If Taxes And Duties Weren't A Problem, What Car Would Be Good To Bring To Thailand?

submaniac

Yes I know, I have read these boards and whenever anyone asks "how do I bring in my...such and such" the chorus replies in unison "don't...it's not worth it." I am a Thai national living in the states and my uncle wanted me to buy and bring in an H2 hummer to him in Thailand. Apparently he has found some loophole for Thai citizens who live abroad, and who have owned a car for a certain number of years to import ONE personal car only, either without tax and duties, or significantly reduced rates. Also being a business man with sufficient "means" to be thinking about importing a Hummer, he also has "sufficient contacts" to "grease the necessary wheels" to make things happen. Ummm..."the Thai way". Anyways without getting into the legalities of it all (and please do not ask because I am really not at liberty to discuss whom to talk to and how to do it because I simply do not want to burn my connections by having a bunch of random people asking)...what other cars would be good to bring in? I guess in terms of both "profitability" and simply being a "cool car" to have in this country. Give me some ideas of what else I could potentially bring in. My uncle wants a hummer, and my mom is probably going to get it in for him. I just don't know what Iwould want. Thanks.

I do know about this loophole and it sounds like your uncle has it set up in advance. The bad news is that you are allowed one car if you can grease the right wheels. A second car....good luck on that.

That aside, I would look at the high end Porsches, particularly that porsche SUV, cant remember the name off the top of my head. The high end Italian cars are good sellers but for my money, I would definitely look at the new VW Bently, a real joy. If you can get a second car in with no trouble, any of those would sell fast fast and for premium dollars.

If those are a stretch on the budget, you might look at the Escalade or Navigator, I think either of those would be a winner.

It's funny that Thailand has no special taxes on importing airplanes or boats, just the 7% VAT, lower than most of our home countries. Yet few farang import boats or planes even though Thailand is a wonderful place for boating and flying. I've imported a small plane 3 years ago (Zenair CH701) and currently importing a boat. I'm not sure if people really would bring in all that many cars even if the taxes were reduced. Anyway, regarding your post, I'd bring in a big V8 engine pickup truck to tow the boat and a airconditioned recreational vehicle to tour Thailand. Cars a car to me, I've owned to many of them in my time.

Quite a few people are now bringing in boats (and I am looking at microlights) but I think its the fact that car prices are soo much higher in the local market and boats etc are not.. Thats where the motivation comes in.

To the OP if bringing something from the US wont you have the problems of LHD ?? Better buy a UK or Japanese RHD model no ??

As to the loophole, heard of it, known a Thai who tried it, and failed !! Tho of course it all depends on the grease.

I agree the Hummer is just too big for Bangkok roads and parking lots, especially considering the steering wheel will be on the wrong side. A Corvette would be great- unique, gobs of power, and the type of vehicle that would normally be killed with taxes due to the engine size. The problem there would be servicing. My rather boring and practical suggestion would be a Porsche as it's popular, is reliable, can be serviced in Thailand, and there's enough demand that resale shouldn't be too difficult.

As many here know I did bring my Supra into Thailand,

Lost it at the port due to 3 different prices rises from customs.

I have tried to find out where it is now as it is sure to have been bought and sold by a high ranking customs official.

If anyone has seen a dark metallic blue Uk Toyota Supra let me know, as I would dearly love to buy it back.

The Uk model is the only one to have MPH and Kph on the speedometre.

Mike.

Edited by tuktukmike

Pretty much any convertible holds it's value pretty well (or i'd even say very well) in Thailand -- Even though nobody actually ever opens the top!!!

Look at the Boxster... used is selling at new prices since the prices went up!

In the Saab circle, converts are worth 2x their non-topless counterparts.

The SLK and the SL hold their value well as do the Porsche Cabriolets.

I'd go drop-top over the Hummer... you can't expect to drive that into a shopping mall parking lot with ease.... Plus it's just, well, "oobaht."

Edited by teejay

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. Your giving me some real food for thought here. :o Just as a little background (and why LHD and U.S. cars) it's due to the regulations that I am talking about. For Thai nationals abroad, the regs go that if a car is over 10 years old and you've owned it for 5 years, then you "should" be able to bring it in without taxes. If the car is newer, and you have owned it for less than 5 years, you do get a reduced rate (for one car only). The reason "should" is in quotations marks is...well, when did Thai government officials ever give a ###### what the law says? (Hence "grease".)

The car MUST be registered in the country you reside prior to import, you must demonstrate proof that you owned it, and you must have a license to drive in that country. Hence, I am stuck with U.S. cars. A RHD from Japan or England, would be nice here, BUT I would have to get a license from that country, register it in that country, and then store it for a few years before I can ship w/reduced tax rate. So I'm stuck with U.S. cars. My uncle (BTW the air conditioner that you are using right now, there is a good chance he manufactured ;-) ) was toying with the idea of giving us (actually my mother, his sister) the money for a hummer, and having us drive it around for 3 years for the tax rate to go down before shipping over. Of course I would be more than happy to "keep it warm for him", but then again I doubt I would drive it much 'cuz I would be the one to have to pay for the gas.

