A Pissed Off Thai Guy

snowflake

What happens when you have the unfortunate episode of getting a very vindictive Thai guy pissed off...

Should you leave town and hope he will not follow you?

Should you stand up and fight it (police, mafia, friends, embassy)

Should you never have started in the first place?

Have anyone here ever gotten a Thai so pissed off that you feared for your life?

A guy here in town did that the other day. I don't know him but I do know that Thai guy (would not mess with him, since he has got money and power)

Now my dillemma here is that I do not know the farang, should I help him... (people that knows me would know that I dont care)... and just wish him good luck...

I have seen the Thai guy angry before but never this angry, I think that someone really pissed him off...

What should the foreigner do and what should I do?

:o

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What should you do? Probably can't do anything other than give the farang advice. Thai chap is unlikely to listen to any reason. If the Thai has power, money, influence etc., it is extremely unlikely the police will do anything but help him; might even take the problem off his hands!

From what I understand, it was a very stupid situation to get oneself into in the first place. Overall, best advice would be to get out of town, at least 300 or 400 km away. Very unlikely for the Thai to follow for the perceived offence that was committed.

What happens when you have the unfortunate episode of getting a very vindictive Thai guy pissed off...

Make amends. Or live looking over your shoulder.

Should you stand up and fight it (police, mafia, friends, embassy)

Pride is not much good if you're dead.

Depends if your ego is more important than your life.

What should the foreigner do and what should I do?

If I were the foreigner I'd try to make amends through a respected intemediary. Or accept that my inaction will very likely significantly change the quality or course of my life.

For you - are you being asked for help? How much do you want to be involved? You've said you don't really know the farang, so if you've given him your advice is there much else you can do?

markwhite Posted Today, 2007-08-30 15:17:52

If I were the foreigner I'd try to make amends through a respected intemediary. Or accept that my inaction will very likely significantly change the quality or course of my life.

I may be wrong here but my understanding is that the two parties have already spoken and the Thai chap refused the apology! :o

Amazing how these little people strike fear into people, most of them are all talk. Not knowing the details it is hard to know who is at fault, but running away is never the answer. Tell him to stand his ground, he will feel better for it. If the Thai guy actally does anything, then make him wish he hadn't.

One on one in a fair fight and shake hands, mmm, dosent work that way in thailand im afraid, first thing id do if i was in the wrong was apolagise,.it usually works if sincere, and he will be able to tell,.if not and you wont back dowm suffer the consiquences, unlike farang that jump up and down screaming "im going to kill you " the thais just act and usually when you least suspect it, .it can all become a nightmare real quick,.

Without knowing the specifics, it's difficult to say, but it sounds like this guy had better get the F*** out of Dodge.

Many years ago, I got into a verbal battle with a motorcycle taxi driver near where I lived. It wasn't anything major or particularly serious, but I did piss him off. It was the last time I got a motorcycle taxi from that queue! The guys were rather polite to me, but would always shake their head and I got to walk to the main road to work. Long after the original guy had left, the word had gone on and years later, I was still banned!

It was a valuable lesson, I learned to keep my mouth shut. (I also ended up having to buy a motorbike to get around on)!

As a very general rule, Thais are not people that you want to be angry with you. I wouldn't mess with him. It doesn't matter too much if he has power and money or if he's poor with friends.

Being dead surely won't help matters.
Very dramatic all this, so come on, what did he do that was so bad it might get him topped?

Trust what you might consider trivial becomes quite deadly with Thai(s). I remember a lad got blown away for pouring whiskey wrong. In the end this isn't about faireness - its a Thai lad getting his back for loss of face. I don't know the circumstances, but if the lad didnt accept the apology, sounds like he is looking to do something bad.

Amazing how these little people strike fear into people, most of them are all talk. Not knowing the details it is hard to know who is at fault, but running away is never the answer. Tell him to stand his ground, he will feel better for it. If the Thai guy actally does anything, then make him wish he hadn't.

agreed! these type of guys generally are a bunch of big-mouthed cowards! if you back down it will just be the beginning. show them you are tougher than them, and eventually you gain respect. i had thai "friends" recommend to me that i back down over an issue that had an entire isaan village turn against me. told them to tell the guy who had made the death threats to come try carry them out. nothing happened, and today i am respected by them for my stand. nobody likes a weakling, and a bully only gets away with it as long as he thinks you fear him.

forget the bull about "you are only a guest here etc etc." if you are in thailand legally ,you have every right to be treated with respect, and if you don't get it, showing fear will only get you less.

frikkie

palm Posted Today, 2007-08-31 13:56:33

Sheesh - are you guys Men or Mice?

