Retiree Wanting Help Please?

Hi there guys,

Currently I am in the UK organising a non-immigrant visa (no problem there), a 66 year old with health problem etc.

However I don't have a Thai bank account in Samui where I intend to spend a year. Would you imagine that any of the Thai banks with a London office could open a simple account with an ATM card? I dont fancy travelling with a pocket full of cash & opening an a/c on arrival. Any advice orsuggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi there guys,

Currently I am in the UK organising a non-immigrant visa (no problem there), a 66 year old with health problem etc.

However I don't have a Thai bank account in Samui where I intend to spend a year. Would you imagine that any of the Thai banks with a London office could open a simple account with an ATM card? I dont fancy travelling with a pocket full of cash & opening an a/c on arrival. Any advice orsuggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Robert

dont you have a Nationwide flexaccount which allows a ATM card to use ?

Hi there guys,

Cheers,

Robert

Do you plan to obtain a long stay (retirement) extension with 800k in a bank account or 65k monthly income? That money should be transferred by wire transfer if so. In that case sign a wire transfer agreement with your home bank before you travel that will allow you to make transfers after you open an account here.

You will not be able to open an account without being here.

If you are just planning to make visa runs you can use an ATM/debit card to withdraw funds as you need them from just about all ATM machines here if your card is linked to an international clearance system. No need for cash.

Lopburi's advice is important here ...

"In that case sign a wire transfer agreement with your home bank before you travel that will allow you to make transfers after you open an account here."

I could not do a wire transfer because my US bank would not allow

it without first appearing in person at my branch. As I was already

in LOS, I had to deposit a check which took nearly 4 weeks to clear.

This is even though the funds left my US account in 3 days after

the visit to my Thai bank.

Set up the wire transfer or SWIFT agreement before you leave.