easy. Read your quotes in bold above. :o btw, You never told me if you liked the dvds I gave you before I left.

yeah. tourists who are friends who come here + a few male/female non Thai expats? single as in any. I've dumped expats in as well; sosumi :D

I can't think of any that i know of that I look after from time to time that come here solely for the sex. Most hate the sex industry - some come for yacht racing, some for warm weather, some because their kids work here, some for a variety of things - I guess maybe I hang out with a different crowd. I don't doubt there are a large group of single men who come here solely to sleep around with women of ill repute, I just don't happen to know any that I count as a friend. No doubt there are plenty of them...however not more than 30% of total tourist arrivals, I even then I think that is massively overstating things.

Incidentally, calling going to the Resort is a bit of a stretch, but it is as close as i like to come to the sex industry - about on par with a skin bar only less on show (and as much available).

I think it isn't so much as fashionable as there actually now expats married and living here that have zero (NIL) interest in the sex trade. Many of the expat couples I know here are both foreigners - neither man nor woman is interested in going to patpong etc - they are too busy working and enjoying many of the things they like about THailand - adventure racing, sailing, things for their kids, business etc. Many of my foriegn friend's parents that come out here regularly as tourists are much the same. 30-40 years ago, a non Thai would have been unable to do many of these things, but now it is so simple to come here, and try a bunch of stuff in a warm climate.

The sex trade will never go away; no doubt. Neither for locals or tourists. I cannot think of any countries in the world without one. But how anyone thinks that focusing on the medical tourism, family tourism, MICE and higher spending markets who are not as keen on the sex trade makes no sense is beyond me. The facts show that this is where the growth in tourism numbers and spending has been coming from in the last 5 years. To deny these facts and try to show that tourism is predicated on the sex industry/easy women (which incidentally I consider to be separate attractions) is to deny facts:

- more than 50% of tourist arrivals are women and children

- at least some of the men coming here are coming in with family and/or have no great interest in the sex trade

- Thailand is already attracting more quality in terms of MICE, medical tourism, retirees - this is where a lot of tourism spending and numbers growth has come from since 2001

- there is no business case for persuing growth in numbers alone; total tourism spending is a function of spending per person X arrivals; there are clear differences by nationality and other buyergraphics - marketing logic says go for bigger spenders using a lifetime value of customer calculation

- there have already been controls put in place to restrict the sex trade in the tourist areas: closing hours, social order campaign, clothing restrictions, age restrictions, VISA restrictions (each of which the sex tourist portion of TV claim will be the final straw in Thai tourism, but this has proven to not be the case since most are still here!)

This is now descending into the fun of TV where we have two groups (well actually one massive group and then me) disagreeing. I propose a monster beer and french fries session during the rugger world cup; let's go to some skin bar like Gulliver where there are girls AND rugby, and see who likes what! Whos up for that?

First round my shout.

Kat: I've watched some of the DVDs and read some of the books; LOTS to get through and not enough time - have enjoyed all the music though :-) Thanks once again

Stevero, you're continuing to do a good job on this topic. I agree with most of what you say.

IMO, if Thailand could someday achieve an equivalent reputation of perhaps Holland, that would be ideal. When you mention "Holland," "Amsterdam," or "The Netherlands," what comes to mind? Is it the red light district? Is it Van Gogh? Is it Anne Frank? Drug dens? A very nice place to visit? Or all of the above? I think above all, you don't just immediately think of pay for play and hoes. That place has many redeeming qualities that make it an interesting and worthy place to visit and live.

Thailand should aspire to perhaps a similar impression. The pay for play trade will never be eliminated in Thailand.

Stevero, you're continuing to do a good job on this topic. I agree with most of what you say.

IMO, if Thailand could someday achieve an equivalent reputation of perhaps Holland, that would be ideal. When you mention "Holland," "Amsterdam," or "The Netherlands," what comes to mind? Is it the red light district? Is it Van Gogh? Is it Anne Frank? Drug dens? A very nice place to visit? Or all of the above? I think above all, you don't just immediately think of pay for play and hoes. That place has many redeeming qualities that make it an interesting and worthy place to visit and live.

Thailand should aspire to perhaps a similar impression. The pay for play trade will never be eliminated in Thailand.

totally agree with your Holland analogy. Vegas went from gambling to gambling plus entertainment plus sex. Mammoth went from skiing to year round resort. NZ went from some nice scenery to adventure sports and more. Singapore went from red light cess pool to plasticky but easy to get around place with lots of things to do with about 4-5 days, and continues to develop. Still has the red light bit, but it is much smaller; i understand it used to be like 400 floors of whores :o

I for one am not sure that TAT has what it takes to acheive this, but yeah, to get even a few different things together would work; having already mastered the full moon drug taking, sexy time and temples, perhaps playing up a few more strings of the bow (rather than just the g-string) is key.

