New Big Shopping Mall For Koh Samui

Elran to build mall in Ko Samui Thailand

source: Jerusalem Post Aug. 16, 2007

The Elran Real Estate Group said Wednesday it signed an agreement to lease a 25.6-dunam plot on the island of Ko Samui off the coast of Thailand for $5 million. Elran plans to invest $50m. to construct a 73,500-square meter mall on the island, believed to be the first shopping mall constructed by an Israeli company in Thailand.

Elran expects to begin construction within the next few months and hopes to have the mall built and fully occupied within the next 10 years.

Elran will lease the land for a period of 60 years, with an option to extend the lease for an additional 30 years.

That "25.6 dunam plot" phrase threw me but good old wiki has the answer: 1000m2

dunum, donum is a unit of area used in the Ottoman Empire and still used, in various standardized versions, in many countries formerly part of the Ottoman Empire. It was defined as "forty standard paces in length and breadth",[1] but varied considerably from place to place.

The name dönüm, from the Ottoman Turkish ضنمق / dönmek (to turn) appears to be a calque of the Byzantine stremma and had the same size. It was likely adopted by the Ottomans from the Byzantines in Mysia-Bithynia.[2]

Versions include:

* In Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, the Palestinian Authority, and Turkey it is 1,000 m². Before the end of the Ottoman Empire and during the early years of the British Mandate of Palestine, the size of a dönüm was 919.3 square meters, but in 1928 the metric dunam of 1,000 square meters was adopted, and this is still used.[3]

* Northern Cyprus, the donum is 14,400 square feet (1,337.8 m²).

* In Iraq it is 2,500 m².

* Other countries using a dunam of some size include Libya, Syria and the countries of the former Yugoslavia.

* The Greek stremma has approximately the same size, and the word has the same meaning ('turning').

The dunam is not an SI unit. The SI unit of area is the square metre (m²).

Wikipedia

Elran to build mall in Ko Samui Thailand

source: Jerusalem Post Aug. 16, 2007

The Elran Real Estate Group said Wednesday it signed an agreement to lease a 25.6-dunam plot on the island of Ko Samui off the coast of Thailand for $5 million. Elran plans to invest $50m. to construct a 73,500-square meter mall on the island, believed to be the first shopping mall constructed by an Israeli company in Thailand.

Elran expects to begin construction within the next few months and hopes to have the mall built and fully occupied within the next 10 years.

Elran will lease the land for a period of 60 years, with an option to extend the lease for an additional 30 years.

Why does it take 10 years to have it fully occupied (okay, take 2-3 years for construction, still 7 years) ?

Can anybody give a sufficient answer WHY Samui is in urgent need of such a shopping mall?

Pick your own preferred answer:

1) Because in the minds of Thai's this is an important step towards becoming a second world country.

2) Because Thai's have an unnatural desire to destroy the very things that made their country desirable in the first place.

3) Greed.

4) Because they can.

5) It p*sses off sensible westerners and makes the country money, all at the same time.

60 year lease, with extension of another 30 years.

eer.....

Ok!

er make you right 30years is the only legal lease for westerners the other 30 plus 30 is only done on a hand shake,if they sell to another company the original lease of 30 years is the only lease ,the rest is not renewable ,if the case that they have 60years then everyone else should get the same lease , :o

Am I the only one that caught that this is an Israeli company building a shopping mall??

Yes, the Thai govt gave permission to build but then I am from the US where there is a darn Walmart on every corner so find the presumption that Thais are the only ones that do this a bit OTT

Who are they building it for? Lotus is packed all the time, soon Big C will ease off them being so busy. I've never seen any of the up scale shops and boutiques in Chawang packed and sometimes it's quite sad to see all the sales staff so bored.

It reminds me so much of Florida in the 80's when developers were making a bundle building malls that sat vacant after they were built.

How about the joke of a mall they built in Thongsala on KP. Ting Tong Maak Maak :o

eer.....

Ok!

er make you right 30years is the only legal lease for westerners the other 30 plus 30 is only done on a hand shake,if they sell to another company the original lease of 30 years is the only lease ,the rest is not renewable ,if the case that they have 60years then everyone else should get the same lease , :D

I think Commercial leases can be done in blocks of 50 years , maths still doesn't add up tho :o

Hey Mr Allen, What's wrong with the Movie theater we already have at Tesco ?

