Staff In Departement-stores

gobs

Hi all,

Just a little answer about the daily life of a curious ordinary customer...

So, from time to time, going shopping in some departement-stores (Big C, Carrefour, Global House and so on...), I noticed the staff is always very important. Very much more than in farang countries...

I tried to find a explanation by myself, but... nothing came ;-)

Someone here knows why so many employees here in Thailand?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a little answer about the daily life of a curious ordinary customer...

So, from time to time, going shopping in some departement-stores (Big C, Carrefour, Global House and so on...), I noticed the staff is always very important. Very much more than in farang countries...

I tried to find a explanation by myself, but... nothing came ;-)

Someone here knows why so many employees here in Thailand?

Thanks

When we first arrived here from Japan, we were surprised at how low the number of staff were. We were used to seeing one clerk for about every meter of counter or isle space. Then we noticed that there actually were a lot of staff in the stores, but they were always in groups chatting with each other, and only came over if you called to them. (Except in the automotive section, where they won't leave you alone!)

As to why so many here, my guess is that all that is needed is for the store to sell one TV or microwave and the profit will pay the salary for ALL the staff for the day, so why not? :o

Indeed, I absolutely HATE shopping in the West, unless you're at the Louis Vuitton store or whatever, there's simply NO available staff; the few that are there are running around restocking things.

One more reason why Thailand is so much better than everywhere else.

Had a laugh in one shop. :o A girl assistant was doing the following as I slowly walked looking at goods in a glass display. As I became conscious of her I started making jumpy stop starts which she mirrored. When she relised what I was doing we had a good laugh. Next time I went there, she did the same to me. Nice to see a good sense of humour. You need one living in India. :D

The other thing that amazes me is everytime you inquire about an Item Particulary electrical the staff at store will always steer you towards the promotion of the day.

When you state that your not interested in the cheap peansonic goods they look miffed and refuse to help any further with the original choice...

The other classic is to have store staff explain functionality of something normally in a group when you say ok ill have one...sorry no have in stock,this happened three times in a row (over 1hr with TV purchase) :o

Thanks to all.

I just want to add I don't worry about the amount of staff in departement-stores, OK? For me, no problem.

And sure, sometimes in the West it's difficult to find somebody in the whole store to give you even an information... I know...

For other part, why the owner should pay an "over staff" (even at low level labour charges...)? Better I suppose to have this money in his pocket ;-)

In fact, I was thinking if there was a "sociological" explaination.

For example, Carrefour, a french brand (same for Big C, american, or Tesco Lotus, british, in their own countries...), has not this amount of employees in its departement-stores in France.

So, why Carrefour does not do the same here in Thailand than it does in Europe?

After all selling a TV or some make-up is the same thing here and there. Yes, no!?

But maybe I make a mistake and don't understand something about this...

Thanks for some replies...

This was a puzzle for me too. In some large shops, the staff you see are not employed by the Retailer - instead, they are employed by Manufacturers. You want to stock my brand of TV set, you supply the staff. That way, wage costs are kept down.

Peter