Crispy Onion Rings Recipe

Jet Gorgon

The next time you feel ambitious, try this one. It may take a few times to perfect it, but it's worth the effort

Bloomin Onion

Serves 2 to 4 as an appetizer or snack

• Dipping Sauce
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Dash ground black pepper
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • The Onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 11/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 giant Spanish onion (3/4 pound or more)
  • Vegetable oil for frying pepper

1. Prepare the dipping sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Keep the sauce covered in your refrigerator until needed.
  2. Beat the egg and combine it with the milk in a medium bowl big enough to hold the onion.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, peppers, oregano, thyme, and cumin.
  4. Now it's time to slice the onion-this is the trickiest step. First slice 3/4 inch to 1 inch off the top and bottom of the onion. Remove the papery skin. Use a thin knife to cut a 1-inch diameter core out of the middle of the onion. Now use a very sharp, large knife to slice the onion several times down the center to create the "petals" of the completed onion. First slice through the center of the onion to about three-fourths of the way down. Turn the onion 90 degrees and slice it again in an "x" across the first slice. Keep slicing the sections in half, very carefully, until you've cut the onion 16 times. Do not cut down to the bottom. The last 8 slices are a little hairy, just use a steady hand and don't worry if your onion doesn't look like a perfect flower. It'll still taste good.
  5. Spread the "petals" of the onion apart. The onion sections tend to stick together, so you'll want to separate them to make coating easier.
  6. Dip the onion in the milk mixture, and then coat it liberally with the dry ingredients. Again separate the "petals" and sprinkle the dry coating between them. Once you're sure the onion is well-coated, dip it back into the wet mixture and into the dry coating again. This double dipping makes sure you have a well- coated onion because some of the coating tends to wash off when you fry. Let the onion rest in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes while you get the oil ready.
  7. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350 degrees. Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion when it fries.
  8. Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns brown.
  9. When the onion has browned, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack or paper towels.
  10. Open the onion wider from the center so that you can put a small dish of the dipping sauce in the center. You may also use plain ketchup.

And if you do this.....

post-13660-1188782536_thumb.jpg

it should look like this.....

post-13660-1188782649.jpg

IMHO, you need a commercial fryer to do the bloomin onion or you end up with a grease soaked baseball, as most folks at home don't have a fryer or even stove and thick pan that can fry it properly. Best to stay with a more traditional ring type recipe as first listed. You can do the bloomin version with a very heave large pan and a lot of heat under it, but then you also have to filter your oil quickly or it will scorch from all the coating left in it. They are a pain to do without the right equipment and taste terrible if not done properly. Just my 2 cents.

IMHO, you need a commercial fryer to do the bloomin onion or you end up with a grease soaked baseball, as most folks at home don't have a fryer or even stove and thick pan that can fry it properly. Best to stay with a more traditional ring type recipe as first listed. You can do the bloomin version with a very heave large pan and a lot of heat under it, but then you also have to filter your oil quickly or it will scorch from all the coating left in it. They are a pain to do without the right equipment and taste terrible if not done properly. Just my 2 cents.

I was not going to divulge it, but here it goes.....world's best recipe: ingredients: 1 big onion...slice thick or thin....up to you, flour, buttermilk or milk, salt

First: put the sliced onions in flour and dust them off (tap together to remove excess flour)

Second: put the sliced floured onions in buttermilk (milk will do) and leave for 10 minutes or more

Third: put the onions back into flour (again, tap together to remove excess flour)

Fourth: put them in oil (careful not to burn them.........just light golden brown)

Fifth: drain them on towel to remove oil and dust with little salt

It was posted as a recipe for those who would like to try it, not as an edict.

onion ring wars...only by falangs and only on thaivisa... :o

hey...now, back at the ranch in Suphan an' I got some ribs marinating in the fridge...tutsi's contrubution to the local cuisine...I was down the market with niece Pah who is now 17 y.o. and a beautiful young woman...I sized up the offering and said 'gis us 2 kilos ob dat'...Pah, she sez 'sure ye don't wanna make it 3 kilos?'...I bought the lot...'Pah...yer uncle tutsi's back is hurtin' again; gis us a back rub when we get home?' :D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I tried the "blooming onion" many years ago when I was still in UK. Unfortunately, despite a number of attempts, I could not get it right. That's when I progressed/digressed to onion bhajis.