Regarding leases - Yes commercial building

The lease of immovable property for Commercial and Industrial purpose has increased from 30 to 50 years. In practice this will have limited application due to restrictions and conditions...

Demand and Supply

Samui is heading in a direction that cant be avoided no matter what we all wish for. (Maybe we still Dream of a unspoilt, charming secret Island - with some home comforts) I am sure the real locals felt the same way 20 years ago but the world keeps Spinning.

Samui will continue to develop not matter what anyone says (development) Yes to the point the Island looses its original beauty,charm that made it stand out or offer a alternative to places such as Phuket, but Markets/visitors change...just look at Phuket 6 years ago it wasn't sure what direction to go but but its a world calls destination now and visitor figures are rising.Thailand is in the race to develop and I cant blame them...Why cant places such as Phuket, Samui etc have some of the modern convineinces the mainland has to offer?

Its over development (again looking at other destinations in Thailand, I don't think this will be avoided)

Its amazing how many people buy these luxury Villas,or Rent or stay in boutique resorts so they can be away form the crowds Island fee but they all get the hotel car in to Chaweng to shop, party, eat when here and spend money and ultimately have a holiday.

It makes sense that the Island needs to compete with other famous international destination and attract families so therefore Samui needs all the things other locations also offer (Samui is not and will never be what it was 10 years ago) Is that Good or Bad? Somebody mentioned Greed, Is it greed?

If there is a new high tech branded Dept Store Will you shop there, eat there? the same thing were said when Lotus was being built, do you shop there? because the place is packed (literally) and there is a obvious demand for more amenities on the Island.

Malls/Dept stores are a Social part of modern life. Maybe tourist are tired of getting ripped of from various sellers on Chaweng and this is a good thing for the long term.

(Look at Bangkok Airways investment and expansion as proof - more flights more rooms) And a shopping Mall/Dept Store makes sense as the Island is planning, Marina, more Golf course's, International School, Thai University, water park, Brand resorts...

With over 800,000+/Visitors year and a increasing local community it justifies a small Dept store being built i.e smaller scale of Central Phuket and the fact is the islands visitors will most likely double in the next 5+ years makes good business sense and a improved lifestyle for those of us who live here and don't want to live in the past or cut of from the world.

The same question was asked when Phuket decided to build Phuket Central shopping Mall.Tourists shop, expats and not forgetting the local Thais who have good incomes in resort destinations/jobs (Hotels, service Industry, business owners) all of whom want to have a modern lifestyle.

because the place is packed (literally) and there is a obvious demand for more amenities on the Island.

quite right ,

if you were to offer free air-con in a more luxurious setting ............................

people are blind , the ring road is fast on the way to becoming a shop house canyon .

This kind of idea makes me laugh !

A luxurious shopping mall, on the end of a dirt track I suppose ?

Or will the constructors import a concrete-road from Gaza (with the missile-holes) ?

The infrastructure of Samui is all but luxurious, one would have at least to create a hundred helicopter-pads for the billionaires to avoid the existing roads.

Regarding leases - Yes commercial building

The lease of immovable property for Commercial and Industrial purpose has increased from 30 to 50 years. In practice this will have limited application due to restrictions and conditions...

Demand and Supply

Samui is heading in a direction that cant be avoided no matter what we all wish for. (Maybe we still Dream of a unspoilt, charming secret Island - with some home comforts) I am sure the real locals felt the same way 20 years ago but the world keeps Spinning.

Samui will continue to develop not matter what anyone says (development) Yes to the point the Island looses its original beauty,charm that made it stand out or offer a alternative to places such as Phuket, but Markets/visitors change...just look at Phuket 6 years ago it wasn't sure what direction to go but but its a world calls destination now and visitor figures are rising.Thailand is in the race to develop and I cant blame them...Why cant places such as Phuket, Samui etc have some of the modern convineinces the mainland has to offer?

Its over development (again looking at other destinations in Thailand, I don't think this will be avoided)

Its amazing how many people buy these luxury Villas,or Rent or stay in boutique resorts so they can be away form the crowds Island fee but they all get the hotel car in to Chaweng to shop, party, eat when here and spend money and ultimately have a holiday.

It makes sense that the Island needs to compete with other famous international destination and attract families so therefore Samui needs all the things other locations also offer (Samui is not and will never be what it was 10 years ago) Is that Good or Bad? Somebody mentioned Greed, Is it greed?

