Tourist Scams

UnknownPoster

Scams, scams and more scams.

They always tell the travelers the Temple is Closed etc. and then try to scam them.

It happens all day, every day!

I wrote the TAT regarding the Tuk Tuk guys on my Soi, scamming tourists.

The TAT rep told me to call the Tourist Police, so I did.

The Tourist Police asked me to call the Police, so I did.

The Police said they had to catch them comitting a crime so they did nothing.

The tourists on my Soi continue to get cheated every day by these guys, but nothing can be done?

Tourist Assistance Center TAC.

If you see sombody being cheated, write to this address and report the reply here please.

Tourist scams in Thailand; http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=thailand+...ss&ei=UTF-8

Thailands reputation is getting around and is killing the tourist industry.

Too bad, but they get what they deserve I suppose for not protecting the visitors.

Edited by endure
Email address removed as per forum rules.

People get scammed because they get greedy. Thats what the scammers rely on. The old addage that "if something seems to good to be true then it normally is" is well worth remembering whenever you are travelling. Dont become another statistic. :o

NEWSFLASH!!!! Tourists all over the world get scammed, it does not only happen here.

The tourists on my Soi continue to get cheated every day by these guys, but nothing can be done?

Tourist Assistance Center TAC.

If you see sombody being cheated, write to this address and report the reply here please.

Well. you stand by and do nothing, why don't you tell the tourists?

Edited by endure
Email address removed as per forum rules

People get scammed because they get greedy. Thats what the scammers rely on. The old addage that "if something seems to good to be true then it normally is" is well worth remembering whenever you are travelling. Dont become another statistic.

Not necessarily true, Dunc. Tourists get scammed because they are tourists. They may be visiting Thailand for the first or second time and are used to people in the tourism and hospitality industry in their home country telling them the truth and not trying to rip them off. Add to that the fact tourists have to mentally convert their home currency into Thai baht and you have another problem.

The first time I got into a tuk-tuk in Bangkok, I was told the fare from the hotel to Pantip Plaza was 400 baht. If I had not done my homework - I could have considered this the correct price. Unfortunately - nothing seems to have changed in the last 8 years that I have been coming to Thailand. And - this has probably been going on since the first US serviceman arrived for R & R over 25 years ago - if not longer!

It doesn't say much for the Tourism Authority of Thailand - the Police - the Government - anybody in authority.

Peter

People get scammed because they get greedy. Thats what the scammers rely on. The old addage that "if something seems to good to be true then it normally is" is well worth remembering whenever you are travelling. Dont become another statistic. :o

Not all scams are about people being greedy - yes I agree with you it's often the case with say the jewellery sale scam but there are a lot of other niggly little scams that go on where the person being scammed is not thinking he is gaining any financial advantage.

Happens in nearly all countries with a tourist industry - its how the rule of law is enforced to deal with it though that is one of the main differences.

A bit tough Mr Hippo. The OP has followed the chain of command and ben fobbed off each time. He is posting on this Forum in the hope that potential Thailand tourists will read it and be warned.

Peter

Let"s compare the Tourist industry to Farming.

Two very important industries in Thailand. The Thai people depend on this.

If parasites invade your farm, do you tell the plants they should be carefull or they deserve to be eaten because they are stupid?

I'm a farmer and we declare war on the pests the moment we see them.

thai tourism aint hurting coz of thai scams. los fun aspects surely outweigh the negativism of scams. people who get taken in los will get taken anywhere.

thailands reputation worldwide has nothing (little) to do with scams. people rarely ask me if i was ripped off by took took driver.....lol. or why is national temple always closed.....lol.

Edited by blizzard

A bit tough Mr Hippo. The OP has followed the chain of command and ben fobbed off each time. He is posting on this Forum in the hope that potential Thailand tourists will read it and be warned.

Peter

No. I don't feel that I am being 'a bit tough'. Some people say that 'Mr Hippo doesn't suffer fools gladly', they are wrong, I don't suffer them at all! Now how long have we had the internet? How long have we had guide books? If people cannot get, or do not have sufficient intelligence to get, basic information about where they are going.......

Not necessarily true, Dunc. Tourists get scammed because they are tourists. They may be visiting Thailand for the first or second time and are used to people in the tourism and hospitality industry in their home country telling them the truth and not trying to rip them off. Add to that the fact tourists have to mentally convert their home currency into Thai baht and you have another problem. 55555555555 No tourists scams in Australia?

Peter

Edited by mr_hippo

Mr Hippo: I conceed 1 point ... Japanese tourists being charged $20 to WALK on Bondi Beach (Sydney, Australia). As for expensive tuk-tuks, I know their drivers work long hours - but often park on the footpath outside a hotel - and pay the hotel for the privilege of hotel staff directing their guests to certain tuk-tuks. The hotel staff KNOW the tuk-tuk driver will grossly over-charge their guest - but do not care - because they (the hotel staffer) is getting a kickback.

