New Browser!

francois

hi'

I discovered a new browser, fast and with all options possible, tab surfing,

mouse gesture and so on ... pop-up blocker etc etc :o

give it a try :D

maxthon web-browser

it's another alternative one, and as it is based on IE5x, no problem of no-compliance as we could have seen with some others.

actually, the latest version is on beta release, soon the 1.0 stable.

it was called myIE2, and still valid under this name with a 0.97 release, called combo2, all plug-ins and extras included :D

worth to try :D

cheers

francois

Hi,

I'm a webdeveloper (have been for the past 6yrs)

<quote>

It's another alternative one, and as it is based on IE5x, no problem of no-compliance as we could have seen with some others.

</quote>

IE5x is the biggest pain for web developers. To call it compiant is a Joke.

It has serious flaws in its CSS engine that makes it almost unusable. You have to employ ugly hacks as it adds up the CSS sizes wrong!. And dont get me started on the securty holes.

I would suggest you do me (and everyone else who cares about standard compliance) and favor and download Firefox as it has all the featues you noted and isnt based the M$ bastard child.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Regards,

Luke

hi'

as I said based on ... does not mean that it's Microshit one :D

they rebuilt a browser based on the engine and I guess that it was to correct all the bugs

from the IE5x or above...

and if you visit the site, you will see that it is valid for any version of IE 5x or above ...

but it's anew browser ... not an IE one :o

talking of compliance ... it's mainly because most of the sites built are built for IE :D

I run netscape for years ... since version2 ... I'll probably never change :wub:

with Linux I use netscape too or Galeon, I do agree that firefox is a nice one ..

but, it's personnal choice ... don't shoot before to look at what you are shooting at :D

check the site first -_-

thanks for them.

and/or contact the develloper's team :(

cheers

francois

ps: Maxthon is not a MS one !

and for a web develloper you should have noticed that the quote are written this way:

QUOTE AND /QUOTE with [ ] not <quote> </quote> ... hmm hmm

some progress in code language won't hurt :D

Edited by francois

Hi,

I'm a webdeveloper (have been for the past 6yrs)

<quote>

It's another alternative one, and as it is based on IE5x, no problem of no-compliance as we could have seen with some others.

</quote>

IE5x is the biggest pain for web developers. To call it compiant is a Joke.

It has serious flaws in its CSS engine that makes it almost unusable. You have to employ ugly hacks as it adds up the CSS sizes wrong!. And dont get me started on the securty holes.

I would suggest you do me (and everyone else who cares about standard compliance) and favor and download Firefox as it has all the featues you noted and isnt based the M$ bastard child.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Regards,

Luke

Not want to start a flame but there are other opinions just as valid.

You know what we developers would still be stuck with when there would be no microsoft. Still behind a 100.000$ computer with 64K memory typing some obscure code. At least now you have a job as a script jockey. Why complain?

Because they make a lot of money and give most people what they want?

If you read the CSS specification you will notice it is a little strange. Professionals call that legacy and backward compatibility. That is why it is not very well defined.

If you want You can add "STRICT" to your code and IE6 will be complient.

Why make ugly hacks (very unprofessional), just read the docs.

But try building a web application where you need to control the width and height of elements and you will see Microsofts implementation makes much more sense. Not only my opinion i might add.

Many interesting sites are NOT made by professionals.

Microsofts implementation when not using "STRICT" is more loose so it will show sites which are not made by professionals but where its content is still worth reading.

I think that is a good thing!

It still can be more user friendly, and MAXTHON does just that.

You can use a non IE based browser but many sites will not render correct. Sure it is the fault of the website designer but who cares, not everyone wants to make it his/hers profession. And many people still want to see it and not get some mixed up page.

Think about the majority of the people who are browsing, you think they care how it is made. They just want to see what is made.

BTW. That is called user friendly.

MAXTHON Rocks!

and yes i have Microsoft shares in my portfolio. :o

they rebuilt a browser based on the engine and I guess that it was to correct all the bugs

from the IE5x or above...

All they have done is added things on top of the core IE engine. M$ dont let people see the sourcecode of their IE core engine (as its full of security holes) so they cannot have fixed those issues. All this browser does is piggyback the IE engine (something people have been doing for a long time) and add some nice user features.
If you read the CSS specification you will notice it is a little strange. Professionals call that legacy and backward compatibility. That is why it is not very well defined.

