Teaching Salary Vs Qualifications

Eastender

I've taught English part time in BKK and was earning 250 to 300 Baht per hour. And from what I hear a state school teacher could expect around 25k to 30k per month. As I'm now back in the UK and studying for a degree (at age 40+ with the O.U.) I wonder how I could improve my future earning potential in Thailand. e.g.

What teaching jobs pay higher than state schools and what qualifications are needed for these?

Would a Diploma in English help if combined with my science weighted degree?

Would an honours degree give any advantgae whatsoever over a standard degree?

Thanks,

Robin.

Other than the International schools, it's kind of a lottery about pay. Where I work, for example, a Master's won't get you any more money than a BA, but experience will. The director says, we don't need a Master's degree, so she doesn't pay for one.

Technically, you need a BA. Doesn't matter what it's in. At our school, which is Bilingual, we have subject teachers, so foreign teachers teach science, social studies, English Language, PE, Math etc.

Best of luck to you.

I've taught English part time in BKK and was earning 250 to 300 Baht per hour. And from what I hear a state school teacher could expect around 25k to 30k per month. As I'm now back in the UK and studying for a degree (at age 40+ with the O.U.) I wonder how I could improve my future earning potential in Thailand. e.g.

What teaching jobs pay higher than state schools and what qualifications are needed for these?

Would a Diploma in English help if combined with my science weighted degree?

Would an honours degree give any advantgae whatsoever over a standard degree?

Thanks,

Robin.

I think you can do your PGCE at the OU.

As a qualified teacher as opposed to the BA with TEFL I am sure you have more opportunities to earn more than a paper boy's salary and can get a job at an international school rather than a mickey mouse language or Thai school.

A friend is currently teaching at a private international school in Bangkok, earning about 120,000 Baht a month. He has had several years teaching experience in Thailand. How I understand it, having a teaching certificate from USA (I'd presume also UK, Australia, etc.) was what allowed him to command such a high salary.

Currently I am teaching in USA, working toward earning a Master's as well as what is locally called an 'Advanced Professional Certificate." I was told that it is portable, which means I could take it with me to any of the 50 states, as well, it is recognized internationally. Perhaps this, along with the teaching experience required to earn it, might be a great advantage in negotiating salary.

Edited by farangjai

Reciprocity of teaching certificates in US is between approximately only 35 states, not all 50 and holds very little weight in Thailand. Even with current unexpired teaching certificates from two different states, I am told that you still need a Thai teaching certificate from the Thai Ministry of Education to teach here legally, which usually requires the sponsorship of a school willing to process your Non Immigrant B paperwork, and teaching application and ultimately the requests for your work permit.

I have a BA and MA in Education (the second from a very good university with excellent grades) and they still asked for a letter from the undergraduate school saying I completed a teacher training program. As others have said, a BA in anything and a credible ESL certification will eventually get you a Thai teaching credential.

My expensive, hard earned with sweat and tears MA has not gotten me a dime more money and I only make 50000 baht a month plus free housing at an International School in Central Thailand. What got me that salary, was none of the above-mentioned, but a Montessori teaching diploma, which is fairly rare here.

Still, when I look around at job openings in more desirable locations in Thailand, they all ask for a CELTA or good TESOL qualification, so decades of teaching experience does not count, without that piece of paper. I plan to obtain an ESL qualification, soon, but expect that I may use that as a tool to travel to a country that requires less red tape and less stress about visas.

For better or worse, Thailand is the great equalizer. A BA/BS and a TEFL will get you a decent job. An MA, a foreign teaching license and a couple of decades of teaching experience MIGHT get you a better job, but quite possibly not. :o

Edited by otherstuff1957