Abysmal Service

ElectricNorth

10 days or so ago the girlfriend and I went to the Moon Beautiful in Nakhon Sawan and she ordered the food. I got what was asked for with no problem. The girlfriend asked for Tuna salad. She got a small fish served on a plate.

OK, mistakes happen. The problem was rectified.

Tonight we went to the same place.

My food arrived with no problem, but the girlfriend had ordered fish soup in a bowl. That was not what she got. So, it was sent back and then a bowl arrived some time later filled with prawn soup. That was sent back as it was not what she had ordered.

After some length of time a bowl of fish soup arrived. Luke warm.

This time I beckoned a waiter and he got the message that the food was unacceptable. I did not need to raise my voice. He soon understood the food was warm and not hot.

After a long wait a bowl of fish soup arrived. This time it was hot.

I ate my chicken and salad but the girlfriend hardly touched her food. She says it smelled bad. as if the fish was old :D

I was tempted to get a wee bit p*ssed off by now with the abysmal service but thought the better of it in a restaurant. So, I asked for check bin as I did not want to patronise the place further.

To top it all the bill had 6 buckets of ice on it. 2 extra buckets :o The cost of the ice at 30 Baht total is not a problem but ... grrrrr.

Needless to say we will not be going back to patronise a place like that again and no, I did not give a tip though I was tempted to give a verbal tip or two on service and standards :D

The thought had occurred to me that the problem might be that my Thai girlfriend was with a Farang but we have been to the place before with no problems until the last two visits and have seen other Farang / Thai couples in there.

We will never know if it was simply incompetence or not. But I am suspicious.

OK, rant over. Newcastle drew 2-2 :D

10 days or so ago the girlfriend and I went to the Moon Beautiful in Nakhon Sawan and she ordered the food. I got what was asked for with no problem. The girlfriend asked for Tuna salad. She got a small fish served on a plate.

My food arrived with no problem, but the girlfriend had ordered fish soup in a bowl. That was not what she got. So, it was sent back and then a bowl arrived some time later filled with prawn soup. That was sent back as it was not what she had ordered.

This time I beckoned a waiter and he got the message that the food was unacceptable. I did not need to raise my voice. He soon understood the food was warm and not hot.

I ate my chicken and salad but the girlfriend hardly touched her food. She says it smelled bad. as if the fish was old :D

I was tempted to get a wee bit p*ssed off by now with the abysmal service but thought the better of it in a restaurant. So, I asked for check bin as I did not want to patronise the place further.

To top it all the bill had 6 buckets of ice on it. 2 extra buckets :o The cost of the ice at 30 Baht total is not a problem but ... grrrrr.

Needless to say we will not be going back to patronise a place like that again and no, I did not give a tip though I was tempted to give a verbal tip or two on service and standards :D

The thought had occurred to me that the problem might be that my Thai girlfriend was with a Farang but we have been to the place before with no problems until the last two visits and have seen other Farang / Thai couples in there.

We will never know if it was simply incompetence or not. But I am suspicious

Welcome to Thailand

We will never know if it was simply incompetence or not. But I am suspicious

Welcome to Thailand

tit get used to it after a while

To top it all the bill had 6 buckets of ice on it. 2 extra buckets :D The cost of the ice at 30 Baht total is not a problem but ... grrrrr.

We will never know if it was simply incompetence or not. But I am suspicious.

OK, rant over. Newcastle drew 2-2 :D

That happens in 5 star hotels as well :o

happens sometimes that the cook will give whatever is available by hand - they might be short of exactly your choice. Not acceptable, but if food is good and the price is OK I don't complain - mai pen rai

In some Western society restaurants if you complain about the dish and send it back to the kitchen, the cook does nasty things to the food before returning it to the customer.

Nasty things include spitting into the food, wiping the food with a dirty rag, or in one case, the head chef took the returned undercooked steak and wiped his back side with it before cooking it to the customers' requirements and returning it to the customer.

A returned bowl of fish soup that didn't smell so good....hmmmm...I wonder. :D

:o

Sounds pretty familiar to me. When I go out with a group a friends (Thai)--and they are professionals; they usually keep the wait staff pretty busy sending stuff back and forth. I never have anything to do with it--I usually just have beer and maybe some finger food if any is ordered.

They seem to handle it quite well, but there seems to be several problems--1) language--some of the wait staff don't speak or understand well the same Thai dialect, so what is ordered in the central Thai dialect and what is received from Isan waiter (and cook) aren't what they want. 2) too many people explaining what they want and how they want it. 3) Wait staff that just say "Kha, Kha, Kha" even though they didn't get it. 3) Poorly written menus--sometimes my friends will complain that what they thought it would be is different from what it actually is. 4) Staff with no experience, no training.

I am so used to getting the wrong thing, that I usually either don't order anything or I point at something on another table and say I want that! Of course, for me, a big part of it is language, so I don't complain.