Trip To Australia

My Thai lady and I are planning a trip to Australia for March 2008. She is single and never been out of Thailand. I know it'll be an uphill battle getting her a visitor's visa but I think I've done my homework, thanks to this forum, and will be ready to submit our applications shortly. My question is how much time should I give for the Australian embassy to make their reply? Is there such a thing as submitting the paperwork too early? I can't find anything on the Australian Embassy website or here in our forum.

Edited by Sojourner

My Thai lady and I are planning a trip to Australia for March 2008. She is single and never been out of Thailand. I know it'll be an uphill battle getting her a visitor's visa but I think I've done my homework, thanks to this forum, and will be ready to submit our applications shortly. My question is how much time should I give for the Australian embassy to make their reply? Is there such a thing as submitting the paperwork too early? I can't find anything on the Australian Embassy website or here in our forum.

Good Day Sojourner,

I have been through it this year. We lodged on a Monday, went to Hua Hin for a weeks holiday, stayed at BKK on the following Monday and got a call that arvo on the mobile phone questioning us. they will ask your girl questions over the phone first, then put you on to ask you a couple. The main one is " how long do you want a tourist visa for?" if you both say the same thing , you have a better chance. After the questions, we were immediatley told that we would be granted a 3 month visa and we could pick it up tommorow ( Tuesday ) 8 days after lodging. the officer on the phone said" from the information provided ie: the shortness of our relationship, they could only grant a 3 month visa. I was still very happy. We met on the 12/2 stayed together for 1 month in LOs. I came home for 1 month. Went back for another month together and it was 2 weeks into this month that we lodged, so theroyetically we known each other for 2 1/2 months and been together for 6 weeks out of that. I put as much info as i could with the application.

We have since been married and are lodging the spouse visa tommorow in Bkk. I am nervous but confident. The Truth allways wins, and the truth is i love my gal.

Mate it is not an uphill battle. They know how to spot geniune beginnings of relationships. If you are true to yourself and know in your heart that you want to be together, then tell them. We said the primary reason for her applying for a tourist visa was to see the sights and experience the cultural values of Australia, but even more highlighted was we told them that we wanted to continue to develop our realationship. they are human beings and although they do an important job keeping Australia the best place to live, by ensuring that we as individualls abide by the law, i think that they are happy to help 2 people be together. Providing it will contribute to the greater good of society in our community. I'm going on arn't i. you can tell i'm on holidays and haven't much to do. :D

Good luck mate.

As Barnsey sang, there ain't nothing like the kisses of a cheated asian Mrs. :o

Good Day Sojourner,

I have been through it this year. We lodged on a Monday, went to Hua Hin for a weeks holiday, stayed at BKK on the following Monday and got a call that arvo on the mobile phone questioning us. they will ask your girl questions over the phone first, then put you on to ask you a couple. The main one is " how long do you want a tourist visa for?" if you both say the same thing , you have a better chance. After the questions, we were immediatley told that we would be granted a 3 month visa and we could pick it up tommorow ( Tuesday ) 8 days after lodging. the officer on the phone said" from the information provided ie: the shortness of our relationship, they could only grant a 3 month visa. I was still very happy. We met on the 12/2 stayed together for 1 month in LOs. I came home for 1 month. Went back for another month together and it was 2 weeks into this month that we lodged, so theroyetically we known each other for 2 1/2 months and been together for 6 weeks out of that. I put as much info as i could with the application.

We have since been married and are lodging the spouse visa tommorow in Bkk. I am nervous but confident. The Truth allways wins, and the truth is i love my gal.

Mate it is not an uphill battle. They know how to spot geniune beginnings of relationships. If you are true to yourself and know in your heart that you want to be together, then tell them. We said the primary reason for her applying for a tourist visa was to see the sights and experience the cultural values of Australia, but even more highlighted was we told them that we wanted to continue to develop our realationship. they are human beings and although they do an important job keeping Australia the best place to live, by ensuring that we as individualls abide by the law, i think that they are happy to help 2 people be together. Providing it will contribute to the greater good of society in our community. I'm going on arn't i. you can tell i'm on holidays and haven't much to do. :D

Good luck mate.

As Barnsey sang, there ain't nothing like the kisses of a cheated asian Mrs. :o

Fantastic news mate,i wish you both all the very best...

A decision can be made for a tourist visa in about 10 days.

You have 3 months to activate that visa once it has been stamped into her passport.

Thanks Mighty Mouse for your quick response. I'll submit the apps at the beginning of the three month window before our travel date and hope she'll not have a problem. Bad timing as the three month window starts during the Christmas Holidays.

Sojourner: You may know this, but you can have all the paperwork sent to the Visa Section of the Australian Embassy by their representative/courier right here in Chiang Mai and avoid the trip to Bkk.

Details are on the Visa Section website. The designated courier service is on Hang Dong road on the west side of the street behind the Nissan Dealer.

Very interesting, just yesterday I had my wife filling in the visa application (48R) as a practice run, the only question we had a problem with was re employment, she doesn't work so I fell back on a good old Aussie reply, 'Home Duties'. I trust this will be acceptable?

I will be going to the Chiang Mai collection point also, any excuse to avoid a trip to sweaty Bangkok!!

Colin

We have been through the 3 month visa twice now. Each time thestaff have been prompt and courteous, about one week from application. The vise we have is for 3 months AND  is valid for one year.

Hope this helps,  good luck.

We have been through the 3 month visa twice now. Each time thestaff have been prompt and courteous, about one week from application. The vise we have is for 3 months AND  is valid for one year.

Hope this helps,  good luck.

That sounds like a 12month Multi entry.....does it have a "Must not arrive after" date ???