Can't Make My Computer Talk To My Modem

seonai

I've just signed up for broadband and have changed the modem twice and the ethernet cable twice but can't get my computer to recognise that the modem is there. In Network Connections it still says 'a network cable is unplugged' even when it's plugged in and the ethernet light on the modem is off. It used to work fine. Any suggestions please I'm going crazy!!!

Guest Reimar
I've just signed up for broadband and have changed the modem twice and the ethernet cable twice but can't get my computer to recognise that the modem is there. In Network Connections it still says 'a network cable is unplugged' even when it's plugged in and the ethernet light on the modem is off. It used to work fine. Any suggestions please I'm going crazy!!!

If the modem is directly connected to the PC, may you need to use a "cross" cable. If is connected via a switch or the modem has a built-in switch than it's a straight cable.

You checked the settings of the modem as well? Username, password pp.? Which Modem, Brand and Model? Which Service Provider ISP?

If your not getting the little green lite on the network card then ether xover cable is needed or cables are bad. I had a bad one that worked in ToT installers PC but not mine. If you have a PC shop around have them test it with cable tester made for J45. and tag a xover cable to test that option with so it doesn't get mixed with other cables. You may even have xover cables and thats why they don't work. sort them out an tag them, have a few spares 1 m cable around 30baht. Plug someones laptop in and see if that works.

Dumb question, the modem is powered on isn't it??? There's usually a power light of some description.

Otherwise sounds like a dead cable or possibly a dead network card in your PC. Have you tried with another PC?

Thanks so far guys. Yes the modem does light up and check for send and receive functions and all that's fine it tells me it's ready to go and the power light is on too. It's just the ###### cable that goes to the computer, I've bought two now and still no luck. I'll take your advice and take it into a shop. It's amazing how these things can drive you nuts :o