My 3rd Long Overstay Aka: Land Of Smiles

So yeah. Just got back to the USA after my 3rd long overstay, all of them about 2 years in length. I know... I know, all the old farts and bible thumpers and gonna jump in this thread with doom and gloom and "you should be shot"... I just want those that are overstaying because they are scared of immigration (in Thailand or other countries) to know that they have options, and that they should not be scared to clear things up. So before you guys bust up here with your predictable replies and "hate" just let me say:

1. Yes, I know you will go to jail and be deported if caught (not fun, not cool, hel_l on earth)

2. No, I don't think it is a "good" alternative to doing things legit, but...

3. Not everyone has millions of baht in the bank, a thai wife, a college degree, 20,000baht to show every month, retirement(death) fund, daddy's uncles cousin police chief immigrations friend, etc...

4. And very important: there is no reason to be afraid if you turn yourself in to immigration and pay the maximum fine. Period.

This is not an option for the faint of heart, or those that want to do things by the books, but actually as a friend of mine once said" you have the cheapest visa in Thailand".

Thailand should be applauded by the law and culture behind this option- Turn yourself in, pay the fine, walk.

Edited by Mr.StickyRice

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah. Just got back to the USA after my 3rd long overstay, all of them about 2 years in length. I know... I know, all the old farts and bible thumpers and gonna jump in this thread with doom and gloom and "you should be shot"... I just want those that are overstaying because they are scared of immigration (in Thailand or other countries) to know that they have options, and that they should not be scared to clear things up. So before you guys bust up here with your predictable replies and "hate" just let me say:

1. Yes, I know you will go to jail and be deported if caught (not fun, not cool, hel_l on earth)

3. Not everyone has millions of baht in the bank, a thai wife, a college degree, 20,000baht to show every month, retirement(death) fund, daddy's uncles cousin police chief immigrations friend, etc...

4. And very important: there is no reason to be afraid if you turn yourself in to immigration and pay the maximum fine. Period.

This is not an option for the faint of heart, or those that want to do things by the books, but actually as a friend of mine once said" you have the cheapest visa in Thailand".

Thailand should be applauded by the law and culture behind this option- Turn yourself in, pay the fine, walk.

Can't say i agree with it but i met a guy before who didn't have a visa, he said he'd been here for 4 years, when he left he had no problems just a 20'000 baht fine, when working it out he'd saved a lot of money and has no problem if he wants to return to the Kingdom.

Chris.

I suppose this approach is just fine and dandy until either: 1) you do get caught and tossed into the IDC, or 2) the Thai authorities finally get serious about overstayers and returning to the kingdom after an overstay is a no-go (as it would be in many other countries).

Edited by ovenman

And

I am sure your parents are happy to have you back for the third time. LOL

nope. The first 2 times I just went to Laos/Malaysia and walked right back. I was even kinda worried about US immigration and all the crazy visa stamps, but they just waved me ahead of a serious gaggle of CHINESE immigrants and didn't even ask 1 question.

I don't get it, why would the U.S. care if you over stayed in Thailand.

As long as you did not have a stamp that was from Cuba, Iran or N. Korea they would not give a hoot.

Most likely any freinds & family in the U.S. would not even find it funny or an accomplish worth talking about.

He is not the only person to do this….

Me I have 800,000 in the bank and a yearly Visa, report every 90days, own a Thai car and drivers license in my name…

yet a UK in the next Village has lived here 17years with NO money sat in the Bank, No Visa, No 90day reporting……… !! has 2 cars + a custom built Chopper, No Thai driver licence [car or bike] says it is pointless buying car/bike road tax as the fine is much cheaper than the yearly fee, he dose have Insurance..

Christmas 2005 he went to UK for 6 weeks, yes he paid a small fine but no problem and was back again…

Make one wonder with all the hassle and expense some of use have to go through to live here.

Edited by Maestro
Removed bold font format of entire post.

Mr. StickyRice, you do have a point certainly and I've spent all in all a ridiculous sum, far more than THB 20k, for Thai Visas already and still I think I want to keep it legal. And the reason is: A few years back I saw on Swiss TV a documentary about prisons and detainees in Thailand and I tell you that scared the hel_l out of me and I only hope and touch wood, that I will never ever run into serious problems with Thai law and the men in brown.

Moreover, last year I had the chance to visit somebody at Khon Kaen mental hospital and I tell you the sight and smell was not nice indeed.

I don't get it, why would the U.S. care if you over stayed in Thailand.

As long as you did not have a stamp that was from Cuba, Iran or N. Korea they would not give a hoot.

Most likely any freinds & family in the U.S. would not even find it funny or an accomplish worth talking about.

I have told them and they don't give a shit really. They agree with me that I shouldn't have to live like a criminal just because the Thai government looks down on people that are not rich or don't have a piece of paper that says they are good at jumping through hoops aka. a college degree.

I know people that have lied to the American Embassy about degrees and money in bank and other things just to get a work permit/visa etc... I didn't have to lie to anyone

The average cost per month for a legal visa is 2,000 baht per month (combo tourist and 30 day visa waver - visa runs via luxury coach). 67 baht per day. For this price you do not have to worry about looking over your shoulder and you have freedom to travel outside of the country at your pleasure.