Personally, i can't see anything wrong with TAT declaring a strategy centred around attracting quality tourists. Isnt that what every country wants. It doesnt automatically imply that backpackers will no longer will be welcome; it means a shifting of Thailand's tourism brand away from solely focusing on backpackers and sex tourists and towards spas, luxury resorts and the like.

Seems like a good strategic goal to me.

Of course Thailand is a fair way from that position now, but declaring it as a strategy is the right start and provides some directional sense for future policy developments.

I agree with you, Bendix.

Sure, Thailand has a long way to go. But how are they going to get there if they don't start by setting the direction? Would any of the complainers on this forum like their country to be treated like a giant cum bucket by the world? I guess I'm biased, because I personally can't stand tourists who come to my city and behave like idiots, have giant senses of entitlement, complain about everything and don't bother to learn a few phrases in the local language.

Money is only partly behind the "quality tourist" criteria; respect is the other big issue, IMHO. Tourism often brings out the worst in people, even from one rich country to another, and rarely gets better when people of poor-to-average income at home suddenly feel richer than most of the people around them. The "doesn't seek to exploit" and "spends money" criteria seem to be clearly aimed at sex tourists and backpackers. There are ok people from both these groups, but anyone who has walked down lower Suk on Saturday evening, or Had Rin beach the morning after a Full Moon party can surely have some sympathy for Thailand wanting to attract a different class of people?

:o Now, that's funny. This thread was getting a little tense. Steve, you're doing a good job of articulating reasons for the quality tourism angle, but nobody's going to shutter NEP, Patpong, Pattaya et al., and you know it.

As you say, farang-Thai prostitution is a drop in the bucket. But attracting a better quality of tourist goes beyond problems caused by prostitution. Sustainable tourism of any description is a valuable goal to pursue, above and beyond any illusions about bringing an end to sex tourism. For example, looking at ways to preserve Thailand's natural environment, which is surely one of the country's biggets assets. One hopes that the TAT can look at both sides of the coin: not just exploitative tourists, but alsoThai-run businesses who think only of short-term gain.

I don't like exploitation, on either side of the equation. In my own business life, I've always tried to honestly offer something of value to someone who wanted something of value. I think that this a good position to take, and I hope that is what Thailand is aiming for.

Edited by canadiangirl

Well, it's not called the oldest profession for nothing. But one hardly needs to be "neo-puritain", "prudish" or "victorian" to find certain aspects of it distasteful. Never mind wanting one's country to be considered as something more than a giant brothel for Westerners in search of cheap p*.

Edited by canadiangirl

Never mind wanting one's country to be considered as something more than a giant brothel for Westerners in search of cheap p*.

stop that ,

it's well documented that Westerners ARE a minority in the picture ............................

Never mind wanting one's country to be considered as something more than a giant brothel for Westerners in search of cheap p*.

stop that ,

it's well documented that Westerners ARE a minority in the picture ............................

I acknowledged that a few posts ago, you might have noticed. But if you're talking about attracting one type of tourist over another, you are dealing with changing public perceptions of Thailand, which don't always reflect the facts.

stop that ,

I acknowledged that a few posts ago, you might have noticed. But if you're talking about attracting one type of tourist over another, you are dealing with changing public perceptions of Thailand, which don't always reflect the facts.

Depends where you're getting your media from to a certain degree. "Public perception" of anywhere with a less than puritanical attitude to sex (such as certain European countries) are sometimes portrayed in right wing news outlets as cesspools too. By countries who have similar and even bigger problems right in their own backyards. :o

apologies I didn't notice ,

as for sticking to the facts , reefer madness would be a case study as to why it's a good idea .

Which Reefer Madness are you referring to? Eric Schlosser's? (There's also a movie called Reefer Madness, I think) I liked his Fast Food Nation, but I'm afraid I haven't read Reefer Madness. What is he saying about prostitution?

I'm not against people selling or paying for sex as an individual choice, but I think it sucks for a society to have prostitution as the the best economic option for a sizeable part of its population.

The press always loves salacious stories. I was astounded how some of the US TV reported the John Marc Karr story. I happened to be visiting the US at the time. First, they reported that he was picked up living in a sex tourist apartment building in a "seedy" part of Bangkok. They then cut to file footage of rows of beer bars with Thai girls in bikinis dancing on the bars, etc..

What B.S. I know that area well, and often drive through there. Sure that area is not the best, but there are expensive condos just up the road and more being built as the area is undergoing urban renewal. And, it's certainly not a beer bar or a go go area.