I tried the "blooming onion" many years ago when I was still in UK. Unfortunately, despite a number of attempts, I could not get it right. That's when I progressed/digressed to onion bhajis.

bhajis???...we ain't got no bhajis...we doan got to show you no stinkin' bhajis!!!

Yes, what is bhaji please?

This is an onion one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...25416&st=75

There are a number of others. Basically they are served before Indian meals as appetisers.

bhajis?...quite nice, I must add...always get a dozen from the curry house in the UK with the takeaway...

the preparation is a bit complicated and garam flour is almost impossible to come by in Thailand (sumone said that there is an indian spice shop near Suk?) but, when successful, an absolute delight...

(the culinary police: 'ye look like yer enjoying yer food too much there, pal...'...tutsi: '"pal", yer ass...where is yer bhaji???!!!...')

Yes, what is bhaji please?

This is an onion one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...25416&st=75

There are a number of others. Basically they are served before Indian meals as appetisers.

That's a great recipe, Jayenram, as if your beef stew with yoghurt and lime juice. I'm gonna resurrect that thread. Thanks.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

That's a great recipe, Jayenram, as if your beef stew with yoghurt and lime juice. I'm gonna resurrect that thread. Thanks.

If you go to my site (www.freebeerforyorky.com), load in the Scoville Scale or Herbs and Spices, there's a recipe site link at the bottom of the page (your-recipe) which has many of my recipes in.

The GRANEX variety of onion is available in Khon Kaen produce markets:

sweet onion Notes: These onions are mild and crisp, so they're the onions of choice for slicing raw on burgers and sandwiches. They can be lightly cooked, too, though they're not as pungent and flavorful as storage onions. There are several different varieties, often named after the region in which they're grown. The most popular include Vidalia, Walla Walla, Sweet Imperial, Texas Spring Sweet, Texas 1015Y, Carzalia Sweet, Oso Sweet, Arizona, GRANEX, and Maui.

They're usually available from March through August, though some producers extend the season by storing them in a low-oxygen environment. Sweet onions are usually larger than storage onions. They also have a higher water content, so they don't keep as well. Substitutes: Spanish onion (This isn't as sweet, so consider adding up to one tablespoon of sugar per onion to the recipe.) OR Bermuda onion (This isn't as sweet, so consider adding up to one tablespoon of sugar per onion to the recipe.) OR red onion OR bulbs of green onions

just look for the flattened sides versus the very round onions -- great for deep-fried onion rings... I dice and them bake them in a toaster oven with Cajun spice for a home-made non-pickle relish... An onion lover's dream versus prices in the USA. However, for anyone interested in the downside of using imported seed varieties:

Impacts of the Trade Liberalization under the Agreement on Agriculture of The WTO

A Case Study of Onion

http://www.aprnet.org/index.php?a=show&amp...ournals&i=4

the preparation is a bit complicated and garam flour is almost impossible to come by in Thailand.

Although it's not quite authentic, I substitute tempora flour for gram flour. Very little difference in the finished product.

tempura flour is an excellent suggestion as it is more available in Thailand...but ye gotta be careful with that stuff; when it dries on the kitchen counter it takes dynamite to remove it... :D

(tutsi to the ex-wife: 'ye ain't usin' that stuff unless yer prepared to clean up after...' the irish, ginger haired ex-wife dumps the packet on tutsi's heid...'clean up this, ye bastid...' :D:D:D ...later to have wild sex fer the next 2 days...I hate emotional falang women... :o )

Edited by tutsiwarrior

^ Thanks, PPman, now we know what to get Buckwheat for xmas.

tempura flour is an excellent suggestion as it is more available in Thailand...but ye gotta be careful with that stuff; when it dries on the kitchen counter it takes dynamite to remove it... :o

555, ya, goes right along with spilled instant coffee.