Stolen Belongings

dragonmaster

lately a Friend returning Stateside from Thailand where he had been to visit his ailing Mom, opened his checked luggage to find that an envelope he had inside containing Thai Buddha's had been cut opened and 4 of them had been removed. I find this quite disturbing seeing how this individual was a Thai Monk. Just goes to prove that no one can be trusted once your luggage is out of your eye sight.

Sorry to hear of the losss, BUT...

Surely this isn't the first time travelling. Doesn't he have the sense of protecting his valuable "personal" belongings. He should have handcarried them to/from destination.

You say, 4 of them were missing, were there more??? Doesn't make sense, why didn't the thief just take the whole envelope?

At least he learned something from this, at least I hope so.

When u check in at a US airport now adays, aleast the last few times I travel in or out of country. They ask if the bag is locked, and recommend you unlock it as security may what to open it and inspect it, if its locked they may damage the lock when they force it. Lately when I travel through the US, when I get to my destination I notice a small piece of paper in my bag from Home Land Security saying they have opened and inspected my bag. I can't for the life of me understand why my bag stands out and they have to search it.

I have been traveling world wide for over thirty years, never have I lock my bag, Never have I had anything stolen, on a few rare occasions I can tell someone has gone through the bag, But then again I dont put anything of value in my bag.

I have been traveling world wide for over thirty years, never have I lock my bag, Never have I had anything stolen, on a few rare occasions I can tell someone has gone through the bag, But then again I dont put anything of value in my bag.

Maybe you are just lucky. I know we are always told (by members of this Forum) never to put valuables inside checked-in luggage - but we should be able to. If somebody broke into your house and stole property - you would report them and (hopefully) the police would try and catch the culprits.

With all the airport taxes and charges which we pay for when we fly - there should be closed circuit TV watching luggage from check-in to when it is placed into the hold of an aircraft - and that system should be monitored. If a baggage handler is stealing from luggage - he needs to be made an example of.

Peter

I have been traveling world wide for over thirty years, never have I lock my bag, Never have I had anything stolen, on a few rare occasions I can tell someone has gone through the bag, But then again I dont put anything of value in my bag.

Maybe you are just lucky. I know we are always told (by members of this Forum) never to put valuables inside checked-in luggage

Peter

Or maybe the people that allegedly have items stolen are unlucky.

I have made many flights throughout Europe, The Middle East and Far East and have never had my luggage tampered with.

There have been numerous reports of items being stolen from checked baggage in Thailand on this forum. But as far as I can recall not one of those who psoted have said what the outcome was after they reported it, I stand to be corrected.

Surely it is ilegal to export Buddha-images ?
maybe the Buddha images were confiscated because taking such religious items outside the country without a permit is illegal. what is the relevance of your friend being a monk...would it have been less of a dastardly deed if the victim was a layperson?

Or perhaps the OP is just full of "sheet"

Surely it would have been a lot easier and quicker to take the envelope.

Was the bag securely locked.

Did your "friend" report the theft to the airline.

For flights to the U.S. American owned carriers recommend that you do not lock your bags. They say if you put a lock on your bag they may cut it off for inspection. This is not correct, they leave the cheap 20 baht brass lock form China untouched and simply rip your zipper apart! After around 3 times I stopped using locks on bags when I fly to the U.S.

I do use the little plastic electricians ties where I would use a lock. So far so good - nothing missing even without any lock on the bag. And so far the plastic ties have always been intact - SO FAR!

Keep valuables with you at your seat when flying, using a bus or even on a train.

Okeydokey.

maybe the Buddha images were confiscated because taking such religious items outside the country without a permit is illegal. what is the relevance of your friend being a monk...would it have been less of a dastardly deed if the victim was a layperson?

I beleive practicing Buddhist's are exempt from that rule and so as a monk he would be

For flights to the U.S. American owned carriers recommend that you do not lock your bags. They say if you put a lock on your bag they may cut it off for inspection. This is not correct, they leave the cheap 20 baht brass lock form China untouched and simply rip your zipper apart! After around 3 times I stopped using locks on bags when I fly to the U.S.

I do use the little plastic electricians ties where I would use a lock. So far so good - nothing missing even without any lock on the bag. And so far the plastic ties have always been intact - SO FAR!

Keep valuables with you at your seat when flying, using a bus or even on a train.

Okeydokey.

Buy a TSA ( Transportation Safety Administration, the folks that search baggage in the US) approved lock. A TSA employee has the master key and they won't rip your baggage apart. You can buy them on a certain famous online auction for a few dollars. They even have full straps that go around the case through the handle for suitcases without lock hasps.

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

I beleive practicing Buddhist's are exempt from that rule and so as a monk he would be

I believe you are only partially correct:

From IATA (including spelling errors):

Export regulations:

Free export of tobacco products and/or tobacco: any quantity.

Prohibited (without licence):

1. Antique or objects of art, whether offically registered as art or not;

2. Religious articles (excluding one small Buddha image normally carried on person).

Sophon

Okeydokey.

I also use the plastic wire ties, handy stuff. A thief can still get into your bag but at least you'll know that someone did open it.

FYI, I use colored wire ties rather than the common semi white ones, figuring that a thief might have their own replacements to use after opening your bag.

Even saw extra plain wire ties on the check-in counter at Nok Air's place at Don Muang a couple weeks ago, thanks Nok Air, good customer service.

Mac

I believe you are only partially correct:

From IATA (including spelling errors):

Export regulations:

Free export of tobacco products and/or tobacco: any quantity.

Prohibited (without licence):

1. Antique or objects of art, whether offically registered as art or not;

2. Religious articles (excluding one small Buddha image normally carried on person).

Sophon

Quite correct. And I add;

No doubt the OP was respectful of the laws and regulations in this matter and made the appropriate declaration, especially since it was for a monk. I'm sure he would not have wanted to offend the monk by giving him religious items that were impure, i.e. obtained by inappropriate means. Right?