U.s. Soldier

London -

The train was very crowded, a US soldier walked the length of the train, looking for an empty seat. The only unoccupied seat was directly adjacent to a well dressed middle-aged French lady and was being used by her little dog.The war weary soldier asked, "Please ma'am, may I sit in that seat?"

The French woman looked down her nose at the soldier, sniffed and said, "You Americans..You are such a rude class of people. Can't you see my little Fifi is using that seat?"

The soldier walked away, determined to find a place to rest, but after another trip down to the end of the train, found himself again facing the woman with the dog. Again he asked, "Please lady, may I sit there? I'm very tired." The French woman wrinkled her nose and snorted, "You Americans! Not only are you rude, you are also arrogant." The soldier was so frustrated he didn't say anything else, but he leaned over, picked up the little dog, tossed it out the window of the train and sat down in the empty seat. The woman shrieked and railed, and demanded that someone defend her and chastise the soldier.

An English gentleman sitting across the aisle spoke up, "You know sir, you Americans do seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong thing. You eat holding the fork in the wrong hand. You drive your cars on the wrong side of the road. And now, sir, you've thrown the wrong bitch out the window."

Well guys, it was the lovely welcome in 1944 by the Brits, during preperation for the Normandie.

It was not even deragatory, just English humour, I say.

You must pronounce over 'heaar'.

'44 was, of course, long before my time, read your history or talk to some elders before they fade away . :o

True, they were just mad that the Americans were taking care of business back in England while the men were elsewhere.

I understud wrong , I thought you ment over here in Thailand. Over there in England...NAAAh to scary for most of us peace loving Americans :o

Yes, Americans,

overpaid, overfed, over sexed and worse of all

over here

Why would you post this here. What does it have to do with Thailand? Take this kind of crap to the bear pit , You can spew it there if you want and spare the rest of us that are on this forum. This is called thaivisa not anti-american visa.. I would think a public apology would be in order.

where are the mods? :o

Now guys, who is that sensitive? We are in "Thailand Forum -> General -> Jokes - make my day!" and my posting was in reply to "Replying to U.S. Soldier". Believe my comment is relevant to the little story, given by the OP, which I find quite humorous.

Anyway, different time, different era, but historic fact:

Perhaps read Donald K Meissner's 'The Disaster at Bari'.

Don served aboard the SS Lyman Abbott

http://www.armed-guard.com/ag60.html

In the ten days we were there, they never dropped a bomb on

us or the docks. The British said there were four things

about us they didn't like: "We were overpaid, overfed,

oversexed, and over here".

or:

OVERPAID, OVERSEXED, AND OVER HERE by Juliet Gardiner

An account of the "friendly invasion" of the British Isles by American GIs, with an emphasis on various personal experiences of both Yanks and Brits as their cultures clashed.

or

RICH RELATIONS: THE AMERICAN OCCUPATION OF BRITAIN, 1942-1945, by David Reynolds

David Reynolds not only recounts what happened with England being occupied by overpaid, overfed, oversexed, and "over here" GIs, but goes into the reasons as to why these Americans soldiers were overpaid, why they were overfed, why they were oversexed, and why so doggone many of them were over here, or rather, over there, for such a long time. (One division spent almost two years in England!).

Below link might help, but why do you expect me to publicly apologize for a bit of English humor, which I believe it was and made myself smile, first time I heard in in history classes? Many of my Brit-friends still find it amusing, so who could take offence? :o

http://www.motherflieshurricanes.com/best_...icans_in_br.htm

lol, you certianly pushed a button with your quote axel.

that joke was not just prevalent in england, it was used in australia during the war years also.

I think I first heard it from my grandmother who was in her early 20's living in sydney during that time.

stumonster, it is on oldie but for sure reflects the situation at the time. And, I daresay, it was a statement of endearment by the English with their dry humor.

In England, and I guess from what you say, in Australia the people seem to have more humor, which might have gotten lost on the other side of the atlantic. Hopefully for the time being, only.

Living in Thailand, or away from home, one would expect others to open up more and to see their own country a bit from the outside, looking in. I do not mean one should give up the own nationality or feelings for home, just widen one's own horizon. Great to live here and meet up with others who have one thing in common, being away from home.

Why would you post this here. What does it have to do with Thailand? Take this kind of crap to the bear pit , You can spew it there if you want and spare the rest of us that are on this forum.  This is called thaivisa not anti-american visa.. I would think a public apology would be in order.

M'thinks you need a sense of humour transplant.

Why would you post this here. What does it have to do with Thailand? Take this kind of crap to the bear pit , You can spew it there if you want and spare the rest of us that are on this forum.  This is called thaivisa not anti-american visa.. I would think a public apology would be in order.

M'thinks you need a sense of humour transplant.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

how's that!

Well guys, it was the lovely welcome in 1944 by the Brits, during preperation for the Normandie.

It was not even deragatory, just English humour, I say.

You must pronounce over 'heaar'.

'44 was, of course, long before my time, read your history or talk to some elders before they fade away .  :D

Do tell us about the Real Battle of the Bulge then, will you, Mr. Axel? :o

Do tell us about the Real Battle of the Bulge then, will you, Mr. Axel? :o

Well, I hope you do not want to discuss the Ardennes in 1944 here in the Jokes-section.

The real bulge, I understand comes from too much beer, or was it whisky?

No, not whisky, too much Singha-draft.

My memory of it comes from a holiday at my grandmother's in Kettering in Northamptonshire in 1944, when I was nine. It was the first time I had seen a negro.

I remember how troubled the Yanks looked. Almost dislocated.

Of course, I only saw them in the cold light of day. They might have looked more attractive when 'out on the town' after dark.

My other memory of that holiday is the American bombers forming up like great shoals of silver fish to go off to bomb on the Continent. And them coming back so haphazardly, many showing nasty battle damage.

Must have been scary for those Yanks, wondering what they were being sent into.

:o

I think that we have gone well off the beaten track here. This section of the forum is for humour.

Having recently toured the Normandy Invasion area (where my own father parachuted into with the Parachute Regiment). I suggest that those knocking the Americans in Europe during WW2, should go and look at the U.S. cemetary at Omaha Beach and try counting the graves, before looking over the cliff edge and trying to imagine the feeling of desperation that must have hit all those servicemen coming ashore. All of those young men laying there want our thanks and not condemnation. How many of us would be here now if it was not for their sacrifice.