Bid To Be Region's Education Hub

Mid

Bid to be region's education hub

Published on August 13, 2007

Thailand stands a "good chance" of becoming a regional education hub, according to the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation Secretariat (SEAMEO) deputy director Dr Chantavit Sujatanond at a recent seminar.

"Many important international organisations working in educational fields have their offices in Thailand," she said. However, Thailand - like most other SEAMEO countries - would need to improve English standards among its people, otherwise the language barrier would remain a great obstacle.

snip

Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

They would need to to some to beat the breadth of Education establishments offering degree's in Singapore - overseas Uni's from say the UK, USA and Australia and not just the mickey mouse degree mills.

INSEAD, Chicago Business School, Manchester Business School are just three of probably over 20 offering MBA's here never mind the likes of NUS and Nanyang.

Some of the courses are 50% of what the exact same course would cost say in the UK.

Then there are hundreds of other undergrad degree level and above courses.

Cost of living could be in Thailands favour though.

Edited by Prakanong

Impossibe to catch up with Singapore. They have a plan to have 150, 000 foreign students enrolled by 2015, they are on target. Only the best foreign unis have been invited from mainly the US but UNSW has a campus as well. The Sunday Times consistently rank primary education for science and maths ahead of the US, UK and Oz.

Thai schools seem only concerned whether collages on walls should have pink or blue flowers.

Notice this was written by a Thai Dr Chantavit Sujatanond

Impossibe to catch up with Singapore. They have a plan to have 150, 000 foreign students enrolled by 2015, they are on target. Only the best foreign unis have been invited from mainly the US but UNSW has a campus as well. The Sunday Times consistently rank primary education for science and maths ahead of the US, UK and Oz.

Thai schools seem only concerned whether collages on walls should have pink or blue flowers.

Notice this was written by a Thai Dr Chantavit Sujatanond

I think you had better read up on the UNSW debacle but everything else you hit the nail on the head :o

Bid to be region's education hub

Published on August 13, 2007

Thailand stands a "good chance" of becoming a regional education hub, according to the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organisation Secretariat (SEAMEO) deputy director Dr Chantavit Sujatanond at a recent seminar.

"Many important international organisations working in educational fields have their offices in Thailand," she said. However, Thailand - like most other SEAMEO countries - would need to improve English standards among its people, otherwise the language barrier would remain a great obstacle.

snip

Chularat Saengpassa

The Nation

I suspect that Dr. Chantavit is trying to score some publicity points here. Thailand as a "regional education hub" seems a bit far-fetched. Thailand as a "regional papermill hub" would be more realistic (and perhaps also a present reality).

... just another comment by a Thai "politician" (quotes intended) that we might smile, smirk, and wink about. There are few things here that can be taken seriously (court jesters abound) - except that that the "politicians" will continue to be the Rich who get richer; and the sheep will keep smiling (LOS) and 'baaah, baaah' (translation: Mai Pen Rai) with their inimitable sense of humour.

Keep your distance and your <sensible> sense of humour.

Is it so good though for such a concentration on marks in a place like Singapore?

When I see kids well under 10 leaving my condo for school in Singapore at around 6 in the morning I think I would never want that if I had kids.

Then go onto the street at that time and there are lots of older kids making their way to school carrying their large bags.

Try getting a seat in my local McDonalds - its full of schoolkids and students doing their work at all hours - chocka block full on a Sunday afternoon. They spread out over a few tables in a group doing a group project. The other day at lunchtime in Bugis 4 had taken residence and even had their own extension leads so they could all plug in laptops. The long type you would use in your garden for the mower followed by a 4 bar????

My expat boss from the PI sends her daughter to a good school but will not let her do the all day study thing - their has to be balance.

When I went for my MBA interview here I said I would not be pulling group all nighters with the Singaporeans and the guy laughed and said it was not needed - that why you need a mix of expats and locals to provide balance?

Edited by Prakanong