Fags And Grog Up

Maejo Man

Govt raises alcohol, cigarette taxes

(BangkokPost today) - The government agreed on Tuesday to increase alcohol and cigarette taxes to lower consumption.Price of locally-made liquor is raised nine to 12 baht per bottle while that of locally-made cigarette is raised by one to two baht a pack. Price of imported cigarettes, meanwhile, is increased about two to three baht a pack.

The increased taxes are effective immediately.

Another stunning display of wisdom! Prices up to curb comsumption? I have always found that people only have a certain amount to spend on luxuries, and that by raising the price of one of them will result in fewer purchases of something else. :o

The Thai government has finally caught onto the great cash cow of taxing booze and fags in the name of public health.

Bucking fullsh1t! It's a great source of revenue that is cheered on by the health nut do-gooders. Expect an annual repeat performance, the western government have been on this particular gravy train for decades.

Coming from the UK and having lived in a fair amount of countries i'd have to say we top the bill for over-pricing and milking the 'high price for your health' gig. I don't know, it may hurt a fair bit and leave us with nowt at the end of the day but at least the feeling of being financially raped everyday quells the loneliness; i mean, at least you always know someone won't forget you.

A great quote i found on the net from a western journalist working in BKK after the bloody coups of 73 and 76. I have to paraphrase.

"The government here are always looking for the enemy, always looking for someone to put the blame on, whether it be communists or foreign invaders. When the real criminals can easily be found anywhere, they drive around BKK in air-con Mercerdez."

A great quote i found on the net from a western journalist working in BKK after the bloody coups of 73 and 76. I have to paraphrase.

"The government here are always looking for the enemy, always looking for someone to put the blame on, whether it be communists or foreign invaders. When the real criminals can easily be found anywhere, they drive around BKK in air-con Mercerdez."

I think it must have lost something in your paraphrasing :o

If the untrustworthy governments of the world were to use the sin taxes to pay for the price that those sins (smoking cigarettes, drinking booze) inflict upon the national treasuries, that would be more than fair and just.

But please, the phrase 'smoking fags' means something different in Thailand!!