Have Any Of You Guys Noticed The Customs Staff At Cnx Airport

john b good

On my last several arrivals at the Chiangmai airport (this year) after having passed through immigration in the Big Mango these dummies (at CNX airport) pick up your bag / suitcase and say "oh, very heavy" and then proceed to ask that you open said luggage to inspect for any breaches of the Realm's customs regulations.

Anywhere else in the world you are either chosen at random or by the way that you look (your demeanour, heavy perspiration, the country of last embarkation, your general appearance etc) but not so here in Chiangmai where it's the weight of your luggage that is the key.

When I last arrived I was shown to a "search table" where this monkey picked up my bag and said "oh, very heavy" I responded with, " it is less than 20 kg and I am entitled to 40 kg so what is the problem" He had no answer and waved me through.

Quite frankly I do not expect a he11 of a lot more inteligence from these people but it does tend to pizz one off especially after a long day.

I have noticed that the customs inspectors at CNX are much more aggressive than those in Bangkok. My take was that they were keying on the size of the bags being carried rather than the weight. I've been pulled aside and asked to put my bags thru x-ray the past few times I have cleared customs in Chiang Mai (without the inspector having first touched the bag).

Edited by ovenman

On my last several arrivals at the Chiangmai airport (this year) after having passed through immigration in the Big Mango these dummies (at CNX airport) pick up your bag / suitcase and say "oh, very heavy" and then proceed to ask that you open said luggage to inspect for any breaches of the Realm's customs regulations.

Anywhere else in the world you are either chosen at random or by the way that you look (your demeanour, heavy perspiration, the country of last embarkation, your general appearance etc) but not so here in Chiangmai where it's the weight of your luggage that is the key.

When I last arrived I was shown to a "search table" where this monkey picked up my bag and said "oh, very heavy" I responded with, " it is less than 20 kg and I am entitled to 40 kg so what is the problem" He had no answer and waved me through.

Quite frankly I do not expect a he11 of a lot more inteligence from these people but it does tend to pizz one off especially after a long day.

The fact that you were shown to a "search table" before the customs officer (or "monkey" as you call him) picked up your bag shows that you were selected for investigation based on some factor other than the weight of your bag, which rather defeats your point.

I have been stopped at CNX customs and the customs official was very polite and courteous towards me. Perhaps he was treating me in the same way I was treating him.

I've never been stopped at Customs anywhere in the world except when I rode a motorcycle into Texas and met the profile for a drug dealer. I've had heavy bags both in BKK and CNX; never been stopped.

But come on now, you do not need to call Thai officials cretins or dummies. Title changed.

I've had heavy bags both in BKK and CNX; never been stopped.

I never have been stopped in Bangkok and until recently, never in Chiang Mai either. My observation is that the increased scrutiny seems to have begun when the new international arrivals area was opened at CNX.

I use customs and immigration at CNX by choice when I come in from Australia. In my last two trips from Oz I brought in 4 and then 3 guitars plus my suitcase. They are obviously more than the maximum prescribed amount so I fronted up to the declaration table without being asked. I explained to the officials that I was a long term resident and these were my personal property. I had the sales documents in my possession but they weren't required. The official asked me to open one case and show him the guitar. I did this and we had a short but polite chat about Australia and Thailand, how long I lived here, what I did etc. He let me through without having to pay any fees and was curteous throughout the entire operation.

They also pick up on people who look just too relaxed and cool about it - frequent fliers. There are also random checks simply for the simple chance. I very rarely get picked up and used to fly all over the world on a regular basis. I NEVER carry anything illegal and if I am in the least bit unsure I will either leave it behind or front up to the customs and tell them. I have never had anything confiscated.

Quite frankly I think this is rubbish you have made up. CNX is not as busy as BKK but it gets a lot of travellers and I have never seen or heard this from anyone else.

Quite frankly with your attitude as illustrated by calling these people "monkeys" and cretins" I think you got of very lightly. Maybe next time you should consider going through customs in BKK but be aware even if you have been passed there the officials in CNX can still tell you to open your bags and do another inspection. I am sure your attitude will go down very well there. Your other option is to get over yourself and grow up. These officials do a very important job and have to put up with people like you on a regular basis. If you are polite and behave in a professional manner then almost invariably so will they.

CB

I think what a lot of folks, who are perhaps resident in BKK or Pattaya, forget is:

Chiang Mai is the 2nd largest city/metro area in Thailand. This is not the boonies. International flights land here from many different countries. There is still a major problem with illicit trafficking in many different items- gems, rare wild life, antique statuary, drugs, etc.