It seems we all just create our own prisons.

The average cost per month for a legal visa is 2,000 baht per month (combo tourist and 30 day visa waver - visa runs via luxury coach). 67 baht per day. For this price you do not have to worry about looking over your shoulder and you have freedom to travel outside of the country at your pleasure.

2,000baht per month to sit on a bus for the whole day and not have anything to eat and not be able to buy anything ( I would not feel comfortable leaving and returning to the country without spending 3,000baht+) and have to show 20,000baht in the bank and miss time from work, etc...

I would guess the real price of visa runs for a year to be around 35,000baht/year to be realistic.

miss time from work, etc...

So we can assume you are working without the proper paperwork as well?

Nut cases abound methinks :o

Yes nutcase because I did not finish college...I guess Bill Gates is on your nutcase list too, but he could just come here and buy off the Thai government and you guys would be hanging on his nutsack...

Hi Sticky:

I'd like to know what kind of a fun time you had during those 6 years, i mean without a visa you can't go checking into guesthouses or hotels (unless they are short-time ones). So, all you did was stay put in one place all the time? Personally, i don't see much point in coming to LOS if you can't travel around the country a bit, with peace of mind.

Well, you took your chance. It's the same as the other guy on the other thread who got bit by a dog. The chances are you won't get rabies, but as on an overstay, if you do get caught - you are in serious trouble, that is the severe risk you take.

By the way, i knew a guy once who overstayed 7 years - twice. So, you are not gonna win any medals - for champion over-stayer.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Hi Sticky again:

I just came across another thread of yours when some guy claiming to be a cop rushed into your house looking for drugs and you told us you went to the Tourist Police. How can you seriously report a matter (and get a police report you claimed) to the Police if you are on an overstay?

Mr Sticky and the Tourist Police

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Hi Sticky again:

I just came across another thread of yours when some guy claiming to be a cop rushed into your house looking for drugs and you told us you went to the Tourist Police. How can you seriously report a matter (and get a police report you claimed) to the Police if you are on an overstay?

Mr Sticky and the Tourist Police

guest house, apartment, motorbike rentals, were never a problem (they never checked), travel I just used a copy of my passport no problem. I wasn't hiding under a rock the whole time, the tourist police didn't ask to see my passport because I didn't file the report myself, my roomate did.

This is not a "hey look at how punk I am" more than a "hey if Thailand is gonna make the rules difficult for someone like myself to live here, then things like this will happen"...

Read the bold parts of my OP again

2,000baht per month to sit on a bus for the whole day and not have anything to eat and not be able to buy anything ( I would not feel comfortable leaving and returning to the country without spending 3,000baht+) and have to show 20,000baht in the bank and miss time from work, etc...

I would guess the real price of visa runs for a year to be around 35,000baht/year to be realistic.

Nah… a recommended visa run service on this board goes for 1,900 baht lunch included. With a combo of Tourist visas and Visa Wavers you would not have to leave the country every month, some months would be the 2nd of your tourist visa, and some months would only require a visit to a immigration office to have a tourist visa extended (fee 1,900). You can actually pull off a do-it-yourself visa run for less than 1,900.

2,000 per month is a good number.

Two other points - 1st having to show funds of 20,000 baht does not exactly limit only Bill Gates and his crowd to entry ( it seems rare that anyone at all actually has to provide proof at any rate).

2nd point as far as missing a whole day of work - if you are working illegally it greatly increases your chances of getting caught on a visa violation in the first place - so any "savings" you acuminate could easy be lost with one bust.

(large size due to spacing problem)

Edited by Maestro
Resolved spacing problem and restored default size.

The cost of doing things legitimately has been grossly underestimated on here I think.

Flying to home country to get non immigrant visa - 40000

Visa and travel - 10000

3 visa runs - 6000

So annual costs of around 56,000, maybe 50,000 if they had somewhere to stay in their home country.

Doing the tourist visa way costs depend upon where you are. Lets say you can get to the airport in Bangkok.

Taxis, flights, hotel in Penang, visa fee, etc. - 10000 4 times a year = 40000

4 extensions at 1900 - 7600

So annual costs of doing tourist runs via air to Penang cost about 48,000 and you have no guarantee that they will not refuse you one time.

Previous 12 * visa runs @ 2000 = 24,000

So as far as i see it, the OP was saving an average of around 14,000 per year and would now save an average of nearly 40,000 or so per year. That is the average income of numerous households in some areas !

Yeah!

Totally agree with you.

You have peace of mind for 67 THB a day...

Illegal stay in Thailand is coming with unrest in the mind.

What the heck, just pay 67 THB a day and live like a king in France; in Thailand.

Grtz

I don't think you calculating real costs. The 60 day tourist visa is 1000 baht(100 ringgit) and its 1900 baht for 30 day extension. How much was your bus or plane, lodging, food, entry visa to Laos, VN if applicable. I go to KL from CM via AirAsia and they cheapest I can do it is about 4000 baht a month.