O Mally's

naammanow

Not sure what is going on at O’Mally’s, but have not had a very welcoming reception during the many times that I visit. O’Mally is a great pub on the Anusarn market and I visit it at least once a week as it is on my way home from work and because they have Weissen beer on draft. However it seems that the lady at the bar, her name is Ros, has a personal something against me. I think she is the manager, or boss as the other staff are a bit under her. Last Friday was the same, again, and she managed to spoil another evening for me after telling me that I could not sit at the bar (3 stools were free) and had to sit “at the back” (which I ignored) Anyway, more things happened. I asked her why she could not just be nice to her customers instead of being rude? Obviously by then my mood was really soured.When I mentioned to her that I would like to share my – unhappy - experience with my friends in Chiang Mai, I did not get a standing ovation, but a general approval of the people present was muttered. Not sure if anybody else has had some same experience or maybe it is a personal issue with me? Anyway, if somebody knows where I can get Weissen beer (Ardinger, or anything else) on draft, I will gladly take my patronage somewhere else.

If it is a case of "deja vu" and "all over again" and a future of again and again, I wonder why nobody takes the bull by the horn and changes what is happening. Think it's a shame as the pub is great, the people are friendly and talkative and the food is also pretty good (eat there many many times) And the rest of the staff . . just great, big smiles all around! You know what they say about the one r@tten apple in the basket? A pity for such a place.

Only the other day I was thinking about how much I miss the Red Lion v O'Malley debate and lo and behold it pops back up.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would persist in returning to a bar or any place of business where they don't feel welcome. There are so many alternative venues from which to choose.

CB

However it seems that the lady at the bar, her name is Ros, has a personal something against me.

She probably thinks you are the one who is spreading all the nasty rumors about O'Malley's on the Internet that are ruining her business. :D

On the contrary, I have no business interests at all in Chiang Mai and rather give free advise to make businesses improve and have a bright future instead of going downhill (my previous job was in marketing) and yes, like Crow bay says, maybe I am the s@cker visiting again and again; so should vote with my feet. :o

Only the other day I was thinking about how much I miss the Red Lion v O'Malley debate and lo and behold it pops back up.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would persist in returning to a bar or any place of business where they don't feel welcome. There are so many alternative venues from which to choose.

CB

can't agree more.

"I personally cannot understand why anyone would persist in returning to a bar or any place of business where they don't feel welcome. There are so many alternative venues from which to choose."

Exactly Crowy. Been there 2x in four years and that was enough for me. I was an invite each time by other friends. we waited and waited for unfriendly service so... I don't go there on my own. Too bad for all the businesses with no sense of customer service. Whenever one shop, eatery, or hotel etc catches on, they go on to untold successes everyone migrates to where things work easily and happily the way they should. And I'm more than happy to speak of who does a good job and help spread the good word.

And here's one: Together Bar off Loi Kroh Soi 1. You take a rt at Soi 1, the place is up ahead half a block on the right. Good mix of Farangs and Thais, even straight n otherwise at times. Just a place to run into friends, and friends of friends. Mai, the owner is super nice and funny too And her staff is great. It's not a girlie bar, just a place to hang out and play some pool and drink. The girlie bar right across the way is fun to watch as it drags in all the passers thru in town though. Got some real crazies working there - definitely great to watch the action from Together Bar. Oh, and get this, a LARGE BOTTLE OF SINGH = 80 Baht !!! Mai is there working on the principle that friendliness will bring loyalty and no need to overcharge and it has brought her that steady business. They also have some bar tradition of Flaming Sambuca shots with a coffee bean or two in the bottom. Kind of fun...when it's in the mix of a night out and various drinks. Be sure to try one. Beats tequilla.

However it seems that the lady at the bar, her name is Ros, has a personal something against me.

