Dying Here. Making A Will

Vagin

An elderly friend of mine recently died. He was single and the owner of a house, which was in his business name. He had a car and quite alot of money in his bank. He was not married, so nothing was in a Thai person's name, but he lost almost the lot to an appointed Thai lawyer. He didn't have a Will here because he hadn't found a lawyer he felt he could trust and he knew that many of the lawyers in Pattaya and some in Bangkok were not actually qualified lawyers at all. He knew many bad stories of friends who had fallen for scams and lost everything to those lawyers. His other mistake was that he left much of his Thai estate to people back home in the UK. It ended up with his beneficaries in the UK getting only a small portion of what he had intended them to get. His brother who was the Executor of his Will came over, but he had never been to Thailand before and it was such a headache for him that he was almost glad that the appointed Thai lawyer took everything. All his brother wanted to do was get back home. He didn't really know anybody so was completey lost, and didn't have a clue about the place. The point is, whether we like it or not, many of the long term expats among us are going to die here. So, money or possesions you want people to have back home send home now before you die, so its already there to be sorted out by the exectutor or family. Don't leave it here for them to have to try and collect. It's a terribly frustrating and often painfuly laborious process that often ends in tears. Don't be cruel and let people back home have to come over and try and sort it out. Like my friends brother they may have never been to Thailand before and end up walking into a frustrating nightmare, and then only to find that they can't get hold of anything, and you and them lose everything. They don't have the time or energy to sort it out, and the bad Thai lawyers know this. So, the advise is this: Send home now that what you want people to have back home, and just resign yourself to the fact you may lose everything left here unless it's either in a Thai's name, who will benefit, or put it in a good friends name of someone who already lives here and knows Thailand and can fight on their and your behalf and will also benefit. Vagin.

Hmmm, doesn't help much if you're hit by a bus on Pattaya's death road. Unless you live on the bread line perminantly, then you'll have something to leave most likely.

I wonder what SunBelt would suggest - legal wise? I'll PM him and let him know of this thread me thinks.