New Use For Sniffer Dogs

snoophound

Condoms sniffing, barking dogs to promote safe sex

Best to place condoms in easy sight

A leading Thai politician and personality has proposed using dogs to sniff out people who fail to carry condoms on them.

The idea is to help promote “safe sex”, according to Meechai Viravaidya. He was responsible for an earlier campaign in Thailand’s promoting the use of condoms and family planning.

The condom-sniffing dogs project could be launched without waiting for government support and funding, said Meechai.

It could begin with the selection of a few dogs which could easily be taught to sniff for condoms, and bark when a person does not have a pack of condoms on them. Meechai appealed to anyone who wanted to, to donate dogs to the project.

Meechai made his suggestion at the 15th International AIDS Conference in Muang Thong Thani on the outskirts of Bangkok on Friday. He saw police dogs sniffing for drugs at AIDS conference. This, he said, gave him the idea of using dogs to sniff for condoms.

The idea, he said, struck him as an interesting way to keep people interested in AIDS prevention campaign activities, especially promoting the use of condoms among today’s sexually liberal youths.

Meechai is an internationally renowned AIDS prevention advocate, who is widely known as “Mr. Condom” in Thailand. (TNA)

snoophound, please confirm that above was written on April 1st. :o

No Axel, this is true. I always respected Mechai and I am a bit flabbergasted by this suggestion. It's way off the mark.

The police in Pattaya is already checking handbags of ladies walking around town late at night, when they find condoms they'll fine the girls for being a prostitute.

Not very "anti aids", just like the forced removal of condom selling machines in gay saunas. I guess Thailand still has to look elsewhere for information how to battle aids, it appears it still hasn't got a clue..

Xin Wie

It could begin with the selection of a few dogs which could easily be taught to sniff for condoms, and bark when a person does not have a pack of condoms on them. Meechai appealed to anyone who wanted to, to donate dogs to the project.

Now that Thailand has been declared drug-free by Mr. Big, there is probably a whole army of out-of-work drug-sniffing dogs just looking to be retrained. :o

When i first read the thread i thought it was yet another wind up but apparantly this is true,

I asked my neighbour (Royal Thai Police) if he had heard this was the case and he said not around here (Rural) but he has a collegue working in Bangkok and was breifed that there have powers to stop and search for condoms and any lady not found to be in possesion of a condom faced a 200 TB instant fine,

He did go on to say and stress that this only applied to KNOWN working girls.

Maybe this thread should be diverted to the silliest laws in Thailand thread ?

Because the carrying of 1 condom in your purse does not mean that it will be used :D:D:o

I asked my neighbour (Royal Thai Police) if he had heard this was the case and he said not around here (Rural) but he has a collegue working in Bangkok and was breifed that there have powers to stop and search for condoms and any lady not found to be in possesion of a condom faced a 200 TB instant fine,

Well that makes more sense.

Do they stock the big size as well, for farangs? :o