Peter

There is a lineup of Taxis and Tuk Tuks outside every tourist hotel. Their sole intention is to cheat the new visitors.

Go ahead, ask them for a ride. They won't take you as they are only there to cheat tourists.

This is OK ?

no it is not. But until hotel owners get it into their head that what they are doing is bad for business, they'll let it continue.

Suggest you target them instead, as there has been more success in this area.

Peter

Dont you know that Mr. Hippo replies like that anytime he reads "scam" He must have his computer on scam alert! Maybe Mr. Hippo is a scam?

I still stand by what I said. Most of the stories in the link involve " tourists " buying gems to make a big fat profit on. Not because they like the piece of jewelry. Its only when they get back home and get the jewelry valued they realise they have been scammed. This is different to being just charged a tourist price even if its more expensive than it should be. Also this happens the world over not just in Thailand. A lot of holiday makers seem to switch off their brains when on holiday. Think before you part with your hard earned cash!!!!! :o

Crime pays they say. We need to find Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson. The Thai police can't be much more effective than police in Iraq or Afghanistan. When the police force is culled of the lazy and corrupt, Thailand will begin to move on to better days.

happens all over the world

I love this. Just because something bad that happens in Thailand, also happens in other countries, as soon as someone complains / mentions / tries to inform etc, people jump on the old "it happens in other countries too stop picking on Thailand" etc etc.

Classic.

Maybe if there was a RestoftheworldVisa.com then that's where people could post gripes about tourist scams in other countries, but since this is Thailand (with an undeniable and unenviable record on the subject) why wouldn't they post here?!!!!!!

NEWSFLASH!!!! Tourists all over the world get scammed, it does not only happen here.

snip

apologies in advance 'mr_hippo' , I'm using your post as an example for a general plea .....................

THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER ,

we are in Thailand , talking about Thai conditions on a Thai centric forum ,

YES , it happens in other places ,

This FACT doesn't automatically excuse or condone the action in question

rant off

mid

Many years ago I was walking with a friend through the main souk in Marrakesh when our nice friendly 'guide', who of course had been introducing us to all his friends in the carpet trade, was grabbed by both arms by two burly Moroccan Police and frog marched him away saying he was a 'bad man'. In response to 'happens all over the world', yes it does. But can you honestly see the Thai Police doing the same here?

Many years ago I was walking with a friend through the main souk in Marrakesh when our nice friendly 'guide', who of course had been introducing us to all his friends in the carpet trade, was grabbed by both arms by two burly Moroccan Police and frog marched him away saying he was a 'bad man'. In response to 'happens all over the world', yes it does. But can you honestly see the Thai Police doing the same here?

Exactly - its how the rule of law is applied (or not as it seems).

Transparency, corruption and rule of law - etc etc all add in to Transparency International's Index

It would be nice if the govt. did something about some of the scams. The taxis in particular are annoying. Things could be better and safer, but honestly people also need to take some self-responsibility!

I met some guys who had paid for suits in BKK that would be delivered to them "later" in their home country -- yeah ok, maybe on saville row, but in thailand? Do you think they ever got those suits?

Some people reply to those spam emails from Nigeria. No amount of making things safe for people like that will really help, IMHO.

I did think it was pretty funny when a tuk-tuk driver told me "the river was closed" when I asked him in which direction the river taxi was. :o

Although I consider myself reasonably well travelled and have lived in several other countries, im embarrassed to confess i fell for a classic scam when i first arrived in Thailand.

Below in italics is the story. So skip it if you can be bothered reading, it is, after all, a very typical scam experience:

Walking toward The Golden Palace I was stopped by a well dressed, well spoken Thai man(speaking in English), who asked if I needed any help. I politely replied no, but as he seemed friendly and I was eager to engage with Thai people, we talked for a little while. He told me things like he was a retired English Teachers etc, at one point in our discussion he told me that the Palace was shut until the afternoon because there was a ceremony for monks that morning. He told me things like he is glad Farang come to Thailand and he likes to help tourists and enjoys conversation. He really was quite charming.

He advised me it would be easy to arrange a tour of some Wats via a Tuk Tuk, as well as other places of interest including a big sale at a famous taylors (yes ok ok, i was really that dumb and naive to it all, that I had not twigged at that point either.) (Plus there were no tuk tuks waiting about). He also told me to only use TAT registered tuk tuks and when one was 'passing' us, he waved it down. He spoke to the driver in Thai on my behalf and when the driver said a price the Thai man laughed and said a much lower price and told me. I agreed. At that point I really did feel a helpful refined Thai man had helped me out as a novice to his country.