They then went on to cover not only prostitution, but the underage element as well, which again gave the impression it was rampant. From just viewing those reports, your immediate impression is that Thailand is little more than a sex destination. And, from what I hear, in Europe there are also occasional "documentaries" or reports on this. This has been going on for a long time.

Thailand will need to work very hard to overcome this long-standing impression in the world. Even last week, when I was in Sri Lanka, of all places, on a business trip, the subject of where I live came up in a meeting. Of course, it drew some wisecracks, smiles, and innuendo among the men. I'm personally sick of this. It happens in every country I visit (and I visit a lot of them), when they ask where I live. The first crack is that they all want to come and visit me, as they go wink, wink..

Edited by chinthee

The press always loves salacious stories. I was astounded how some of the US TV reported the John Marc Karr story. I happened to be visiting the US at the time. First, they reported that he was picked up living in a sex tourist apartment building in a "seedy" part of Bangkok. They then cut to file footage of rows of beer bars with Thai girls in bikinis dancing on the bars, etc..

What B.S. I know that area well, and often drive through there. Sure that area is not the best, but there are expensive condos just up the road and more being built as the area is undergoing urban renewal. And, it's certainly not a beer bar or a go go area.

They then went on to cover not only prostitution, but the underage element as well, which again gave the impression it was rampant. From just viewing those reports, your immediate impression is that Thailand is little more than a sex destination. And, from what I hear, in Europe there are also occasional "documentaries" or reports on this. This has been going on for a long time.

Thailand will need to work very hard to overcome this long-standing impression in the world. Even last week, when I was in Sri Lanka, of all places, on a business trip, the subject of where I live came up in a meeting. Of course, it drew some wisecracks, smiles, and innuendo among the men. I'm personally sick of this. It happens in every country I visit (and I visit a lot of them), when they ask where I live. The first crack is that they all want to come and visit me, as they go wink, wink..

I know the feeling.........anyway, it is obvious to all here that you cannot legislate your way out of the problem of prostitution in Thailand. Making crazy changes to visa rules and proclaiming that you want "quality tourists" will not do it.

95% or more of the prostitution is Thai-Thai.......it has a long history in Thailand. Today, the only way to get rid of it is to give girls/women opportunities to earn a decent living doing something else. First, you educate them. Second, you concentrate on economic development of the type that will generate jobs: small scale businessness.

Thailand is doing the opposite........with predicatable results.

One more thing: Rich males probably frequent prostitutes more than poor males.............quality has nothing to do with it. It is human male nature coupled with the lack of basic opportunities for females.

Which Reefer Madness are you referring to? Eric Schlosser's? (There's also a movie called Reefer Madness, I think) I liked his Fast Food Nation, but I'm afraid I haven't read Reefer Madness. What is he saying about prostitution?

the movie and the predictable effects of hysteria ...................................

Well, it's not called the oldest profession for nothing. But one hardly needs to be "neo-puritain", "prudish" or "victorian" to find certain aspects of it distasteful. Never mind wanting one's country to be considered as something more than a giant brothel for Westerners in search of cheap p*.

Now for the Feminist perspective. :D

Today, the only way to get rid of it is to give girls/women opportunities to earn a decent living doing something else. First, you educate them. Second, you concentrate on economic development of the type that will generate jobs: small scale businessness.

So, how do you think the Japanese and Farang sex workers in Tokyo fit ino your ideal world ?

Have you any idea at all of the ammount of western women working in Tokyo nightclubs, and I'm not talking only ex Soviet bloc countries ? I'm talking US, UK, Australia, NZ, France, Italy........(all countries with social security)...............Tokyo is alive with western women working as hostesses

Tokyo has a much better nightlife than Bangkok ever will have, it's just that for the majority of people, it's out of their price range.

If Japan was cheap, Farangs would be pouring into Narita Airport instead of Bkk Airport, Thailand is the destination for budget Farangs, it's cheap ............like the majority of Farangs that arrive there, they blend well together.

Look at the state of many Farangs inThailand, you think Tokyo would welcome you? :o

Edited by Maigo6

"Sufficiency Tourism": Thailand's Policy on Quality Tourism (07/08/2007)

Minister of Tourism and Sports Suvit Yodmani has stressed the Government's policy of developing Thailand into a quality tourism destination and attracting the arrival of quality tourists.

Mr. Suvit on 3 August 2007 made an inspection tour of Krabi province in the South to follow up on the progress of the projects under the "green and happiness" strategic plan. During his meeting with the Governor of Krabi and other senior officials, Mr. Suvut explained that quality tourism means "Sufficiency Tourism" in accordance with His Majesty the King's initiative concerning environmental care. Sufficiency Tourism focuses on tourism disciplines and standards. In the first stage, some tourists might not be satisfied with it, but he believed that an intensified campaign for this policy would bring about success.

