Carrefour - How Do You Pronounce It?

Westerner

I say it to myself as carrer-four.. Correctly it's had to describe as the French r sound doesn't exist in English and is unlike any othe language's r..

I will remember to say it as car-foo when in Thailand.. Car-faw might mean something rude..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to pronounce 'onomatopoeia', please do as Wilko has already said - spell the word properly -

onomatopoeia

I have had no problems with my French pronunciation, maybe it's because I was taught by a Welshman!

Carrefour is still pronounced 'catfood' in my house

It was nice of you to point out the correct spelling of "onomatopoeia", but you may be surprised to learn that it is usually spoken as onomat-a-poeia rather than as spelt onomat-o-poeia. This is probably because it rolls off the tongue easier with an 'a' sound.

As you probably know, spelling in English is not a good guide to pronunciation.

it is quite amusing to learn about the huge problems my fellow TV-members have to deal with on a daily basis. excellent examples are the scientific explanations how the name of a cockroach-ridden supermarket should be pronounced.

:o

If you want to pronounce 'onomatopoeia', please do as Wilko has already said - spell the word properly -

onomatopoeia

I have had no problems with my French pronunciation, maybe it's because I was taught by a Welshman!

Carrefour is still pronounced 'catfood' in my house

It was nice of you to point out the correct spelling of "onomatopoeia", but you may be surprised to learn that it is usually spoken as onomat-a-poeia rather than as spelt onomat-o-poeia. This is probably because it rolls off the tongue easier with an 'a' sound.

As you probably know, spelling in English is not a good guide to pronunciation.

I have possibly forgot more English than you know. I have corrected the spelling but if you want me to correct your erroneous pronunciation then it will cost you and I am not cheap. :o

I say it to myself as carrer-four.. Correctly it's had to describe as the French r sound doesn't exist in English and is unlike any othe language's r..

I will remember to say it as car-foo when in Thailand.. Car-faw might mean something rude..

If you go to certain towns in Lancashire N.E. England you will find there are many places where the "r" is pronounced exactly as in France.

I have possibly forgot more English than you know. I have corrected the spelling but if you want me to correct your erroneous pronunciation then it will cost you and I am not cheap. :o

Sorry, I didn't know you were such an expert on English pronunciation and spelling. I shall bear this in mind whenever you post on such subjects. :D

Edited by tropo

If you go to certain towns in Lancashire N.E. England you will find there are many places where the "r" is pronounced exactly as in France.

If you go to certain towns in the west midlands they say "that cowin' big place roun' the back o Bill's mothers"