Turkish Airlines

Sophon

Tickets from Copenhagen to Bangkok in January sell out pretty quickly, and I normally book my holiday as early as May/June. However, this year I'm a little late because of work restraints. My preferred airlines are normally Thai/SAS simply because they have direct flights, but in high season they can sometimes be quite expensive - especially if you don't book early.

I have a "back-up" booking made directly with Thai, which I don't have to pay until two weeks before I leave. I have also just made a booking with Turkish Airlines, but that has to be paid Tuesday if I want to hang on to it. A third alternative is SAS, and if book with them I also have to book and pay shortly to lock in the booking. I have no problem with paying now other than I then won't be in a position to take advantage of any offers that may come up between now and January, but since January is high season prices normally only go up the closer we get.

The prices with the three airlines are as follows (approximately):

Thai DKK 10,500 (USD 1,900)

SAS DKK 9,000 (USD 1,635)

Turkish Airlines 5,700 (USD 1,035)

So quite significant price differences between the three. One major downside with Turkish Airlines is that they have a stop over in Istanbul and as a consequence the travel time will be a total of 10 hours longer than with the other airlines (4 hours coming over and 6 going back). The only airline with prices in the same neighbourhood as Turkish Airlines is Aeroflot but that's one airline I don't want to fly with.

So do anyone have any experiences with Turkish Airlines they want to share? All input is appreciated.

Sophon

Hi Sophon,

I have flown many times with Turkish Airlines and I feel that they are getting better every time. From Copenhagen to Istanbul you will have an Airbus A320/321 or Boeing 737, both of which are comfortable. From IST to Bangkok, TK is now using the Airbus A330, which is very new and comfortable and offers an AVOD in-flight entertainment system. The food is always great, the flight attendants most of the times are pleasant. And the fare is very good too. The only downside in your case would be the long layover in Istanbul. It's a nice enough airport but there is not too much to do. There are several food and beverage venues on both sides of the terminal. Shopping is relatively expensive. I believe they now offer wireless internet in the terminal.

Via this link you can read a trip report on my aviation forum about my last flights on TK.

Tickets from Copenhagen to Bangkok in January sell out pretty quickly, and I normally book my holiday as early as May/June. However, this year I'm a little late because of work restraints. My preferred airlines are normally Thai/SAS simply because they have direct flights, but in high season they can sometimes be quite expensive - especially if you don't book early.

I have a "back-up" booking made directly with Thai, which I don't have to pay until two weeks before I leave. I have also just made a booking with Turkish Airlines, but that has to be paid Tuesday if I want to hang on to it. A third alternative is SAS, and if book with them I also have to book and pay shortly to lock in the booking. I have no problem with paying now other than I then won't be in a position to take advantage of any offers that may come up between now and January, but since January is high season prices normally only go up the closer we get.

The prices with the three airlines are as follows (approximately):

Thai DKK 10,500 (USD 1,900)

SAS DKK 9,000 (USD 1,635)

Turkish Airlines 5,700 (USD 1,035)

So quite significant price differences between the three. One major downside with Turkish Airlines is that they have a stop over in Istanbul and as a consequence the travel time will be a total of 10 hours longer than with the other airlines (4 hours coming over and 6 going back). The only airline with prices in the same neighbourhood as Turkish Airlines is Aeroflot but that's one airline I don't want to fly with.

So do anyone have any experiences with Turkish Airlines they want to share? All input is appreciated.

Sophon

:o I used to work in Turkey (about 10 years ago now) and I flew Turkish airlines from Istanbul to BKK twice. Found that Turkish Airlines was at least up to international standard, though maybe not at a Singapore Airlines standard. The airport at Istanbul has been redone within the last 10 years, and is good. The reason I flew Turkish is that I was in the far east of Turkey at the time and had to do about a 3 hour trip to get to Istanbul for my international flight. At the time Turkish Airlines gave me the best deal by quoting me the normal price for an Istanbul to Bangkok flight and throwing in the domestic flights for free. I couldn't argue with that deal. Basically I would say Turkish Airlines was good, but not memorable. Food and service was good, and I was happy with the flight.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

according my wife and me TK is a desent airline,food rather good on the way from IST to BKK good TURKISH wine

:D

only in my opinion the stewardesses should learn to smile more next time to europ I fligh white them again

Georges :o

have flown Manhester to Bkk twice with Turkish. A good airline, and Istanbul Airport is fine.

The first time i flew with them, on the return leg from BKK to Istanbul, Turkey was experiencing its worst snow blizzards in decades.. Istanbul Airport had to be closed and we were diverted in-flight to Ankara. Turkish Airlines then paid for everyones 10 quid entry visa into Turkey, and put us all up in a $150 a night Hotel in the capitol. Next morning they taxied us back to Ankara Airport where we made the short flight to the re-opened Istanbul and another snag - we couldn't be put onto that days Manchester flight. So, they paid again for another $150 a night Hotel this time in downtown Istanbul. All food in both hotels was also paid for. Next day we finally got back to Man.

None of his was the fault of Turkish Airlines, just extreme weather conditions that affected all flights in Turkey that particular weekend. But for the way they handled the situation, and at massive cost to themselves, they get my thumbs up anytime. It was like a free weekend break in two Turkish cities.