Thailand's Third Budget Airline Begins Service

george

Thailand's third budget airline begins service

BANGKOK: -- Nok Air, Thailand's newest budget airline, took to the skies for the first time Friday, a spokesman said.

The inaugural flight of Nok Air, partly owned by national carrier Thai Airways International, flew from the capital, Bangkok, to the northern city of Udon Thani, company spokesman Kuntawat Sirijangkapatana said.

The airline also began services to the northern city of Chiang Mai and the southern province of Hat Yai. It will offer 20 flights daily until October, when it will begin flying to the resort island of Phuket, Kuntawat said.

Nok Air currently leases two Boeing 737-400 planes and cockpit crews from Thai Airways, which owns a 39 percent share of the airline, Kuntawat said.

Nok _ which means "bird'' in Thai - will lease another plane later this year for its Phuket service, he said.

Fares begin at 498 baht (US$12) for flights from Bangkok to Udon Thani, 598 baht (US$15) to Chiang Mai and 898 baht (US$22) to Hat Yai.

Nok Air is the third no-frills carrier to set up in Thailand. Bangkok-based Orient Thai Airlines last year established 1-2-GO, and Thai Air Asia, a Thai joint venture with Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia, began flights within Thailand in February.

- AP 2004-07-23

I booked CMX to BKK for Oct. 30 at 580 Baht. Then my daughter changed her wedding date, and I am now looking to pay 500 Baht to change the flight to a week earlier. By the way BKK to CMX is 1200 Baht.

I am hopeful that NokAir will offer a level of service somewhere between Thai Airways and AirAsia.

Fares begin at 498 baht (US$12) for flights from Bangkok to Udon Thani, 598 baht (US$15) to Chiang Mai and 898 baht (US$22) to Hat Yai.

Nok Air is the third no-frills carrier to set up in Thailand. Bangkok-based Orient Thai Airlines last year established 1-2-GO, and Thai Air Asia, a Thai joint venture with Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia, began flights within Thailand in February.

I just got a ticket - Phuket to Bkk - for 855 baht with 1-2-Go. The advertised price is 600, but you have to pay 155 tax etc, plus 100 baht advance booking fee (which is a bit of a joke as all flights are full, so this 'extra' fee is mandatory). But it's still only 100 baht more than the VIP bus.

But right next door to 1-2-Go at Phuket airport are the other Airlines with other prices, like Bangkok air for 1,600 baht (I think). How can they sell any tickets? I had hoped that the concept of "competition" might reach the airlines, but they don't seem to understand it, yet.

But right next door to 1-2-Go at Phuket airport are the other Airlines with other prices, like Bangkok air for 1,600 baht (I think). How can they sell any tickets? I had hoped that the concept of "competition" might reach the airlines, but they don't seem to understand it, yet.

I hear what you're saying but the other guys are still selling tickets at their regular non-discounted prices. I suppose their thinking then is why change just yet? I was on a CNX-BKK flight the other week on THAI and it was almost full (equipment: 777).

In Malaysia, Malaysia Airlines has taken on AirAsia by offering a 50% discount on domestic tickets with the catch being that tickets purchased in the deep-discount class cannot be changed. My thought is that THAI figured they don't have to follow with a similar offer as Nok Air will take care of the budget market for them.

I'm trying out Nok Air on a BKK-CNX flight on 01 August. I'll see how they compare to AirAsia and Orient Thai...

To get frequent flyer miles and slightly better service. You might ask why people buy the shirt with the crocodile or silly-sod on the horse instead of the ones without them, which are considerably cheaper... It's the same question, isn't it?

As long as people are willing to pay for a particular brand, it will sell.

I'll still fly TG occasionally on domestic routes if I feel I may need the flexibility to make unrestricted changes or require a larger baggage allowance. If I just need to get from Point A to Point B, know I won't be carrying much and won't be making any changes, I'll shop for the best deal.

I booked CMX to BKK for Oct. 30 at 580 Baht. Then my daughter changed her wedding date, and I am now looking to pay 500 Baht to change the flight to a week earlier. By the way BKK to CMX is 1200 Baht.

