Typical Benefits At A Thai Company

I am interested in finding out what are the typical benefits offered at most Thai firms?

What type of health insurance, retirement, expense accounts and education assistance just to name a few possible things do they generally offer?

If you are currently working for or have worked for a Thai company what benefits do/did you have? Did you have to negotiate for them or are they freely given to all employees?

I am interested in finding out what are the typical benefits offered at most Thai firms?

What type of health insurance, retirement, expense accounts and education assistance just to name a few possible things do they generally offer?

If you are currently working for or have worked for a Thai company what benefits do/did you have? Did you have to negotiate for them or are they freely given to all employees?

No generalization can be made. There is no 'typical' set of benefits offered, and, if anything, you would have to negotiate whatever benefits you could. That said, here is the deal I had:

I spent the better part of a year working for a Thai SME, and there was blanket accident coverage, as well as the Thai Social Security, half of which is paid by the employer and half by the employee. No other health insurance was offered.

I negotiated an additional 7000 for rent/util/internet, and they found and rented an apartment for me before I moved from Isaan.

There was no expense account; in fact, my workers were compensated for overnight trips (meals/hotel), which were frequent, but I, as Engineering Manager, was expected to cover my own.

Education assistance was another rude surprise: the employer was afraid his workers would ask for more money, or move to another company if they received training, and no assistance with outside education was even considered.

Again, there is probably no 'typical' scenario, but I don't believe this attitude toward workers is uncommon.

Of course, as a farang, you have a number of advantages, but you will still be considered chattel by your Thai employers, albeit expensive chattel.

My advice: be prepared to negotiate hard (but politely!), and get everything in writing, including your job description. Document everything, and know that, even as a farang, you are covered by Thai labor laws. This means that if you suspect your job is in jeopardy, DO NOT LET THEM GOAD YOU INTO RESIGNING. Make them fire you, and pay you the severance you are entitled to. I learned this the hard way.

Although it sounds like you are considering working for a larger company, and my experience is with SMEs, I think the principles are the same.

Best of luck.

Sateev

I think Sateev is coreect and just like anywhere there is no typical.

I work at a large MNC in Singapore but our Thai subsudiary offer their staff very good benefits.

Bonus has been running at 3 or 4 months salary per year. They get more holidays than I do. Education is paid for if approved ie MBA's etc. Like most of our offices in Asia (Except singapore) food is laid on daily for them.

Mat leave is not so good though - 45 days inc weekends.