Sound Problem

nwh

I have a Sony vajo notebook w/XP edition. a few months ago my CD drive refused to read any music files of .wma type, so i couldn't listen to any of my cd's and the dvd's came with no sound either. now it's a new thing: i have no sound at all. i went thru all the usual checks, also went to my computer fix-it guy and he couldn't help. reinstaled the drivers too, to no avail. anyone has any idea what else i could do before sending it to BKK service for a month?

thanks

If all the set up in software looks like it should work then maybe its the speaker jack. try the head phones jack. If its not there also then its a card or something getting missed in the set up. Do files play from windows player or is it just cd audio your missing. Video sound missing from both files and cd as well as mp3 and wave sounds.?

Download a program called Gspot, it will run media files and check if your system has the correct codec loaded to play the file, if this checks out then you most likely have a hardware problem, do you eve use headphones ? if so is your sound working through headphones, if it is then your problem could be the headphone socket which has a switch that channels the sound to headphones and turns off speakers when you have a plug inserted, sometimes this socket can become faulty where you will not get sound from speakers even when theres nothing plugged in.

Just a thought, does your PC have a mechanical volume control (a physical knob)?

Last time someone brought me a laptop that made no sound (IIRC an Acer) the volume was turned right down :o

Otherwise the money's on the phone jack being duff.