I was toying with the idea of bringing in my old Alfa Romeo spider that got me through college, and law school. It's over 10 years old and I've owned it for over 5 years. Then I remembered the reason I am not driving it around is that I got sick of it breaking down in the states. I had a difficult enough time finding a repair shop over there, I don't even want to think about trying to find a mechanic here.

As for the Hummer, uncle states his "purported" reason for wanting the hummer is to tow heavy equipment (he has a couple of orchards in the South). I say "purported" reason is that I know he just likes the car and wants to scream "I am a rich bastard" to his also rich friends. (We all know how Thai society works....)

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. Your giving me some real food for thought here. :o Just as a little background (and why LHD and U.S. cars) it's due to the regulations that I am talking about. For Thai nationals abroad, the regs go that if a car is over 10 years old and you've owned it for 5 years, then you "should" be able to bring it in without taxes. If the car is newer, and you have owned it for less than 5 years, you do get a reduced rate (for one car only). The reason "should" is in quotations marks is...well, when did Thai government officials ever give a ###### what the law says? (Hence "grease".)

The car MUST be registered in the country you reside prior to import, you must demonstrate proof that you owned it, and you must have a license to drive in that country. Hence, I am stuck with U.S. cars. A RHD from Japan or England, would be nice here, BUT I would have to get a license from that country, register it in that country, and then store it for a few years before I can ship w/reduced tax rate. So I'm stuck with U.S. cars. My uncle (BTW the air conditioner that you are using right now, there is a good chance he manufactured ;-) ) was toying with the idea of giving us (actually my mother, his sister) the money for a hummer, and having us drive it around for 3 years for the tax rate to go down before shipping over. Of course I would be more than happy to "keep it warm for him", but then again I doubt I would drive it much 'cuz I would be the one to have to pay for the gas.

I was toying with the idea of bringing in my old Alfa Romeo spider that got me through college, and law school. It's over 10 years old and I've owned it for over 5 years. Then I remembered the reason I am not driving it around is that I got sick of it breaking down in the states. I had a difficult enough time finding a repair shop over there, I don't even want to think about trying to find a mechanic here.

As for the Hummer, uncle states his "purported" reason for wanting the hummer is to tow heavy equipment (he has a couple of orchards in the South). I say "purported" reason is that I know he just likes the car and wants to scream "I am a rich bastard" to his also rich friends. (We all know how Thai society works....)

You Trolling ?

Owns a major air con company , orchids down south , ????

Reckon he could afford the 5/10 mill in the showrroms.

Hi folks,

You Trolling ?

You dont get rich spending your own money..

Hi folks,

You Trolling ?

First off, do you know what 'trolling' is? That's when you make a post or comment just to incite people. Which is not what I did in my OP, but what you are doing now. This particular forum is not exactly such a 'hotbed' of activity that anyone who would really want to troll, would want to come here. Secondly, it never crossed your mind that there was quite a bit of background information here, including information on the Thai regulations in question which were confirmed as existing by other posters. Finally, your comments are just plain stupid. Yes, he could easily afford the '5/10 million' in showrooms. But, this post must be fake because no one in their right mind would want to save $200,000 when they don't need to. Yes, who would be stupid enough to try and save money, when they don't have to and can easily afford it. Like when I bought my Rolex, I decided against going to the dealer who offered to give me a 10% discount, 'because I could afford it'.

N47HAN, you are quite obnoxious. It is exactly the type of arrogant Farang like you which really irritates me and why alot of Thai people wouldn't mind seeing guys like you go back to wherever you came from. Obviously this post must be fake because there is no Thai that could possibly afford such an expensive vehicle, unlike the wealthy farang that you are. All Thai people are poor and stupid. It is not possible that any Thai could be wealthier than yourself. Air conditioning manufacturing. No. That would mean a stupid Thai has more money than you. Orchards in the South (Pattani)? Nope. Once again, that would mean some Thai has more assets than you. Yes, yes, I have read your posts about how you have such a fabulous company making 50 million baht a year just by yourself. A guy like you just has to tell the world how fabulously wealthy you are. I have seen you come and go so many times. A guy washed up in his own country. Couldn't make it in business, couldn't find a woman to spit on him. Come to Thailand, and you think you are the King. You probably rent a room and are scraping enough money to buy a used Honda wave so you can impress the whore you picked up at Nana Plaza. And everywhere you go you have to tell people what a big success you are.

He was just asking if the OP was serious, or if that misterious buyer was serious.

I wouldn't call it trolling, but the guy is clearly fixated on Hammer, he just needs a confirmation or publicly accepted justification.

