A380 Coming To Chiang Mai 1 September

JuniorExPat

Just came back..... big news is: a series of delays. Imagine that. Anyway, the bridge over Hang Dong Rd. was packed with a bunch of us fools till we got word of the delays. My friend from Thai Airways now tells me there's engine trouble of some sort and that mechanics expect it to be ready to take off from Suvannabhumi at 1pm, for arrival about 2pm. Will I make it back to the bridge? Hmmmmmm? Atjaa.

Just came back..... big news is: a series of delays. Imagine that. Anyway, the bridge over Hang Dong Rd. was packed with a bunch of us fools till we got word of the delays. My friend from Thai Airways now tells me there's engine trouble of some sort and that mechanics expect it to be ready to take off from Suvannabhumi at 1pm, for arrival about 2pm. Will I make it back to the bridge? Hmmmmmm? Atjaa.

Soooo....it's now 4:00PM. Anyone know if it has made to Chiang Mai or not?

The Pictures

post-48930-1188639412_thumb.jpg

Lots of folks showed up to have a look.

post-48930-1188639390_thumb.jpg

And there it is! Doi Suthep mountain in the background

post-48930-1188639385_thumb.jpg

For comparison, a regular Air Asia 737.

post-48930-1188639397_thumb.jpg

Touching down

post-48930-1188639405_thumb.jpg

Landed

post-48930-1188639420_thumb.jpg

Didn't get a gate, they parked it a little bit beyond the International Terminal. Imagine 800 people coming out this way. :o

post-48930-1188639425_thumb.jpg

Shot from the front

post-48930-1188639430_thumb.jpg

Shot with Wat Prathat Doi Suthep Temple

Edited by Sanpatong

I also noticed that really a surprising number of foreign residents came out to take a look.. Maybe it's because most of them will likely actually get to fly in the thing in the coming years, who knows.

For me, I learned that plane spotting is not a hobby I'm likely to be taking up. But I guess it can be added and then immediately crossed off the list of 'things to do before I die'. As there's already a gazillion high resolution pics of this plane online on sites like airliners.net, I tried to get shots from a position that would show it's Chiang Mai, i.e. with the mountain in the background.

I have higher res pics if anyone is interested; they could have worked out better, but then the light at the time of day it arrived is really harsh, and then there's the fence to shoot over / shoot through..

I cruised over to the airport about 4:45PM and I only saw a few people still there to see the aircraft. I tried getting some photos through the fence at the south end of the terminal.

A couple Thai girls standing over by the freight building called me and motioned to come over there. With typical security in place (none), I entered the freight building and was able to find a spot at the back of the building on the second floor overlooking the A380. A couple farang and maybe a dozen Thai there also. I had a good view but it was through glass so my photos are not that great. Sanpatong pretty much has the photos covered.

Stood and watched the excruciatingly slow taxi ( I guess no more mistakes wanted) from a stairway where one could easily hop on the roof or over the fence. After take-off, casually walked back out of the building as if I owned it. No problems.

I just realized that the winglets were removed by Airbus after the minor mishap at BKK! So I may actually have a fairly original shot of a nekkid A380 sans winglets. :o

Saw the photo of repairs underway in BKK on the winglets, but you are absolutely correct, no winglets here!

post-3361-1188663679_thumb.jpg post-3361-1188663039_thumb.jpg

edit:typo

Edited by silverhawk_usa

380s arrival was great. Lots of us up on the bridge for the perfect spot to watch.

Impressive size, looked like it was going sooooo slow on approach.

Drove by a few hours later and was just in time for the taxi and take off.

Thanks to ThaiVisa forum for the heads up. Great way to spend the afternoon. :o

380s arrival was great. Lots of us up on the bridge for the perfect spot to watch.

Impressive size, looked like it was going sooooo slow on approach.

Drove by a few hours later and was just in time for the taxi and take off.

Thanks to ThaiVisa forum for the heads up. Great way to spend the afternoon. :o

Well done Sanpatong for those great pics, remarkable in that you were with all the Joe Soaps and not in the privileged press gallery! And as winglet-less photos, they could become collectors' items!!

Sombat Somboon, my friendly Bangkok taxi driver from Roi Et, tells me that the fathers of the Thai pilot and the ground handler that managed to run it into the building down there are soon to be named as bosses of the realms first nuclear power station.

Malaysia is looking good, but it's just down wind and maybe not far enough away........?

I just realized that the winglets were removed by Airbus after the minor mishap at BKK! So I may actually have a fairly original shot of a nekkid A380 sans winglets. :o

Airbus decided to remove both winglets, designed to stabilise the aircraft in heavy turbulence, before resuming the flight to Chiang Mai Saturday afternoon.

"We can fly with one winglet or no winglets," said Ullmo. "This is standard procedure."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=121282

5.40 pm and it has just passed over my house after taking off to the north. No louder that a domestic aircraft, and looked very impressive as it banked.

Seen in the distance from Mae-Jo, as it banked & then climbed-out southwards, it was immediately bigger than any of the planes we can usually see at this distance.

It also climbed and reached the cloud-base relatively quickly, presumably because of the low fuel-load & no baggage/cargo on-board, simply beautiful ! :o