Spaying/neutering Ferrets?

I want a ferret for a number of reasons but do not want to breed them.

I've read that sterilizing a ferret decreases hormonal activity which in turn decreases the offensive odor.

Does anyone know any vets that will be able to perform the procedure?

If you are only concerned about the odour, try feeding half a chlorophyll tablet , once a week , these tablets are cheap and readily available in health food shops every where, zoos have been using this method of neutralising the odours of strong smelling animals such as , skunks, fox, weasel ,martin and stoat for years :o Nignoy

• 2 weeks later...
If you are worried about them breeding why cant you keep the males and females separate ? or just keep males or females ?

Were you not taught about the birds and the bees laugh.gif

YOU HAVE TO BREED A FEMALE FERRET OR STERILIZE HER; FEMALES GET AN AIDS TYPE DISEASE CAUSED BY OUT OF KILTER HORMONES IF THEY DO NOT OVULATE ! !! AND THEY OVULATE ONLY WITH PENETRATION BY MALE...

u must either breed her, or stimulate her to ovulation (a thermometer in the vulva) which doesnt seem to have a good track record; or give her pmg shots (if u deal with milk cows u can get the hormone from their vet)...

i had one of my females die slowly due to this complication and the hormonal imbalance had already caused irreVersible damage to her system: eyes, bones, pernicous anemia etc...

NEUTERING is the best for pet ferrets, including the males although we have an intact male who is very friendly but smelly. his mate is preggers, we hope that breeding two albinos wont cause too much havoc ; the sable girls are all spayed.

u must vaccinate ferrets for canine distemper, rabies, parvovirus and leptospirosis...

their food is the same as for kittens

ivomac oral for worming

bina