Bittorrent In Chiang Mai -- (bittorrent Is Fully Legal Software

Sanpatong

Yes, I have a lot of trouble with bittorrent downloads as well. Don't know what the issue is; a straight download from for example the Ubuntu Linux website works really fast, but bittorrent just stalls.

Any mods with Rob-Styles aspirations, for the legal status, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

A growing number of individuals and organizations are using BitTorrent to distribute their own or licensed material. The most notable of these is BitTorrent Inc. which has amassed a number of licenses from Hollywood studios for distributing popular content at the company's website. Independent adopters report that without using BitTorrent technology, with its dramatically reduced demands on networking hardware and bandwidth, they could not afford to distribute their files.

BitTorrent is often used to distribute free and open source software, especially ISO images of Linux distributions. Most Linux distributions offer BitTorrent as one of the download methods for installation CDs.

Sub Pop Records, the record label credited with popularizing grunge rock and current publisher of The Shins, The Postal Service and other popular bands, releases tracks and videos via BitTorrent Inc.[4] to distribute its 1000+ albums. The band Ween uses the website Browntracker.net[5] to distribute free audio and video recordings of live shows."

Edited by Sanpatong

It IS ok to discuss Bit Torrent technology.

It is NOT ok to discuss using it for illegal purposes, i.e. discussing ways of obtaining copyrighted material or what copyrighted material you may download.

As long as these guidelines are followed, the topic can run.

Last time I checked, Bit Torrent is blocked at either the ISP or local network level (i.e. for those of you that connect through a network in your apartment building).

The tendency, at least earlier, has been that the cheaper internet packages do not support Bit Torrent downloads whereas the more expensive ones do.

If there has been a change in this behaviour, perhaps it means CAT's international gateway is using software that blocks Bit Torrent. If so, local downloads should still work ok. Anyone who has a Thai based server could upload a torrent file to it and I would volunteer to check what the speed would be like.