The tuk tuk ride was my first, and I was enjoying to tour. The second wat he took me to, I met a man who was also extremely good with English, who told me he had been a student in the UK and was now helping the monks. We had a nice conversation and he then asked me where i was going and i told him about the recommendations I had been given. He agreed they were good choices and echoed that the taylor was indeed very famous and it was a unique opportunity. I really wasnt so interested in having something made..but i considered maybe I would buy something simple for my Aunt as a gift from the renowned taylor, esp after being told twice how great a taylor it was.

When I arrived at the taylors I suddenly had a (far too delayed) awakening, that things really werent quite right. Something clicked in my head that I had read up about this before in Rough Guide. I mused with the assistant over fabric but then said i would consider it and get back to them later if i decided to buy, and after a bit of heckling he let me go with notible distain.

By this point i was finally wised-up and feeling a bit stupid. So when the driver wanted to stop by a jewelery shop I refused. Then he began telling me that he needs to go to the jewelery shop as he gets some kind of 'voucher' (or something) to hand into the TAT office for his petrol, and if he doesnt take me he will have no petrol for the tuk tuk. When I pressed him for details on why TAT would do this and told him the agreed price should cover his petrol, he gave a bizarre story involving his family. But finally he got fed up with my questions and drove on to my final destination. My 'friendly' tuk tuk driver expression changed to a scowl and when we arrived at the destination he just held out his hand and wouldnt look at me. I handed him his money and as I was trying to say something, he just snatched it and continued ignoring me. He got on his mobile... I presume to the man who I first spoke to and I left feeling a little deflated, and a bit disgusted, but a lot wiser.

Now, some of you may have little tolerance for naivety thats for sure, and i really hope you never get caught short on that judgement. That first experience of Thailand left a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth, but put it down to lack of judgement and experience and moved on. I was also very surprised and annoyed at myself at how easily I was roped in (as I really believed I was more cynical and clued-up than this). I also think a less travelled, even MORE naive person can be scammed VERY easily by the Thai charm. If you think that this is OK and that its the travellers fault then I hope it never happens to one of your own. I would esp hate to see some little old man or lady conned out of savings by a fast talking Thai because they feel they are making a wise investment of some sort.

Tbh I think its rather appauling to brush off these scams as one of those things that can happen anywhere.

people are getting scammed and they dont even know it. last week i was in a tailors shop in sukhumvit talking to the owner. in comes loves young dream with his teerak in tow, before the guy can say anything the girl tells him she would get him thai price for his clothes. she then tells the owner to jack 20% onto the price as her commission, and not to worry as the farang was paying. i nearly spat out my beer when dozy tells me arent thai women great after he has been measured up and paid a deposit. the owner told me if he didnt agree the girl would just go to another tailor shop after telling the farang that this shop was too expensive only want to rip off farang, so he just agrees.the farang would have got a better deal if he had carried out the transaction himself.

i watched another dreamer who also had his teerak in tow, he was wanting to buy some wood carving or something like that. his teerak gets 2000 baht off him and tells him to walk on a bit as she would get thai price. she pays 1,200 baht, sticks 500 baht in her pocket, then gives the farang his purchase and 300 baht and tells him she only paid 1,700 baht.

and so it goes on and on, i dont have the inclanation or time just now to type any more scams.

I have talked to many people who visited Thailand who, while they enjoyed their holiday, went home with a very negative view of Thai people.

Of course they never met any regular Thai people. The people you come in contact with as a tourist are people, like Tuk Tuk drivers and the vendors they bring you to, trying to rip you off.

It's a shame, but in Thailand if something is lucrative corruption will stop it from being shut down.

I agree, it"s all well and good for expats or seasoned travellers to claim "let the buyer beware", however Thailand is not a tourist backwash, it is a major destination. Those that get scammed go home with the same stories of rip-offs, and re-inforcing the Thai reputation, which I'm sorry, is not a good one.

We all know the scams are allowed to continue, even though the powers that be, could shut a lot down if interested. Why? Probably because funds are making there way up the chain.

I recall a post asking if you were proud of your Thai girlfriend. My ex-wife was half Chinese and whilst living o/s she always claimed to be Chinese as she (not me) was acutely emabarrassed by Thai reputations. When my half Thai children grow up I suspect I know what nationality they will claim. Yes, toursists should be careful, but don't any Thais care what a deplorable worldwide reputation this coutry has, and one that they consciencesly alloww to continue?

The scammers deserve something really bad in my opinion. They do nothing for this society.

Thailand's sickness is the Thai police (all of them top to bottom) Until they are cleaned up in corruption will always be king here.

Nailed it!

Some of the scams have been going for so long that it's obvious the boys in brown are getting their share and will never do anything about it unless it's widely exposed.

Refoooooorm!

Edited by Tony Clifton