This is the Golden Triangle, fer chissakes! So the guy asked for a suitcase opening. So what? Maybe you went 48 flights without this minor inconvenience. Small price to pay, once in awhile.... :o

Is there some phrase in the (non-existent) Thai Constitution which relieves foreigners from being subject to Customs searches? Does the Customs Operations Manual give foreigners an exemption if he thinks his inspector is a cretin, an idiot, a dumbass, ugly, or past his use-by date?

I went through Chiang Mai customs last night and nearly everyone was stopped and searched. As people above mentioned, it did appear that they checked the "heavier" bags more thoroughly. While it is their right to search, my impression was that they were a lot more thorough than they've been in the past.

A buddy had forewarned me that several of the agents seem intent on charging high amounts regardless of what you have in your suitcases. He provided me with the following attachment which explains the customs laws quite easily. I now take it with me when I enter the country.

Thai_customs_rules.pdf

Edited by earlofwindermere

I think I would agree that, over the past couple of years, CNX Customs is less-relaxed than formerly.

They may well have been given targets for raising revenue ?

Polite behaviour and attitude certainly still help, here as anywhere else, but I do get stopped more-often, and when they want to charge me 400B for 50kgs of food, it is still a relative-bargain !

Perhaps they, like I, yearn for the days of yesteryear when there was a better class of passenger! :o

When you land at Jeddah, at the start of Ramadam and it takes 9 hours from entering the terminal, passing through passport control and customs to leaving the terminal then whinge about it - if you must - (I never, just accepted it)

When you go through customs at Jeddah with a bicycle and customs officers cut your new tyres and tubes off the rims just in case there is booze inside - whinge if you must (I was just thankful that I had plenty of spares)

When you.... there are thousands of incidents, yours is nothing

Edited by mr_hippo

If on arriving at Heathrow, you were to be stopped by a customs official who suggested that your bag seemed heavy, dont give him/her a mouthfull of bad attitude as you will likely be stripped naked , delayed for a very long time, humiliated, and have fingers inserted where the sun dont shine!!!!!! Unless thats a nice thought, just smile and be polite!

On my last several arrivals at the Chiangmai airport (this year) after having passed through immigration in the Big Mango these dummies (at CNX airport) pick up your bag / suitcase and say "oh, very heavy"

I fly in through there from overseas about 6-8 times a year...I don't even wait just through the bag on the X-Ray machine, let it go through grab it and walk away. I don't even look at them just grab and walk, not once have they called me back as only a complete :o IDIOT :D would bring contraband in.

They pick it up for the weight looking for excess alcohol, you're alowed one bottle only, this and excess cigarettes is a cash cow and they get to keep the excess.

About a year ago, I came back from New York with very heavy bags (even more than the Gold Card allotment of 40 kg). A good deal of it was kosher food and other products difficult to obtain here. The customs official stopped me, and I explained my situation. He showed me an English translation of the regs stating that only a "reasonable" amount of food could be brought in duty-free. I told him the background and what the cost of the food was (about 400 dollars). When he told me the duty would be 2,000 baht, I told him "if Thailand needs the money, no problem". We talked more, and he cut it down to about 800 baht, which, considering the amount of food was eminently reasonable. I found him to be courteous and understanding, and frankly, I was shaken by the use of the expression "monkey" one of the previous posts.

If I have anything remotely dodgy with me then I go through customs in Bangkok.

Even when I am not bringing in anything dodgy, I still prefer to go through customs in Bangkok. You never know when the guy in Chiang Mai has been told he is below quota in customs duty and the odds are thus greater that you will be inspected in Chiang Mai just as matter of math: fewer absolute numbers to inspect. For what it is worth, since 1981 I have only had luggage inspected coming from from overseas when I had it checked through to CNX, never in BKK.

Recently, returning from New York, an older offical at CNX observed that my carry-on seemed to be bulging a bit and he politely inquired about it. I explained that I am a LTR and it contained a computer and personal items. He waved me through with a smile.

If he wanted to inspect the bag, that would have been okay, too.

What's the problem?

Even when I am not bringing in anything dodgy, I still prefer to go through customs in Bangkok. You never know when the guy in Chiang Mai has been told he is below quota in customs duty and the odds are thus greater that you will be inspected in Chiang Mai just as matter of math: fewer absolute numbers to inspect. For what it is worth, since 1981 I have only had luggage inspected coming from from overseas when I had it checked through to CNX, never in BKK.

