2nd Road Overpass To The Avenue?

piker

From the Lek Hotel entrance on 2nd road/Soi 12 to The Avenue (new shopping/restaurant/movie plaza), one must tempt fate by attempting to cross life threatening 2nd road.

Anyone heard anything more definite than the rumors of an overpass being built?

Heard a rumour that the building (formerly the Cowboy Bar) at the top of Soi Yamoto is to be the start of the bridge this side of 2nd road...........the building was leased by an unknown outfit over a year ago who shut the bar down and it has stood derelict ever since.

The same outfit also leased the ajoining 3 shop houses running down Yamoto and they too have stood empty since.

Don't have one at Big C and they need one more than any place. However think we are stuck with dodging traffic for the time being. :o

No matter how bad the traffic, pedestrian overpasses are a huge waste of money, apart from becoming an eyesore. Few people enjoy the prospect of climbing stairs in order to cross a road and I don't think many would use it. I wouldn't.

Any engineers here? :o

I'm curious if the overpass wouldn't be too steep (hard on some old farts' legs) in order to accommodate the large buses and trucks??

It's irrelevant whether the pedestrian is an old fart or not. It's just human nature to be lazy, and unless they put extensive pedestrian gates (barriers) on both sides of the overpass I'll bet you that hardly any people will use them, other than some spritely non-old-farts such as yourself of course. :D

There's only one solution: An overpass for the cars, similar to Ramkhamhaeng Road in Bangkok. Only big projects can accumulate big money....you know what I mean? :o

Another solution would be for the OP to brush up on his road crossing skills. I've never really considered the roads in Pattaya that difficult to cross...patience is the key.

Any engineers here? :o

I'm curious if the overpass wouldn't be too steep (hard on some old farts' legs) in order to accommodate the large buses and trucks??

It's irrelevant whether the pedestrian is an old fart or not. It's just human nature to be lazy, and unless they put extensive pedestrian gates (barriers) on both sides of the overpass I'll bet you that hardly any people will use them, other than some spritely non-old-farts such as yourself of course. :D

In BangNa - there is a pedestrian footbridge serving the people who want to cross the BN-Trat Expressway (ground-floor level) that is old and tatty and absolutely crowded. No-one in their right mind crosses that road at street level. If it is there, peole will use it.

With regard to height, etc., it would be normal to have a clear height of 4.50m for all normal traffic, although I did build a 4.20m clearance bridge and a stupid driver got his truck stuck under it! Clearly marked with height clearance, but he didn't know his own truck. So we let his tyres down, towed him out and sent him on his way.

Underpass is not on, without efficient pumps for when it rains, or to start it inside buildings on either side. And it would close down Second Road for months.

There is a Belgian company that makes very good steel footbridges - only disruption to traffic is one night, while they drop on the cross-bridge.

But think of the number of farangs that can jump off into fast-moving, heavy traffic!

By the way - have any of you been on the 'bridge' at the Grand Canyon? Horseshoe perched high on the side wall of the Canyon. Good tourist attraction.

I vote for an underground tunnel beneath 2nd road. The road construction crews in Pattaya are more familiar at digging up roads than they are with construction above road surfaces.

That's funny. Imagine the condition of an underground tunnel packed with rodents and gangs of knife (gun) wielding locals.

I'll take my chances with the traffic. :o

Edited by tropo

I vote for an underground tunnel beneath 2nd road. The road construction crews in Pattaya are more familiar at digging up roads than they are with construction above road surfaces.

Sorry disagree,as well as vermin tropo mentioned,what about the rainy season,drainage etc

There is the sinking feeling that the supports will be unstable due to the traffic going overhead

I can just see it. An over pass with the usual quality building and finish and the steep, narrow stairs. Just like the one over Sukumvit near Pattaya Klang. The steps are narrower that my feet. So long as the rail is not stolen it will be a little bit safe. :o

One can definitely make a case for a pedestrian overpasses on a road as wide and as busy as Sukhumvit, but not on a one-way road such as 2nd. Even the stray dogs manage to get across there unscathed...don't ask me how. :D

Edited by tropo

Sorry disagree,as well as vermin tropo mentioned,what about the rainy season,drainage etc

There is the sinking feeling that the supports will be unstable due to the traffic going overhead

I don't want to be harsh on you, but your point would require planning ahead. I haven't seen that too often in Thai traffic planning...

How bout they dig up 2nd Road, and resurface it again. Should take few years to do and this will assist with crossing the road at new shopping complex. :o

good for a start....don't forget to pave the road. dig it up again for the drainage overhaul, pave it, dig it up for the power cables, pave it, dig it up for the fresh water pipes, pave it....you get the picture....

Why not just use the zebra crossings

I've seen more than a few bewildered and angry tourists standing on pedestrian crossings. It certainly is a dangerous pastime.

You could do what a lot of tour guides do. They walk across the road with their hand out expecting everyone to stop.

A central pedestrian island would cheaply do the trick. Somewhere to get half way across and pause and wait for another gap

It can't be done on a narrow one-way street such as 2nd Road. I can't believe people find it difficult to cross a one-way street anyway, it's just a matter of patience.