In this case it doesn't look very serious.

I also agree that being rich doesn't mean you won't pass on an opportunity to save a few million baht in taxes (that's how he probably got rich in the first place).

Anyway, there's no Hammer substitution yet. Lexus RX simply doesn't cut it. On the other hand I can't see Hammer parking at Emporium. Could be ok at Paragon, though.

I asked myself the same question and for me the perfect car in Thailand - if no import taxes would have spoiled the picture - would have been:

AUDI A 6 ALLROAD with the V6 TDI 3.0 Turbo diesel engine.

Unfortunately, this car is not imported and even the "normal" A6 quattro Avant with the 3.0 l TDI Diesel engine is no longer officially imported.

The Allroad would be perfect her with the off-road capabilities, the adjustable hight level and the powerful 3.0 l TDI Diesel engine. The car is roomy and (in my experience) very reliable. (I used to own an S6, an S6 Avant and finally and RS6 Avant. Sadly had to sell them when I moved to Thailand).

Hi folks,

You Trolling ?

First off, do you know what 'trolling' is? That's when you make a post or comment just to incite people. Which is not what I did in my OP, but what you are doing now. This particular forum is not exactly such a 'hotbed' of activity that anyone who would really want to troll, would want to come here. Secondly, it never crossed your mind that there was quite a bit of background information here, including information on the Thai regulations in question which were confirmed as existing by other posters. Finally, your comments are just plain stupid. Yes, he could easily afford the '5/10 million' in showrooms. But, this post must be fake because no one in their right mind would want to save $200,000 when they don't need to. Yes, who would be stupid enough to try and save money, when they don't have to and can easily afford it. Like when I bought my Rolex, I decided against going to the dealer who offered to give me a 10% discount, 'because I could afford it'.

N47HAN, you are quite obnoxious. It is exactly the type of arrogant Farang like you which really irritates me and why alot of Thai people wouldn't mind seeing guys like you go back to wherever you came from. Obviously this post must be fake because there is no Thai that could possibly afford such an expensive vehicle, unlike the wealthy farang that you are. All Thai people are poor and stupid. It is not possible that any Thai could be wealthier than yourself. Air conditioning manufacturing. No. That would mean a stupid Thai has more money than you. Orchards in the South (Pattani)? Nope. Once again, that would mean some Thai has more assets than you. Yes, yes, I have read your posts about how you have such a fabulous company making 50 million baht a year just by yourself. A guy like you just has to tell the world how fabulously wealthy you are. I have seen you come and go so many times. A guy washed up in his own country. Couldn't make it in business, couldn't find a woman to spit on him. Come to Thailand, and you think you are the King. You probably rent a room and are scraping enough money to buy a used Honda wave so you can impress the whore you picked up at Nana Plaza. And everywhere you go you have to tell people what a big success you are.

Wow, love the come back,Good On You.

Hi folks,

You Trolling ?

Submaniac, when I read your opening post I thought it was a thinly vailed boast about a) your wealth and :D your social standing within the Thai community.

I had a little chuckle to myself and let it pass.

However, your vicous (and somewhat racist) tirade against someone who politely questioned your motives shows you for what you are. The "Rolex" comment was so transparent as to be laughable. If you wish to impress "farang" with your wealth, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to find somewhere more appropriate to do it. Try using fewer assumptions and generalisations in future, Good luck with your mucky import.

Don't hold back dude :D:D

Back to cars :D

For "showing off" effect, whilst still retaining some class (so no gold plated hummer :D ) - I would get a new Bentley limo or Rolls Royce limo. A bullet proof version (just for show, hopefully! - but always a 2nd hand market for an (unused!) bullet proof vehicle)..........of course driving it yourself looks kinda stupid...........so for the ultimate one upmanship use a FARANG Chauffeur :bah: From what I can gather they can be picked up quite cheaply in Thailand, you would be amazed what one would do for the chance of a work permit / long visa :o

In Response to the Ops question:

I’ve had a few cars here and now drive a MkIII Range Rover I personally like it because I can use the Mercedes SLK next to me as an ashtray at the traffic lights, especially after Miss Khun Nai or Mr PooYai have tried to Run Mr Kee-nock farang off his Honda wave for lowering the countries image. Oh, but I don’t like Rolex’s try a Frank Muller watch, it helps Balance the chip on ones shoulder against ‘inferior farang’.

OK – Seriously then….I know people will comment that the RR is too big but its not, it really is the easiest car I’ve driven in Bangkok. Very comfortable, with ease driving about town, parking, and on the express ways and country roads, it’s quite fast too but it also gulps fuel.

Other Options:

Alfa Romeo Brera – Beautiful car.

Any Porsche.

New Nissan Skyline (if / when it comes out in the states).

Bently GT continental.

BMW M6 / M5

Mercedes AMG models i.e. CL / SL / ML