She probably thinks you are the one who is spreading all the nasty rumors about O'Malley's on the Internet that are ruining her business. :D

On the contrary, I have no business interests at all in Chiang Mai and rather give free advise to make businesses improve and have a bright future instead of going downhill (my previous job was in marketing) and yes, like Crow bay says, maybe I am the s@cker visiting again and again; so should vote with my feet. :o

This may come as a surprise to you but O'Malley's has been a successful bar/restaurant for many years despite your opinion and free advice. I would be much more impressed with your marketing expertise if you started up a business in Chiang Mai and was able to run it as a sustainable proposition. Then people would be writing up reviews of your place and saying "hey there is a great bar/restaurant and you should check it out"

CB

I was in O'Malley's about 3 weeks ago with some old friends (Yes I do have some friends). I must say there was absolutely nothing wrong with the service or the quality of the Kilkenny. I was with a group of about 6 people and not once did we have to wait for service.

The staff greeted us warmly as we came in the door, especially by my dear friend Rose who I have known for 10 years or more when she was working in another establishment not too far from O'Malley's.

Mind you Rose recognises various qualities in patrons and shows respect to those that deserve it.

Nothing against O'Malley's, I just get my Guiness and my bit of craic at the Leprechaun now, thanks to UG's constant (mostly correct) raving.

The Laughing Leprechaun is a great pub - not that I make a habit of drinking Guinness outside Ireland - but when the craving gets too much the Leprechaun does serve the best pint of G I've had in Asia - and the best Irish Stew too!

I was in O'Malley's about 3 weeks ago with some old friends (Yes I do have some friends). I must say there was absolutely nothing wrong with the service or the quality of the Kilkenny. I was with a group of about 6 people and not once did we have to wait for service.

The staff greeted us warmly as we came in the door, especially by my dear friend Rose who I have known for 10 years or more when she was working in another establishment not too far from O'Malley's.

Mind you Rose recognises various qualities in patrons and shows respect to those that deserve it.

Is Rose his wife? If so I know her too.

Nothing against O'Malley's, I just get my Guiness and my bit of craic at the Leprechaun now, thanks to UG's constant (mostly correct) raving.

Guinness on tap at The Pub and The Queen Vic. Both good pubs with friendly staff. :o

Edited by Austhaied

Guinness on tap at The Pub and The Queen Vic. Both good pubs with friendly staff. :D

I'll drink to that :D

Personally I think that O'Malley's bashing has well run it's course. I have known Rose for probably fifteen years, and she either likes you or she doesn't. She did, however confide in me some time ago that she thought Blinky Bill was up himself, but that's another story. I don't go there out of choice, but that's another story too, and not for this forum. Let's all agree to disagree............ :o

The only thing I have against O' Malley's is that they allow patrons to smoke, but have a terrible ventilation system. In short, the place STINKS and it ruins the taste of your food. I can put up with cigarettes in a restaurant if the place is well ventilated, but if not, it just REEKS of smoke and I won't eat there. :o

Guinness on tap at The Pub and The Queen Vic. Both good pubs with friendly staff. :D

Personally I think that O'Malley's bashing has well run it's course. I have known Rose for probably fifteen years, and she either likes you or she doesn't. She did, however confide in me some time ago that she thought Blinky Bill was up himself, but that's another story. I don't go there out of choice, but that's another story too, and not for this forum. Let's all agree to disagree............ :o

Sorry, I'm not going to disagree that Blinky is up himself.. :D

Sorry, I'm not going to disagree that Blinky is up himself.. :D

If I could give myself a blowjob I would (well maybe) but I can't. Seeing as can't get my head past the nuts it would be impossible to stick my head up my arse to be up myself. So obviously you guys are just kidding!! Aren't you??

Wa*ker would be more appropriate.

See both you pricks on Saturday night!!

What a pathetic bunch of losers. This topic has been done to death surely. Some of these people really need to get a life and quietly boycott businesses that don't grovel to their outmoded notions of the raj.

I watched the last slagging match with disgust (why do these people live here if they don't like it!).

Yes, I am a regular at O'Malleys. I get on well with Rose. I expect she's like me. She has a low tolerance for d*ckheads. Scott is a great bloke and I suspect he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Is there a moderator for this topic. Should this be a topic anymore.

There is a lady selling kebabs at Ruam Shok plaza. She is really surly and refuses to speak english even when you raise your voice and shout in english at her! Let's leave O'Malleys to enjoy the people that enjoy them!!