Voice Recognition Software

stumonster

L&H and Philips had comparitively "good" voice recognition, but only for a very limited vocabulary.

There is voice recognition available in Windows XP.

I tried to use it for dictating but it takes more time to correct the text than typing it in the first place.

Voice recognition is very very difficult for a computer. 20 years ago people in the industrie said that we would have good voice recognition in 5 years. Those people are now out of business and other people are claiming the same. Guess it will take a 100 years or a significant revolutuion in computer technology.

Nowadays it still is very bad at recognizing voices from different people, it gets better when you use it after extensive training to your voice and a limited vocabulary or a known context..

I tried to use it in voice response systems with very small dictionaries but never got good result. You can get it free with windows Xp or you can buy engines for 100.000 euro. Sometimes the free one with XP is better and sometimes the expensive ones.

To make a long story short i have to agree with sas_cars.... it's crap!

hi'

tested some as they announced improvements in their software :D

viavoice and naturally-speaking from ibm and dragon.

the improvement is real but still not perfect, the first step is the "learning" stage and is still very important, do it properly and take your time to do it again.

useless to say that it works better if you have a clear voice ... changless one :D

give it a try, it begins to be worth the effort :D

I just tested them, I'm not using any ... typing is still faster :o

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

• 3 years later...

Same subject, 3 to 5 years later. How much does it cost for Dragon Naturally Speaking? Where would I buy it in Chiang Mai? How much of an improvement is version 9 over the prior versions? My right hand, especially the pinky finger, is so bad that my typing speed has maybe slowed from 55 wpm to 20 or 15.

Do I just install it and use a good microphone? Since I would be the only user, will it recognize my voice, assuming my voice is clear and there is no background noise? Would needed corrections using my fingers negate the advantage of speaking?

Thanks for any answers.

For constructive opinions and information on Dragon speak and other voice related programs,the associations and services who support the Blind and partially sighted in UK, who use these programmes daily, are always willing to pass on useful information :o Nignoy

Same subject, 3 to 5 years later. How much does it cost for Dragon Naturally Speaking? Where would I buy it in Chiang Mai? How much of an improvement is version 9 over the prior versions? My right hand, especially the pinky finger, is so bad that my typing speed has maybe slowed from 55 wpm to 20 or 15.

Do I just install it and use a good microphone? Since I would be the only user, will it recognize my voice, assuming my voice is clear and there is no background noise? Would needed corrections using my fingers negate the advantage of speaking?

Thanks for any answers.

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking often and it works extremely well though not perfectly. I really like it. Saves lots of mileage on my fingers and wrist, which is the main issue for me, not speed, though DNS is fast enough on a good modern computer. Voice recognition software has come quite far in the past few years. Latest version is 9.5, I think. I use 9.0. You'll need to spend some time learning how to use it (some people can't, because it's impossible for them to speak standard English or speak clearly) and doing a bit of training, though the training is less important nowadays. It works better in some applications, like Word, than others. As for acquiring it, you can do so legally through the official website, or you can go the other route: many software shops in Thailand (that IT Mall in Chiang Mai) have copies or can order a copy, and the torrent sites usually list it for downloading. I am not advocating anything illegal.

A good headset is a must; expect to pay around 1500+. Plantronics, carried by IT City, is great. High end Phillips and Creative (really nice one for notebooks ~2500) are also good. My Plantronics is light and suitable for music as well. It's sometimes nice to be able to listen to music as you dictate. However, if you're often on the phone, then a single ear headset might be better for you.

A good headset is a must; expect to pay around 1500+. Plantronics, carried by IT City, is great. High end Phillips and Creative (really nice one for notebooks ~2500) are also good. My Plantronics is light and suitable for music as well. It's sometimes nice to be able to listen to music as you dictate. However, if you're often on the phone, then a single ear headset might be better for you.

I hope this is relavant and not going off the software topic....

I'm also interested in getting the voice recogntion software, and the headset needed. In addition to the voice recognition, I would like to use the headset for VOIP / Skype. However, I'd like to be wireless- have enough range to move around my condo and be handsfree while talking.

Can anyone suggest a setup that will work well? Is there a transmitter / receiver set that I can use with the good quality headsets mentioned above (I'm imagining the headset plugged into a walkman sized "transciever" on my belt) , or a separate / different integrated product?

Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks to all who responded. Well, my impatience ran out, I tried it on the cheap, and the program that took 12 hours to install isn't working. For one thing, it seems to know that I did not pay US$100 for my version, and will not allow me to register a code which was already registered. I have 9.0, after running around town to several places, but it won't work and is schedujl;ed tp stp wrking soon.

In trying to install it, I plugged in my headset wrong, and of course the software said it was a poor audio. Then when I continue in the setup, it stops. I assume I need to spend 3,500 baht for a version which may not be found in Chiang Mai, and then spend 1,000 baht more for a better mic (although who knows if my 500 baht headset is okay?), for a setup that may not help me that much.

another alternative would be to keeo using my bad finger and nobody will know what i'm writing. Note my revised signature>?

Thanks to all who responded. Well, my impatience ran out, I tried it on the cheap, and the program that took 12 hours to install isn't working. For one thing, it seems to know that I did not pay US$100 for my version, and will not allow me to register a code which was already registered. I have 9.0, after running around town to several places, but it won't work and is schedujl;ed tp stp wrking soon.

In trying to install it, I plugged in my headset wrong, and of course the software said it was a poor audio. Then when I continue in the setup, it stops. I assume I need to spend 3,500 baht for a version which may not be found in Chiang Mai, and then spend 1,000 baht more for a better mic (although who knows if my 500 baht headset is okay?), for a setup that may not help me that much.

another alternative would be to keeo using my bad finger and nobody will know what i'm writing. Note my revised signature>?

Typically the Thai software shop disks have a file on them with specific directions about how to install and "register" the software.

I never had any problems w/ the installation and am shocked that it took 12 hours for you. Sounds like the program doesn't like something about your computer, but I don't know what that could be. DNS does like a fairly fast computer w/ a generous amount of RAM.