Tabula Rasa On My Laptop

mezcal

Hi all you computer geniuses!

I'm having a little trouble with my laptop. It's a dell, ca 4-5years old but in very good condition.

A couple of months ago i got a virus from the pc in my office. A website kept popping up but nothing too serious. I've never been directly connected to the internet and (stupidly) didnt have an antivirus...

Couple of weeks ago the system crashed completely. A frien of mine managed to save all my documents (thanks GOD) but Windows XP was unusable.

As I have the original Windows at home (Italy) I was wondering if I can just go to Panthip for example...give them my laptop and expect them to put a new Windows, thai dictionary, photoshop and antivirus.

Is there anything I should be aware before going? How much do you reckon will it cost me? More or less.

Once Windows has been completely deleted, is there still a possibility that the ###### virus is hiding somewhere else? ...and hit me again??

quick answers are very welcomed as I'm planning to go to BKK soon.

Thanks a lot!!

M

i had my windows re installed at Panthip ground floor on the left handside mr ken's

with extras programs 500 baht and a two hour wait and its genuine windows

Genuine Windows for 500 Baht???????? plus other Programs! Yeah Right..... :o

More like 5000 Baht

Did you get to keep the installation disk, maybe you should go online and check if it is a genuine copy?

i had my windows re installed at Panthip ground floor on the left handside mr ken's

More like 5000 Baht

Did you get to keep the installation disk, maybe you should go online and check if it is a genuine copy?

A quick question...what happens to all the XP home/pro's serial numbers once people have down graded to Vista?

Can they be passed on?

oops, thats two questions.

More like 5000 Baht

he said he had in RE-INSTALLED for 500 Baht. he didnt state that he BOUGHT it there. so most probably he already had a Genuine Windows BEFORE his journey to Pantip....

More like 5000 Baht

More than likely the original Certificate of Authenticity was on the computer. If you install the same version of windows from another disk but use the serial number from your legal COA it is a legal and authentic installation. I have 3 XP installations, all installed from the same disk, but using seperate serial numbers. All pass Genuine Advantage authentication.

You pay for the license to use the software, the cost of the disk is not really a part of it.

Edited by cdnvic

Hi all!

Came back yesterday from Panthip. Found a very small shop on the 2nd floor(room 283) called "Thaicomputer". The guy reinstalled Windows XP and some other useful programs for 400Bt in little more than 1 hr.

So far everything seems to work as it should...lets see what happens when I connect to the Internet...

cheers

M