If there is a new high tech branded Dept Store Will you shop there, eat there? the same thing were said when Lotus was being built, do you shop there? because the place is packed (literally) and there is a obvious demand for more amenities on the Island.

Malls/Dept stores are a Social part of modern life. Maybe tourist are tired of getting ripped of from various sellers on Chaweng and this is a good thing for the long term.

(Look at Bangkok Airways investment and expansion as proof - more flights more rooms) And a shopping Mall/Dept Store makes sense as the Island is planning, Marina, more Golf course's, International School, Thai University, water park, Brand resorts...

With over 800,000+/Visitors year and a increasing local community it justifies a small Dept store being built i.e smaller scale of Central Phuket and the fact is the islands visitors will most likely double in the next 5+ years makes good business sense and a improved lifestyle for those of us who live here and don't want to live in the past or cut of from the world.

The same question was asked when Phuket decided to build Phuket Central shopping Mall.Tourists shop, expats and not forgetting the local Thais who have good incomes in resort destinations/jobs (Hotels, service Industry, business owners) all of whom want to have a modern lifestyle.

Total agree with your analisis.

the location is going to be on the main ring road just befor big C.

this is the land that Sabai Thani put up for sale a long time ago.

I hope they finish it quicly and do a good job so all can enjoy shopping in a modern mall. and the competition will at the end drive prices down for th benefit of all shoppers.

Phuket is almost 4 times as big as Samui. Phuket is sizewise like Singapore, Samui has half the size of Delhi - so I could argue that 10 mios of people could fit on Samui..... and for them there must be loads of shopping malls....

Comparisons do not work here. With Tesco competitive prices came, sometimes the old shops in Nathon are even cheaper, especially in electric appliances and computer as well as groceries. The Home Marts got face lifts to compete with Home Pro.

I am much more at ease now than 5 years ago when I had to make an island tour for relatively nice lamp shades. But I am really worried about all town centers and houses along the roads where the shops are to 50 % or even more vacant. There is one shophouse next to Winner furniture on the way to Nathon which is ready since at least 2003 - nobody opened a shop. But: What do we need what we do not have yet? Perhaps a Sun Studio or a shop for interieur fireplaces? But certainly we do not need empty shop houses with "For Sale / For Rent" signs as it is as if the whole island is for sale.

And personally I do not need big shopping malls, avoid Family Marts and 7/11 but use mainly the old sources - but this is my own decision.

eer.....

Ok!

er make you right 30years is the only legal lease for westerners the other 30 plus 30 is only done on a hand shake,if they sell to another company the original lease of 30 years is the only lease ,the rest is not renewable ,if the case that they have 60years then everyone else should get the same lease , :D

I think Commercial leases can be done in blocks of 50 years , maths still doesn't add up tho :o

Hey Mr Allen, What's wrong with the Movie theater we already have at Tesco ?

There is nothing wrong with the theater at Tesco per say but that it only has 3 screens which means we miss out on a lot of movies. There were many many movies over this summer I was hoping would come (Shrek 3, Oceans 13, Bourne, etc.) but they never did. If there is another theater then more movies will be available. Simple as that.

So does anyone know if the new Big C will have a theater?

Phuket is almost 4 times as big as Samui. Phuket is sizewise like Singapore, Samui has half the size of Delhi - so I could argue that 10 mios of people could fit on Samui..... and for them there must be loads of shopping malls....

Comparisons do not work here. With Tesco competitive prices came, sometimes the old shops in Nathon are even cheaper, especially in electric appliances and computer as well as groceries. The Home Marts got face lifts to compete with Home Pro.

I am much more at ease now than 5 years ago when I had to make an island tour for relatively nice lamp shades. But I am really worried about all town centers and houses along the roads where the shops are to 50 % or even more vacant. There is one shophouse next to Winner furniture on the way to Nathon which is ready since at least 2003 - nobody opened a shop. But: What do we need what we do not have yet? Perhaps a Sun Studio or a shop for interieur fireplaces? But certainly we do not need empty shop houses with "For Sale / For Rent" signs as it is as if the whole island is for sale.

And personally I do not need big shopping malls, avoid Family Marts and 7/11 but use mainly the old sources - but this is my own decision.

How will you feel when your life is disrupted by construction next to you, your water supply is interrupted, roads create dirt and noise and other minor things like this?

Will you be so sanguine?