Divorce Papers

My wifes mother wants to marry an old feller here in Perth WA and he's been told that he needs to have her divorce papers handy. Trouble is she was divorced over 30 years ago and has lost them. She "thinks" she knows where they are, but as she is here and isn't going back until November we've been trying to send all manner of relatives to her village shack to try to find them to no avail. She obviously hid them quite well. Our only recourse was to track down her ex-husband, who of course is in debt and wants $2000 to hand them over.

Is there SOME way around this? A 30 year rule? The local amphur and village leader doesn't seem to know..let alone the constant thai translated back and forth between relatives is confusing me further.

Looks like it will be cheaper to send her back to find them herself...

any advice would be appreciated !

thanks

As she is returning in a couple of months time an option will be to file a police report in Thailand stating the papers were lost. The report is cheap, maybe 25 Baht or so. Take the report to the Umphur where she was married/divorced and ask for replacement certificates to be issued. They will issue certified replacement copies of the original for a minimal charge, about 10 or 20 baht per copy.

My wifes mother wants to marry an old feller here in Perth WA and he's been told that he needs to have her divorce papers handy. Trouble is she was divorced over 30 years ago and has lost them. She "thinks" she knows where they are, but as she is here and isn't going back until November we've been trying to send all manner of relatives to her village shack to try to find them to no avail. She obviously hid them quite well. Our only recourse was to track down her ex-husband, who of course is in debt and wants $2000 to hand them over.

Is there SOME way around this? A 30 year rule? The local amphur and village leader doesn't seem to know..let alone the constant thai translated back and forth between relatives is confusing me further.

thanks

Was the divorce done by mutual consent at the local Amphur, or by a judge at a court if it was a contested or MIA type divorce?

Several years ago I was asked to help out in the search for a divorce record at the Prakanong District Office there about Sukumvit Soi 50+.  I had the names and the year, didn't have the month.  Still the clerks (not the Nai Amphur!) were helpful and started pulling out several ledgers for that year.  They found the record and made an official copy of it, all nicely chopped and signed off.  For FREE, yet.

Seems to me a court record would be even easier.

What upcountry (I assume) amphur did the divorce take place?  Might be a TV member who lives in that area who could help out and check.

Mac

As she is returning in a couple of months time an option will be to file a police report in Thailand stating the papers were lost. The report is cheap, maybe 25 Baht or so. Take the report to the Umphur where she was married/divorced and ask for replacement certificates to be issued. They will issue certified replacement copies of the original for a minimal charge, about 10 or 20 baht per copy.

the problem is she is marrying quite soon within the month ...is there some way for someone else to do this? Her other daughter who lives there perhaps?

the problem is she is marrying quite soon within the month ...is there some way for someone else to do this? Her other daughter who lives there perhaps?

Maybe thanyaburimac knows the answer for that. I only have experience in replacing my own papers.

thanks

Was the divorce done by mutual consent at the local Amphur, or by a judge at a court if it was a contested or MIA type divorce?

Several years ago I was asked to help out in the search for a divorce record at the Prakanong District Office there about Sukumvit Soi 50+. I had the names and the year, didn't have the month. Still the clerks (not the Nai Amphur!) were helpful and started pulling out several ledgers for that year. They found the record and made an official copy of it, all nicely chopped and signed off. For FREE, yet.

What upcountry (I assume) amphur did the divorce take place? Might be a TV member who lives in that area who could help out and check.

Mac

i'm pretty sure it was mutual consent - contacting the ex-husband looks like it's been a last resort kinda thing

it happened in Buriram ban Prasat i think!

thanks

Several years ago I was asked to help out in the search for a divorce record at the Prakanong District Office there about Sukumvit Soi 50+. I had the names and the year, didn't have the month. Still the clerks (not the Nai Amphur!) were helpful and started pulling out several ledgers for that year. They found the record and made an official copy of it, all nicely chopped and signed off. For FREE, yet.

What upcountry (I assume) amphur did the divorce take place? Might be a TV member who lives in that area who could help out and check.

Mac

i'm pretty sure it was mutual consent - contacting the ex-husband looks like it's been a last resort kinda thing

it happened in Buriram ban Prasat i think!

"ban Prasat?"  OK, that's the village, but what amphur is it in?  Here's the amphur listing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buriram_Province

Amphoe King Amphoe

Mueang Buriram

Khu Mueang

Krasang

Nang Rong

Nong Ki

Lahan Sai

Prakhon Chai

Ban Kruat

Phutthaisong

Lam Plai Mat

Satuek Pakham

Na Pho

Nong Hong

Phlapphla Chai

Huai Rat

Non Suwan

Chamni

Ban Mai Chaiyaphot

Non Din Daeng

Chaloem Phra Kiat¹

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

"ban Prasat?" OK, that's the village, but what amphur is it in? Here's the amphur listing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buriram_Province

Amphoe King Amphoe

Mueang Buriram

Khu Mueang

Krasang

Nang Rong

Nong Ki

Lahan Sai

Prakhon Chai

Ban Kruat

Phutthaisong

Lam Plai Mat

Satuek Pakham

Na Pho

Nong Hong

Phlapphla Chai

Huai Rat

Non Suwan

Chamni

Ban Mai Chaiyaphot

Non Din Daeng

Chaloem Phra Kiat¹

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

i'm pretty sure it's Ban Dan - it's been a few years :o

As it seems rather urgent, I’d be inclined to take a chance and ask the daughter to make a trip to the Umphur. If she explains the situation of her mother being out of the country they may give her a copy.

A quick phonecall from the MIL to her daughter mentioning dates and actual Umphur office will assist locating the document. There is a Sub-District office in Ban Dan, just confirm the divorce took place there.

You may be lucky. From thanyaburimac’s post it appears possible for others to obtain copies.

As it seems rather urgent, I’d be inclined to take a chance and ask the daughter to make a trip to the Umphur. If she explains the situation of her mother being out of the country they may give her a copy.

A quick phonecall from the MIL to her daughter mentioning dates and actual Umphur office will assist locating the document. There is a Sub-District office in Ban Dan, just confirm the divorce took place there.

You may be lucky. From thanyaburimac’s post it appears possible for others to obtain copies.

ok thanks guys, problem resolved - looks like we pay through the olfactory system because of certain relatives laziness. Ahh well.

:o