Using A Visa Service For Obtaining Us Visa For Thai National

Hi all,

My wife and I (both farang U.S. citizens) hope to take our female Thai friend back to visit the U.S. with us over the Christmas holidays. We have traveled with our friend many times to many different locations to include Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Cambodia and many places near Thailand.

Each time we were able to eventually get our friend a visa, but always after a great deal of effort and numerous calls and trips to the various consulates (Australia was the hardest followed by Japan).

On our first attempt to get our friend a U.S. visa at the Chiangmai consulate, she was denied. However, at that time her passport was newly issued (empty) and she was without work at that time. She also had the bad luck of being interviewed by an especially arrogant Thai man who obviously was suffering from some painful hemerroidal ailment (likely caused by having something stuck up his a** was my suspicion). Since then she has found stable employment and has many stamps in her passport. She has never worked in a bar and has taken some college classes.

My question is: have you ever used one of the professional visa services that advertise in the local magazines such as CityLife? If so, can you recommend one over another? Did you find the experience helpful or is it just an added expense without much added convenience?

Any seriously intentioned helpful comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Since your personal association with the Thai lady in question is so strong and your interest in her welfare is so obvious, I think much of that "sponsorship" feeling would be lost by using a visa service.

Going with her to obtain her visa, writing appropriate "sponsorship" letters and being available to answer any questions I think would only be a plus.

As her traveling companions, your ties to Thailand only enhances her position, especially when you can swear under oath in your declaration accompanying her application that you have traveled with her to the various places documented in her passport and that she has always returned with you within the visa period.

Keep in mind that it is her/your burden to convince the visa review officer that "she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand" and prior trips where she has done just that, backed up by your sworn testimony, does just that.

My general impression is that visa services success rates are far less than the personal approach I suggest, especially when there is a declarations from two U.S. Citizen traveling companions who have traveled with her before.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

Since your personal association with the Thai lady in question is so strong and your interest in her welfare is so obvious, I think much of that "sponsorship" feeling would be lost by using a visa service.

Going with her to obtain her visa, writing appropriate "sponsorship" letters and being available to answer any questions I think would only be a plus.

As her traveling companions, your ties to Thailand only enhances her position, especially when you can swear under oath in your declaration accompanying her application that you have traveled with her to the various places documented in her passport and that she has always returned with you within the visa period.

Keep in mind that it is her/your burden to convince the visa review officer that "she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand" and prior trips where she has done just that, backed up by your sworn testimony, does just that.

My general impression is that visa services success rates are far less than the personal approach I suggest, especially when there is a declarations from two U.S. Citizen traveling companions who have traveled with her before.

I would bring your passports to show travel on same dates and destinations as in her passports as a paper trail document.

I tried "Siam Legal" paid a considerable sum BEFORE they even did anything, and the application for my GF was refused. My case is a bit complicated to be honest, I'm Swiss my Parents are US citizens, and I'm not married but have lived with my GF for almost 10 years and we run a sucessfull business.

What Siam Legal did for us was to give us a lot of tip's on how to get the paperwork done. But nobody came with us to the consulate and they didn't want their name mentionned there.

We also applied once without any outside help. We brought over 2 Kg of documents with us and my GF was thrown out after 5 minutes.

I understand that it is extremely difficult to get a US visa, for Thai's, no matter how complete your paperwork is. I gather some people have been lucky but most of those I know have been refused. And still paid Bht.4000.-

Maybe you want to visit another country.......

I used Master Class Translation; nearly opposite US consulate to help me get my wife's K-3 visa. They seem pretty good.

It would be worth it to go in there & have a sit down with the manager. Tell him what you have in mind & see what they tell you.

Good Luck.

I went through this process last year with my Thai wife applying for a tourist visa to the United States. Visa agencies can do nothing to help, except fill out the paperwork and offer advise. All information is readily availalble on the Embassy Website. Agencies that help with US visas are a waste of money. If you read all the information on the Embassy website about applying for a visa, they clearly advise you on everything you need to know. If you go into an interview and act like you were coached, you will very likely be denied.

One misconception that I am reading in this thread is that the person (Thai) applying for the US visa can be accompanied to the interview. This is not true (at least not in my case last year). I was clearly not allowed to accompany my wife or be present during her scheduled inteview at the US Consul in Chiang Mai. She had to appear, present her case, and answer questions alone during her two interviews. First one was with a Thai and the second was with an officer of the US Consul.

Another misconception is this notion that an American citizen can officially vouch for, or give guarantee to a Thai who is applying for a visa. This is not true. The US Embassy does not accept or recognize a guarantee from anyone. Each Thai applicant stands on his or her own credentials and documentation.

Best advise is to fill out all required paperwork and supply as much backup documentation to prove your story (strong ties to Thailand) as possible. Be honest. Be honest. Be honest. Advise not to rehearse, and most importantly do not lie.

BTW. My wife was granted a multi-entry tourist visa that is valid for 10 years.

Best of Luck

Hi Sig, not sure if you and your wife live here in Thailand or not, but that made a difference in my getting a tourist visa for my fiance. In my opinion, do it yourself and do plenty of due diligence and preparation. Have her take an English interview, if possible with an American, and go with her. It's basically a sales job; you need to give them and tell them what they need.

You can read the details of my story here

Good luck...hope to see you in the states for the holidays!

Cheers,

tweezer

Hi all,

My wife and I (both farang U.S. citizens) hope to take our female Thai friend back to visit the U.S. with us over the Christmas holidays. We have traveled with our friend many times to many different locations to include Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Cambodia and many places near Thailand.

Each time we were able to eventually get our friend a visa, but always after a great deal of effort and numerous calls and trips to the various consulates (Australia was the hardest followed by Japan).

On our first attempt to get our friend a U.S. visa at the Chiangmai consulate, she was denied. However, at that time her passport was newly issued (empty) and she was without work at that time. She also had the bad luck of being interviewed by an especially arrogant Thai man who obviously was suffering from some painful hemerroidal ailment (likely caused by having something stuck up his a** was my suspicion). Since then she has found stable employment and has many stamps in her passport. She has never worked in a bar and has taken some college classes.

My question is: have you ever used one of the professional visa services that advertise in the local magazines such as CityLife? If so, can you recommend one over another? Did you find the experience helpful or is it just an added expense without much added convenience?

Any seriously intentioned helpful comments are welcomed. Thanks.