Pm Orders Restructuring Of Foreign Ministry

george

PM orders restructuring of foreign ministry

BANGKOK: -- The Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ordered a major administrative restructuring of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Thai leader instructed the restructuring to be completed by the end of next month so that the new batch of Thai diplomats posted abroad can be appointed under the new structure, the Government Spokesman Jakrapob Penkair told TNA on Tuesday.

"The prime minister wants to appoint a new batch of Thai diplomats abroad and other foreign ministry officials on 1 October, which is the beginning of the 2005 fiscal year, and so he wants the bureaucratic restructuring of the ministry to be completed by the end of August," Mr. Jakrapob said.

The prime minister has instructed the Foreign Minister, Surakiart Sathirathai, to oversee the restructuring, according the government spokesman.

Mr. Thaksin issued the instruction during the cabinet's weekly meeting.

The meeting was held via video-conference, as the prime minister is on a six-day visit to the central and northern regions.

The Thai premier’s 'roving trip' will end on Wednesday.

-- TNA 2004-07-21

• 2 weeks later...

The Prime Minister will probably appoint people who he trusts to represent Thailand in line with the official policies.

Like every prime minister does, everywhere in the world. Look at the practise of appointing ambassadors of the USA. Many of them gave substantial financial contributions in election-times and when appointed they strictly followed their directives.

A Thai person would have the politness never even to suggest that American ambassador-posts could be bought. Because they are not bought.

In the past there have been certain problems and the Prime Minister probably wants to create an organizational structure to prevent them from happening again.

I respect the Prime Minister of Thailand. He is a choosen leader in one of the most transparent elections of Thailand. He will be the first prime-minister ending his term and maybe even the first in Thai history who will be choosen for a second term.

Please, show a little bit more respect!

Limbo...I just forgot your family name..i it Shinawatra???.....:-)

No, it is not.

But I am actually acquainted to some members of his close family and I felt that some things were written which are not correct, decent, yes even insulting.