If you want You can add "STRICT" to your code and IE6 will be complient.

Why make ugly hacks (very unprofessional), just read the docs.

I dont have a problem with IE6. I use it all the time. I was trying to stop people using IE5x. Normally I develop using Firebird and test it in IE. This way I get less problems. As for being unprofessional I think spending the time to make my sites work for people with legacy browsers (IE5x) is hardly unprofessional. Take a look at the kind of things we have to use to get CSS working in those browsers.

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModelHack

You know what we developers would still be stuck with when there would be no microsoft.

I can only dream :o:D

Look... I didnt want to start an anti M$ thread or my browser is better than yours all I wanted to do was let users know that they should stay away from IE5.0 and IE5.5. The other thing to note is that M$ are not developing IE7, so for the future it looks like Mozilla is the way to go.

Look... I didnt want to start an anti M$ thread or my browser is better than yours all I wanted to do was let users know that they should stay away from IE5.0 and IE5.5. The other thing to note is that M$ are not developing IE7, so for the future it looks like Mozilla is the way to go.

Great response. I am happy that you respond with facts. I see now you specifically targeted 5.x and not IEX.X and you are right.

I have to listen to Ben. (You're eyes can deceive you don't trust them).

With Longhorn coming closer it is a pitty MS is going to intergrate IE even more in its OS. It will be very difficult to secure and patch. And that's becoming more and more important every day.

And if Mozilla drops the "Mozilla mail" it would be a great browser.

hi'

I dont have a problem with IE6. I use it all the time. I was trying to stop people using IE5x. Normally I develop using Firebird and test it in IE. This way I get less problems. As for being unprofessional I think spending the time to make my sites work for people with legacy browsers (IE5x) is hardly unprofessional. Take a look at the kind of things we have to use to get CSS working in those browsers.

SO ... what are you on ... firefox or msIE6?

are you happy with IE6 and all it's failure to patch bugs against worms and virus that hit

only ms products?

please don't flame people for their personnal choice :o

as a web develloper as well ... I found that most of devellopers are building for the majority of users ... ofr IE ... it's simply a fact, and a lot of non-professionnal devellopers

still use frontpage ...

it's also a fact ... sorry for them :D

BTW. That is called user friendly.

MAXTHON Rocks!

this is what I wanted to hear :D

Maxthon is a nice alternative as firefox in another one :D

don't lock yourself in one direction, being opened minded is what every web devellopers

should be :wub:

cheers

francois

ps; and from what I read, you did not test Maxthon real well ...

did you notice all the options?

did you notice that it's really user friendly as firefox is too ?

did you notice that it's not a ms stuff? exept the look may be...

but there are so many skins that you can use -_-

please try it or/and again and give us an objective report ...

this would be more friendly rather than flame staight like you did ...

it's not a flame, just an objective remark :D

I don't like ms stuffs, but still test the site I build, with IE because of the majority of users.

Edited by francois

hi'

yop, it rocks ... a lot faster than IE :D

a bit slower than netscape, but it's still in beta version, so I guess that we have to be patient a bit more for a real new version non-beta ...

feel free to send report to the devellopers, this will help them a lot :D

thanks for them :o

being a beta tester is only to dare to use beta version and send objective report to the develloper's team ... they all count on anyone's informations :D

it's a freeware, but also feel free to make a donation, this also helps them a lot :D

as you must habe noticed, they ask 15$ only :wub:

cheers

francois

I use both IE6 (laptop) and Firefox (workstation) daily.

I was just reacting to it being based on IE5x and my bad experiences with IE5x bugs. Its not based on IE5x it just runs on top of ur current IE engine whatever that is (IE5,IE5.5,IE6). I have now installed in and like it more than IE6.

So far I like it. :o

BTW. We are opening an office in October in BKK and are looking to fill four positions. If you are a web developer / designer / flash junkie based in BKK (Thai, or forign with work permits) drop me an email and I will send you more details: luke [AT] codegent [DOT] com

hi'

I have now installed in and like it more than IE6.

So far I like it.

alright :D

I do prefer this post than the others :D

yes they use the core engine installed on windows system ... and it's a real good idea :D

this browser ROCKS :D and it's real faster than IE ... not si difficult as IE sucks :o

you see in fact, being open minded is to have the ability to reconsider a point of view, that one is so sure to have it right :wub:

test it, torture it , give reports to the devellopers ... help them, they need us -_-

cheers

francois