High Speed Driving (at Night)

draggons

My best road trip was 5400 km. in 3 days (in a 15 year-old Saab!), Boston to San Fran. , best one day was Santa Fe to Harrisburg PA, 3000 km. in 23 hrs. , had to stop, got sleepy (I was a youngun, 23, then). Yeah, I had a radar detector.

Is this off-topic? :o

O.K., just to address the topic, roughly. Another crazy thing is the amount of people here that will ride a motorbike without their lights on at night. I keep my lights on at ALL times, but I've come close when driving a car on winding roads, even in hilly areas to people riding in almost pitch black with no lights on. Don't give me the "they can't always afford the repairs" crap, it's too prevalent for that, not that expensive a repair, and way too dangerous.

Edited by calibanjr.

Around the same number of people reportedly died on the roads in Thailand during Songkran last year than died on the roads in Queensland in the whole of 2006 (337 Deaths in QLD for 2006).

More than 40,000 people die on US roads every year, I wonder why the death rate is so high in USA, the roads must be well maintained and well policed, yet 40,000+ fatalities per year seems very high.

Then again, in a very high percentage of cases, alcohol or drugs are involved.

Even at that number, the fatalities (per capita) in Thailand are four times that of the USA. That's the important number.

I have homes in both Phuket and BKK, and mostly fly, but about 4 times/yr I drive between the two. I've done the trip in everything from 9 to 14 hours, and never endangered anyone, nor driven too fast at night, though I do admit to driving fast during the day. Never too fast for conditions, however. However, last year I decided that, because of how hazardous it was getting with these "no-lights" motorbikes, kamikazee Isusu trucks and everything else, that if I had to drive at night, I would just stop somewhere and stay overnight. I've now done that twice when necessary. I pure and simple won't drive at night on highways anymore. Even in Bangkok, many times at night we take taxis rather than drive. It's just that hazardous out there in many places.

Why is it safer taking a taxi rather than driving your own car? Taxis dont normally have seatbelts and often the drivers havebeen working for hours on end.

Well, it's their car that gets trashed and not yours. You stand a slight better chance getting mashed up against the back of the front seat rather than being thrown through the windshield. And lastly, if everyone survives, it's the taxi driver who may get the ticket, not you. Slight consolations. :o

Why is it safer taking a taxi rather than driving your own car? Taxis dont normally have seatbelts and often the drivers havebeen working for hours on end.

Well, it's their car that gets trashed and not yours. You stand a slight better chance getting mashed up against the back of the front seat rather than being thrown through the windshield. And lastly, if everyone survives, it's the taxi driver who may get the ticket, not you. Slight consolations. :o

Yup, those are the reasons. But probably not valid ones. We'd probably be safer safety-belted in our own cars. I think it's cause we like to tipple a few at night maybe?

I think neither Thai nor American drivers are great ones. I lived in both countries and compared to European standards they both suck, although I would rate the Americans a bit higher :-)

I avoid driving in Thailand at night. It is dangerous enough in daytime.

I think neither Thai nor American drivers are great ones. I lived in both countries and compared to European standards they both suck, although I would rate the Americans a bit higher :-)

Numbers have already been given.

The cold hard reality is that US roads are amongst the safest in the world and safer than many Western European ones.

And all of them are light years ahead of Thailand.

BTW, speaking of "European standards" it irritates me greatly our sheer stupidity/ignorance in resisting to adopt automatic transmissions. I have discovered it in the US and couldn't imagine of ever going back "to the past" and am now driving an AT car in my homecountry. To the surprise of most.

Numbers have already been given.

The cold hard reality is that US roads are amongst the safest in the world and safer than many Western European ones.

And all of them are light years ahead of Thailand.

BTW, speaking of "European standards" it irritates me greatly our sheer stupidity/ignorance in resisting to adopt automatic transmissions. I have discovered it in the US and couldn't imagine of ever going back "to the past" and am now driving an AT car in my homecountry. To the surprise of most.

I would add to this that there are huge numbers of performance auto enthusiasts in the US, and many of them attend pro race clinics at a number of the pro tracks around the US. And, many of us, just plain broke the law in our youth with outrageously powerful and fast cars. Wonder how we're still alive. Yeah, a lot of Americans can drive pretty well, in fact, damm good. And, they know how to drive with real power under the bonnet (hood), unlike many people in the world.

I would add to this that there are huge numbers of performance auto enthusiasts in the US, and many of them attend pro race clinics at a number of the pro tracks around the US. And, many of us, just plain broke the law in our youth with outrageously powerful and fast cars. Wonder how we're still alive. Yeah, a lot of Americans can drive pretty well, in fact, damm good. And, they know how to drive with real power under the bonnet (hood), unlike many people in the world.

just don't ask 'em to turn right ......................... :o

just don't ask 'em to turn right ......................... :o

Good point. I retract my claim...carry on.

Well, what I'm going to say will probably make moo9 happy... :o

American top sport cars don't compare favorably to high end German cars and can't hold a candle to Italian top sport cars! :D

And American enthusiasts' tuned cars although oftentimes more powerful than European enthusiasts' tuned cars (sheer cc as opposed to sophistication) don't have their handling and general chassis/suspension qualities.

If nothing else it's a necessity for how narrow, tortuous and crowded our roads are compared to yours :D

It's also a matter of fact that most of the best cars and motorbikes professional sport drivers of the world are European (and, speaking about motorbikes, especially Italian I might add) :D

Well, what I'm going to say will probably make moo9 happy... :o

American top sport cars don't compare favorably to high end German cars and can't hold a candle to Italian top sport cars! :D

And American enthusiasts' tuned cars although oftentimes more powerful than European enthusiasts' tuned cars (sheer cc as opposed to sophistication) don't have their handling and general chassis/suspension qualities.