According to Mr. Suvit, quality tourists should have purchasing power and not exploit the country and the people. They must not create problems that lead to natural and environmental destruction. Attracting a large number of tourists overall is not as important as the number of quality tourists. He cited the slogan "Tourism in the Thai lifestyle against global warming" as a principle in promoting the policy of Sufficiency Tourism.

Mr. Suvit said that he wanted Krabi to become a "green season" destination, which attracts tourist arrivals all year round regardless of seasons. Krabi has great potential for tourism because of its readiness in terms of diverse natural beauty. Recognized as an eco-tourism center in the Andaman Sea, the province boasts many tourist attractions, such as hot springs and marine tourist sites. The local people also have a unique way of life that visitors find interesting.

With these special features, he believes that quality tourists will revisit Krabi. After the December 2004 tsunami, Krabi saw its tourist arrivals decline by only 10 percent. During the first six months of 2007, this province hosted about 600,000 visitors. The number is expected to reach two million by the end of the year.

Mr. Suvit suggested that Krabi link its tourism plan, in a systematic manner, with the nearby provinces of Phang-nga and Phuket. In particular, it should hold sports events to be promoted together with tourism activities. Among the sports events are a run, walkathon, and bicycle tour along coastal areas. He stressed the importance of environmental preservation and the maintenance of quality tourism destinations in order to make Krabi a green season place for quality tourists.

Mr. Suvit ordered various agencies under the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to propose an action plan for Krabi, Phang-nga, and Phuket within 30 days. The action plan will be used as a guideline to promote tourism in the three provinces in the Andaman Sea.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=2203

"According to Mr. Suvit, quality tourists should have purchasing power and not exploit the country and the people. They must not create problems that lead to natural and environmental destruction. Attracting a large number of tourists overall is not as important as the number of quality tourists. He cited the slogan "Tourism in the Thai lifestyle against global warming" as a principle in promoting the policy of Sufficiency Tourism."

"Quality touirists" have PURCHASING POWER,

"Quality touirists" do not exploit the country and the people

"Quality touirists" do not create problems that lead to natural and environmental destruction

It becomes clear to me about "the new orders from the boss" about the visa extension and the requirement of "fresh" 800K Baht imported every year .......

MORE TOP DOWN DILUSIONAL BABBLE

It becomes clear to me about "the new orders from the boss" about the visa extension and the requirement of "fresh" 800K Baht imported every year .......

There is no such requirement!

Where does such poppycock get started?

That felt good. Haven't used the word poppycock in quite a while!

pop·py·cock (pŏp'ē-kŏk') pronunciation

n.

Senseless talk; nonsense.

[Dutch dialectal pappekak : pap, pap (from Middle Dutch pappe, perhaps from Latin pappa, food) + kak, dung (from kakken, to defecate, from Middle Dutch kacken, from Latin cacāre).]

Edited by Jingthing

Today, the only way to get rid of it is to give girls/women opportunities to earn a decent living doing something else. First, you educate them. Second, you concentrate on economic development of the type that will generate jobs: small scale businessness.

So, how do you think the Japanese and Farang sex workers in Tokyo fit ino your ideal world ?

Have you any idea at all of the ammount of western women working in Tokyo nightclubs, and I'm not talking only ex Soviet bloc countries ? I'm talking US, UK, Australia, NZ, France, Italy........(all countries with social security)...............Tokyo is alive with western women working as hostesses

The problem is that "prostitution" describes several situations that have very little in common with each other. I have friends in Thailand who are "freelance" hookers on the gay scene. They make a lot of money for very little sex, sometimes receiving ridiculous sums from farang men abroad who are after them like puppy dogs. On the other side of things, you have country brothels for Thai truck drivers and construction workers, and the equivalent in neighboring countries, where women trafficked from the hilltribes, Burma, Cambodia, and China labor in what is effectively slavery, with no choice as to their customers, working conditions or price.

In the first world, "prostitution" covers both crack whores standing on street corners, and call girls who make 500$/hour. There is a woman who advertizes herself as "the educated escort" in the U.S. -- a companion for rich, intellectual men whose rate is 10 000$/day.

Those most motivated by desperation and lack of other opportunities are also the most vulnerable to exploitation and abuse, since they can't just pick up and go somewhere else. This isn't just limited to prostitutes, you can read about migrant workers (men) from Issan who go to other countries to work in construction, agriculture, and have to pay ridiculous sums to agents. get paid 1/10 of what they were promised, etc.

In poor countries, there just aren't that many other jobs around period, never mind jobs that pay as well as prostitution. Even girls who would choose prostitution under the best of economic conditions need something to fall back on when they become too old for the industry.

Edited by canadiangirl