Air Asia Long Haul

Big A

Have constantly been checking the Air Asia website especially the link to their flights to Australia, Europe, China and India etc. Looks excellent (although I suspect all will be via KL). They promised to launch the service in mid 2007 and still nothing either on the website or in the air! Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about these new, low cost routes?

Edited by Big A

I understand that they are planning the start flights next month to Avalon (near Melbourne) and Gold Coast (not far from Brisbane). They have landing rights at Stansted (London's third airport) but no start date yet for this service. All flights will be from KL

Have constantly been checking the Air Asia website especially the link to their flights to Australia, Europe, China and India etc. Looks excellent (although I suspect all will be via KL). They promised to launch the service in mid 2007 and still nothing either on the website or in the air! Has anyone heard anything on the grapevine about these new, low cost routes?

I have heard that because of the stuff up in the delay in the A380's there

is a shortage of planes. Air Asia X were counting on getting hold of some

leased long haul aircraft but they wont be available until some of the A380's

are delivered

1) the long-haul-flights are being served by AIR-ASIA-X and will not be found on the regular airasia-website

2) Thai AirAsia's delays are past. since the other domestic airlines moved back to Don Muang, almost all airasia-flights are AHEAD of schedule. never had any delay since Don-Muang reopened, had 6 flights with them since then. 5 of them ahead of schedule (10-25 minutes), 1 just right on time.

3) THAI Air-Asia is NOT using "fresh" aircrafts. their aircrafts are quite old, none is less than 15 years old, most are 20-22 years old. only the Malaysian Air-Asia got new Airbus 320 already. most of AirAsia Malaysia's international destinations are being served by the new Airbus 320, while they still use some B737-300 on their domestic routes (particulary those aircrafts based in Borneo).

The THAI AIRASIA is expecting the first brand-new Airbus320 to be delivered around October. I am sure they will announce that for promotional purpose in the press

Edited by THAILIBAN

I have heard that because of the stuff up in the delay in the A380's there

is a shortage of planes. Air Asia X were counting on getting hold of some

leased long haul aircraft but they wont be available until some of the A380's

are delivered

The route map posted on the website is, to say the least, a bit exaggerated. Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the best and it would be nice to see them succeed, but they could have been more realistic and professional and just indicate the first few routes they set their eyes on instead of drawing lines to dozens of places all over the world.

Airlines that had ordered the A380 and subsequently had to deal with the delays in delivery of these aircraft have been adding other Airbus products to their fleets, mainly the A330, to compensate for capacity issues. That's why A330s for lease are hard to come by, and also expensive because of the demand.