If nothing else it's a necessity for how narrow, tortuous and crowded our roads are compared to yours :D

It's also a matter of fact that most of the best cars and motorbikes professional sport drivers of the world are European (and, speaking about motorbikes, especially Italian I might add) :D

What about all the Americans who've raced all around the world? Also unqualified. Just wondering.

What about all the Americans who've raced all around the world? Also unqualified. Just wondering.

Not at all, but I still think (and I believe the numbers prove me right) the European "school" is better in many specialities.

Probably part of the reason is that many World Championships (and the contless track/road/off-road specialities in the car and bike sports) derive from European Championships and European tastes and specialities.

Maybe we just like and specialize in different things.

For example oval racing doesn't appeal us in the least, dragsters and acceleration competitions almost the same etc.

In general, the impression is that in car and bike sports Americans are more about "power", Europeans about "piloting".

Not at all, but I still think (and I believe the numbers prove me right) the European "school" is better in many specialities.

Probably part of the reason is that many World Championships (and the contless track/road/off-road specialities in the car and bike sports) derive from European Championships and European tastes and specialities.

Maybe we just like and specialize in different things.

For example oval racing doesn't appeal us in the least, dragsters and acceleration competitions almost the same etc.

In general, the impression is that in car and bike sports Americans are more about "power", Europeans about "piloting".

I would agree with you about professional drivers. I would argue however, that street drivers from the US are much more proficient with vehicles than anyone else on the planet. In the US, you learn to drive before you can walk almost. And, Americans gain ownership of a car at a much earlier age than anyone else in the world, leading to more years of experience. Therefore, my point is that most Americans you would meet driving in Thailand are probably better drivers than virtually anyone else you would meet in Thailand, including Thais and other farangs. Let it loose boys. :o

Edited by chinthee

I would agree with you about professional drivers. I would argue however, that street drivers from the US are much more proficient with vehicles than anyone else on the planet. In the US, you learn to drive before you can walk almost. And, Americans gain ownership of a car at a much earlier age than anyone else in the world, leading to more years of experience. Therefore, my point is that most Americans you would meet driving in Thailand are probably better drivers than virtually anyone else you would meet in Thailand, including Thais and other farangs. Let it loose boys.

While I agree that the US have much more of a "driving culture" than Western Europe and while I know that in some American states you can start driving at 16 generally people start driving in Europe and in the US roughly at the same age (OK maybe the average is still a bit later for Euros) and car ownership is almost equal, both markets are saturated and since many years we all have just a "sostitution market".

The advantage of the Americans is that they drive, on average, much more than anyone else. I myself have shown the numbers.

The advantage of the Europeans (talking about driving in Thailand) is that our roads and traffic are more similar (or better said, less dissimilar) to Thailand's. And amongst the Europeans, the Brits have the further advantage of being already used to drive on the wrong side of the road! :o

Edited by otton

I would agree with you about professional drivers. I would argue however, that street drivers from the US are much more proficient with vehicles than anyone else on the planet. In the US, you learn to drive before you can walk almost. And, Americans gain ownership of a car at a much earlier age than anyone else in the world, leading to more years of experience. Therefore, my point is that most Americans you would meet driving in Thailand are probably better drivers than virtually anyone else you would meet in Thailand, including Thais and other farangs.

While I agree that the US have much more of a "driving culture" than Western Europe and while I know that in some American states you can start driving at 16 generally people start driving in Europe and in the US roughly at the same age (OK maybe the average is still a bit later for Euros) and car ownership is almost equal, both markets are saturated and since many years we all have just a "sostitution market".

The advantage of the Americans is that they drive, on average, much more than anyone else. I myself have shown the numbers.

The advantage of the Europeans (talking about driving in Thailand) is that our roads and traffic are more similar (or better said, less dissimilar) to Thailand's. And amongst the Europeans, the Brits have the further advantage of being already used to drive on the wrong side of the road!

Yes, I like your arguments and style. You win, slightly. Americans do make up the difference quickly whether driving in the UK, HK, Japan, Thailand or elsewhere. But, you win insofar as driving in Thailand initially, for US drivers who haven't driven RH drive before.

Yes, I like your arguments and style. You win, slightly. Americans do make up the difference quickly whether driving in the UK, HK, Japan, Thailand or elsewhere. But, you win insofar as driving in Thailand initially, for US drivers who haven't driven RH drive before.

Meanwhile, we have completely forgotten the rest of the "farangs"! :o What about the Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders?

The latter two also keep mistakenly driving on the left so they would be as comfortable as the Brits in LOS. And the Australians are also used to drive a lot :D

Anyway, to put this argument at rest: the numbers indisputably say that "farang standards" are the highest in the world and Americans are those who average the highest driving experience...

...and none of this really matter in Thailand, of course :D Once you have got your amulets and your "rot" blessed you will be fine! :D

Meanwhile, we have completely forgotten the rest of the "farangs"! :o What about the Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders?

The latter two also keep mistakenly driving on the left so they would be as comfortable as the Brits in LOS. And the Australians are also used to drive a lot :D

Anyway, to put this argument at rest: the numbers indisputably say that "farang standards" are the highest in the world and Americans are those who average the highest driving experience...

...and none of this really matter in Thailand, of course :D Once you have got your amulets and your "rot" blessed you will be fine! :D

Again, you're right. Please post more. I need to go to bed it's late. And, yes, I have my badges on my car: Crime Suppression Division, and others..., and temple blessing strings around the steering wheels. Yes, just like in Farangland.