Who Can Repair A Shuttle?

dominique355

When I moved to Thailand, I brought with me my Shuttle PC and it worked fine until a week ago.

After I turned on power, it stated to boot from CD and - obviously - reported that no system on CD. But why would it boot form CD in the first place?

I started the Initial set-up and the setting was to start 1st from HD, 2nd from CD. Just for a test, I changed the 2nd start-up also from HD and restarted, but no change.

I booted from a rescue CD (Knopix) and analyzed the main HD, found no problem.

So now I am at the end of my wisdom.

Where should I go with this problem? Any suggestions? I am in Bangkok.

what is the norm OS of the PC? it should be set to boot cd then HD that way you can use e disk if OS is not working. Sounds like PC is OK if linux ran and drive looks OK. Give more stats on your system how is it set up?

This may not be Shuttle specific or anything...

If you suspect the BIOS settings are somehow corrupted, try going into its setup screen and using the 'default settings' option to reset everything and reboot. One thing to check: does it seem to remember the time when you reboot? If not, perhaps the CMOS battery is dead and this could lead to odd behaviors. It is relatively simply to open up the machine and find the CMOS battery on the motherboard to buy a replacement. They usually look like a little lithium "watch" battery, i.e. a thin flat metal disc in a plastic holder.

To further diagnose the drive, does the system have a "boot menu" where you can ask it to boot a specific drive? Sometimes you have to press a key like F12 to reach the boot menu... it should say something when you first power on such as "press <some key> for Boot Menu". If so, try this and make sure that the hard drive is listed as a bootable device, and then try booting it. What sort of error does it give?

Possible problems might include: 1) the boot sector has been corrupted on the hard drive somehow 2) the partition table has been modified and no partition is marked "bootable"

3) there is something preventing the BIOS from seeing the drive at boot time.