In 17 years of coming and going several times a year, I've only had my bags opened twice. Once about 10 years ago in Bangkok and a cursory exam before being passed through, and the second just three months ago coming back from kl with a large bag into CNX and was completely taken apart. Every article removed from my suitcase and examined. Then every article carefully replaced into my suitcase, a smile and a 'thank you' from the official, and waved me through. He examined underwear. He examined a screwdriver. He examined my toothbrush ?!? And he examined the lining of the suitcase itself. Everything. Still, it only took about 4-5 minutes, and really didn't bother me. Frankly, I'd prefer to have them check and reduce the illegal substances brought into the Kingdom. Of course, on this same flight, I forgot and left a pocket knife in my pants, and somehow made it all the way though all the metal detectors, pat downs, more metal detectors and pat downs in the Kuala Lumpur airport, and only realize that it was there when I was getting undressed after arriving home and wanting a shower.... On the downside, KL did charge me an overweight fee. It must have been the pocket knife.

In 17 years of coming and going several times a year, I've only had my bags opened twice. Once about 10 years ago in Bangkok and a cursory exam before being passed through, and the second just three months ago coming back from kl with a large bag into CNX and was completely taken apart. Every article removed from my suitcase and examined. Then every article carefully replaced into my suitcase, a smile and a 'thank you' from the official, and waved me through. He examined underwear. He examined a screwdriver. He examined my toothbrush ?!? And he examined the lining of the suitcase itself. Everything. Still, it only took about 4-5 minutes, and really didn't bother me. Frankly, I'd prefer to have them check and reduce the illegal substances brought into the Kingdom. Of course, on this same flight, I forgot and left a pocket knife in my pants, and somehow made it all the way though all the metal detectors, pat downs, more metal detectors and pat downs in the Kuala Lumpur airport, and only realize that it was there when I was getting undressed after arriving home and wanting a shower.... On the downside, KL did charge me an overweight fee. It must have been the pocket knife.

i had to pay 1000bht on i btl of spirits over limit at cnx not really complaining 1st time stopped in 30 years travel all over the world

About a year ago, I came back from New York with very heavy bags (even more than the Gold Card allotment of 40 kg). A good deal of it was kosher food and other products difficult to obtain here. The customs official stopped me, and I explained my situation. He showed me an English translation of the regs stating that only a "reasonable" amount of food could be brought in duty-free. I told him the background and what the cost of the food was (about 400 dollars). When he told me the duty would be 2,000 baht, I told him "if Thailand needs the money, no problem". We talked more, and he cut it down to about 800 baht, which, considering the amount of food was eminently reasonable. I found him to be courteous and understanding, and frankly, I was shaken by the use of the expression "monkey" one of the previous posts.

I arrived a couple of weeks ago with two heavy bags a carry on stuffed to capacity and weight. I rolled on up and was asked what was in the bags, and I replied mostly Chocolates, a few cookies, lots of scifi books. I was asked where I was going, to my familys home to stay with MIL and stepson, who were calling to me through the door. He smiled and waved me through. Very pleasant experience in comparision to some of my returns to the US. I believe the kids in village will develop cavitities in short order.

its probably fair to say that you are more likely to be stopped and checked in CNX than BKK. I usually bring back some cheese, vegemite and some cosmetic creme in various amounts for gifts etc, and rather go thru BKK than CNX to be safe. I would like to bring back a sandwich toaster press next time as I havent yet seen any for sale in CNX, what are my chances running the gauntlet in BKK? :o

a friend of a friend came thru CNX with 8 bottles of rum/bourbon and sneaked thru after waiting for the customs agents to be preoccupied with other passengers. He remained calm and wheeled his booty thru and acted if he was guilt free. :D

I would like to bring back a sandwich toaster press next time as I havent yet seen any for sale in CNX

They had tons for sale in the Central housewares department a few years ago, but I haven't looked lately.

yeah, I had a look a few weeks back @ central but didnt see any, but the top floor of robinsons @ airport is all housewares and home goods which has most things.

Perhaps they, like I, yearn for the days of yesteryear when there was a better class of passenger! :o

When you land at Jeddah, at the start of Ramadam and it takes 9 hours from entering the terminal, passing through passport control and customs to leaving the terminal then whinge about it - if you must - (I never, just accepted it)

When you go through customs at Jeddah with a bicycle and customs officers cut your new tyres and tubes off the rims just in case there is booze inside - whinge if you must (I was just thankful that I had plenty of spares)

When you.... there are thousands of incidents, yours is nothing

Add to that list bowling balls and wooden Elephants sawn in half to check for contraband. Fishing rods thought to be guns, hairdressers wigs having the face cut out and traditional Thai dolls disfigured as they’re considered idols ……….

I think the OP needs to travel a bit more. There are plenty of airports now where ALL bags are inspected regardless of the weight.