Prepaid Calling Plan: 1-2 Call S U C K S

Kf6vci

Hi Folks, I only made 1 call for 1 minute, so they must have charge for incoming calls. Since the balance is used up. Or the shop sold me a partially used SIM...

Is my summary correct that this particular type of plan is plain stupid to use? ** All I need is to get incoming calls. *** And if anybody knows a cheap plan for the U.S. to call a Thai mobile phone, please share the 1010 number. Thanks a lot! Chris [email protected]

Unless it's changed drastically since I was on 1-2-Call, they do not charge for incoming calls. Did your time expire? The amount of value you add to your number expires in a certain number of days if it is not used or refilled.

For me, 1-2-Call has been a fantastic way to have a mobile phone in Thailand.

The best place I know of to buy a SIM card is at any of the Jay-Marts right inside every BTS station. Last price I heard was 400-Baht. When you install the SIM (and sometimes the Jay-Marts people will help if you don't know how) it automatically registers on the AIS network and you get 100-Baht credit and 30-days of service.

To extend your service time and/or air time (for calling only - incoming calls are free) you have to buy more "Plus-Up" cards, also available at Jay-Marts.

The SIMS you buy should be inside a sealed package, and should be found within a credit-card sized "punch-out" card. In other words, your SIM should not be simply a loose chip - otherwise you run some risk that it has been partially used.

As someone noted, it does sound like your initial time of service has run out. Has it been 30 days? Or someone sold you a partially used SIM card.

It's important with the 1-2-Call product to know how to get your remaining balance and time of service remaining. I think this is explained to you by SMS when you first initialize a new SIM card.

kenk3z

Also, to call Thailand from the US, I use phone cards bought online at the following place:

www.thaiconnector.com

No problems so far. I used to use the Megatel Asia card and have also had one of the "higher quality" BKT cards (Call 2 Bangkok) capable of fax transmission. They worked well. Megatel Asia seems to have been discontinued, so I just got another card supposedly customized for good rates to call mobiles in Thailand. Will let you know how it does, its called the "Enjoy Mobile" card.

Most phone cards are sold at face value but ThaiConnector usually has a discount.

Carefully consider the varying cost factors: 1 minute vs 3 minute charge rounding, connect fees, weekly or bi-weekly charges, tax included in rate quote or not, time limit on using the card, etc.

Looks like the Enjoy Mobile card is refillable which adds six months of lifetime to the card. But I haven't used it yet so can't recommend it in terms of quality.

The cheaper the card the more likely the circuit quality is poor or you have to call several times (with charges applied) to get connected.

Hope this helps,

kenk3z

Based on just one call so far, I can report the "Enjoy Mobile" phone card provided a good quality connection. There's some element of chance involved in getting a good connection, depending on the many circuits used - but at least its good so far. Better than any other card I've tried so far except the highest quality BKT card.

I have no affiliation with the seller and if you find a better price for these cards let me know. :o

kenk3z