One thing most of us airline passengers don't realize is that there is not one or two or even three prices for tickets on the same plane.

Depending on when you book, how many people have already booked that particular flight etc the price you pay for the ticket varies. What for us passengers is "coach" may be divided up in 15 different classes by the airline, all priced at different rates. I don't know how these new budget airlines have split it up but I assume that they use similar models with many different fare classes. The different fares you got BKK-CNX and CNX-BKK indicates that they have more than one fare class.

And yeah, all of them have fees, surcharges, taxes and extras that they don't tell you about until you make or change a reservation... :o

I don't know how these new budget airlines have split it up but I assume that they use similar models with many different fare classes.

AirAsia uses a number of different fare classes for their flights. Nok Air indicates they will do the same. 1-2-Go's current gimmick is that all seats on a given flight are the same price.

Hmm THB598? The Nok Air website lists THB998 fare for BKK-CNX. Perhaps online booking is more expensive.

598 is the lowest base price. Different flights, depending on bookings, will have different price. So if you buy early you get the lowest price. Check other dates.

Nok Air is offering 598 baht BKK-CNX v.v. one-way fares at the moment but I got the impression that this was an introductory offer and the "normal" price will be 998 baht (but who can say for sure in the cut-throat world that is low-cost airlines).

Don't be happy soon guys, cheaper airline mean less maintance to cut cost and increase your changes to be in headline newspaper.

I did often fly with airasia and few occasion the plane GPS and whole wiring system collapase lucky the whole plane still at Don Muang airport ,we stuck in the plane without light and aircond for half an hour. I don't intent to srace anybody but to share my nightmare. Even the ticket are cheaper then a bus ticket only 999 from Bkk-KUL but some times I rather take a train.

Just wondering if anyone has used nok to fly from bkk to chx. or, anywhere yet for that matter? also, what has been the lowest fares so far?

Lowest Nok fare between Bangkok and Chiang Mai is 598 baht plus taxes. Should work out to almost 800 baht with the taxes added in. By the way, the airport code for Chiang Mai is CNX. CHX is the code for Changuinola, Panama, probably not your final destination! :o

Just wondering if anyone has used nok to fly from bkk to chx. or, anywhere yet for that matter? also, what has been the lowest fares so far?

Lowest Nok fare between Bangkok and Chiang Mai is 598 baht plus taxes. Should work out to almost 800 baht with the taxes added in. By the way, the airport code for Chiang Mai is CNX. CHX is the code for Changuinola, Panama, probably not your final destination! :D

:o:D:D ...........thats me set up for the day..

I not sure what the logic is with ThaiAir introducing their own cheap airline; BA tried it in the UK, and they just did not have the mindset to run a no frills airline. I think Thai should have changed all their domestic flights to be value for money; the domestic routes already have the feel of a cheap airline, and the prices are pretty low (well compared to domestic flights in other countries). Also the livery for Nok uses the same colours as Thai Air, so why make it look like Thai Air? To me it seems like a half hearted attempt to fend off the cheap airlines; just like BA did.

I not sure what the logic is with ThaiAir introducing their own cheap airline; BA tried it in the UK, and they just did not have the mindset to run a no frills airline.

Have any successful low-cost airlines been spun off from a parent major carrier? There may be an example or two out there but I can't think of any myself.

GO was a spin off from British Airways and was headed up by Babs Cassani who then I seem to remember went for a management buy out and finally sold it on to Stelyos EASYJET (and no doubt made a few bob on the deal) :D

She was later asked to fire up the British Olympic bit in in 2012 and then (had to)resigned for some suspect reasons....or other

Suggestions that since she was a YANK / Fe-mail etc.then not suitable material for a Jolly Good Old Brit,School Tie,Old Boy Type funny,nudge-nudge handshake jobby. :o

Dont Annoy the Horses. :D

So, are there any intrepid travelers amongst us that have tried Nok Air yet? I'll be flying with them this coming Sunday (01 August) and will post a quick report if nobody beats me to it in the interim.