When it comes down to a confrontation in Nakhon with a guy who almost always has a gun on him? I am a mouse! :o This is exactly the situation that gets most people who are shot down here in trouble. It is a daily problem in this town. He would not be the first farang to be killed on the spur of the moment in a confrontation here. Simply not worth the risk, I like life! Many Thai here stand their ground and are not bothered if they kill someone. I have had three of my students father's gunned down and killed in the last few years!

agreed! these type of guys generally are a bunch of big-mouthed cowards! if you back down it will just be the beginning. show them you are tougher than them, and eventually you gain respect. i had thai "friends" recommend to me that i back down over an issue that had an entire isaan village turn against me. told them to tell the guy who had made the death threats to come try carry them out. nothing happened, and today i am respected by them for my stand. nobody likes a weakling, and a bully only gets away with it as long as he thinks you fear him.

forget the bull about "you are only a guest here etc etc." if you are in thailand legally ,you have every right to be treated with respect, and if you don't get it, showing fear will only get you less.

frikkie

Quite right, if you plan to stay there you have to show these fools you won't be intimidated. I am willing to bet he doesn't have the spude to carry out threats. A real man just does it and doesn't talk about it, if this joker was serious he would have acted by now. Typical Thai posturing.

Amazing how these little people strike fear into people, most of them are all talk. Not knowing the details it is hard to know who is at fault, but running away is never the answer. Tell him to stand his ground, he will feel better for it. If the Thai guy actally [sic] does anything, then make him wish he hadn't.....Quite right, if you plan to stay there you have to show these fools you won't be intimidated. I am willing to bet he doesn't have the spude to carry out threats. A real man just does it and doesn't talk about it, if this joker was serious he would have acted by now. Typical Thai posturing.

Spoken like a newbie farang, ignorant of the host culture. Just blow in from Texas on a tumbleweed, Ole' Cowboy? :o

With that "Big Dude John Wayne" posturing, hope you smuggled your own six-shooter in wit' ya. Cuz here in LOS, only the criminals have guns. Even worse than the American Wild West. You'll soon find out. Good luck on your next own confrontation in the I.S. (Inscrutable Orient)*.

*I.S. to only the ethnocentric.

Edited by toptuan

Funny this, reading all the posts from have a go heros,. heres the real deal, you may, and i mean may have a go and come out on top and it will all be forgot,( unlikely ).do any of you remember a couple of years ago when two farang were having breakfast in a cafe in pattaya when a thai walked and and was slapping the owner about, .these two farang thought ( as most of us would ) that he was being bullied and pulled the guy off and sent him on his way, 15 minutes later the thai returns and shoots the 2 farang killing one of them, ,We are not at home here and the thai way is exactly that, the thai way,.one on one ill have a go if its a last resort,. but i would weigh up the situation and think about the consiquences,. i have a family that would like me around a bit longer and i owe it to them to control my temper,..in thailand do not take a knife to a gunfight.

Edited by mikethevigoman

Amazing how these little people strike fear into people, most of them are all talk. Not knowing the details it is hard to know who is at fault, but running away is never the answer. Tell him to stand his ground, he will feel better for it. If the Thai guy actally [sic] does anything, then make him wish he hadn't.....Quite right, if you plan to stay there you have to show these fools you won't be intimidated. I am willing to bet he doesn't have the spude to carry out threats. A real man just does it and doesn't talk about it, if this joker was serious he would have acted by now. Typical Thai posturing.

Spoken like a newbie farang, ignorant of the host culture. Just blow in from Texas on a tumbleweed, Ole' Cowboy? :o

With that "Big Dude John Wayne" posturing, hope you smuggled your own six-shooter in wit' ya. Cuz here in LOS, only the criminals have guns. Even worse than the American Wild West. You'll soon find out. Good luck on your next own confrontation in the I.S. (Inscrutable Orient)*.

*I.S. to only the ethnocentric.

Well you are wrong on all counts, newbie farang :D And I am from the UK smart bloke. :D Ignorant of host culture indeed,I hope one day I will be as all knowing as you :D

If the Thai guy is very vindicative by nature and pissed off by circumstances, then the second question is irrelevant.

Try to pass a message on to him : LEAVE TOWN YESTERDAY !

And DON"T get involved in any way.

Edited by adjan jb