Thai's Taxed On Gifts

No Thais are not taxed on gifts. So if you want to give someone a large sum of money you should do so on their b-day or chinese new year or on their wedding day... If it is not given at a specific holiday then it is considered as income and taxed accordingly.

Also you can give money that has already been taxed once to family members ie wife/minor wife, son/daughter, father/mother but not cousins, aunts, uncles.... Yes it is actually in the code that minor wives are not taxed on money given to them from their "husbands" but the money will need to be declared in the mans income.

In my bus law class here in Thailand we discussed a case where the first wife tried to get her husband's minor wife arrested for tax evasion on the money he gave her but to no avail.

But obviously if we are talking about a large ammount of money I would advise you to consult an accountant or lawyer before you give the gift. I will try to find my law notes from class later this week to see if I can find the exact law for you.

Edited by CWMcMurray