Can Child Born In Japan Of Japanese Man And Thai Lady Born In Japan

Asking for Thai lady friend. Japanese immigration law uses the father as the nationality determinator for Japan, what about Thailand.

Can the mother's Thai nationality allow the born in Japan child claim Thai citizenship? Get Thai passport. Dual citizenship?

Many thanks for knowledgeable replies.

Apologies for the redundancy in the thread caption, haven't leaned how to edit thread caption, anyone know how if already posted?

Edited by ProThaiExpat

A child born overseas to a Thai parent is entitled to Thai citizenship and a Thai passport.

To register the birth at the Amphur, they will probably need a copy of the birth certificate translated into thai. (I assume that it is in Japanese)

The baby will need to get its name in a house book also, before they can get a Thai passport.

The Child is legally classed as Japanese

To get a Thai passport the child would have to satisfy a claim for Thai Nationality due to Mother…..Age of Child is Important (must be over the age of 5 or 7... I can't remember) and the sex of child …..it is not at all easy.

The parents would need a very good Immigration lawyer + a very good reason as to why they want Thai Nationality for a Japanese Child?

Last high profile case was Vanessa Mae the US born Thai Violinist …she got it but never came back???

I have copied the following from the Thai Embassy Web Site in Washington DC. USA.

I assume that this information is the same for any country.

Have your friend check with the embassy in Japan, and i am sure that they can register the birth there, before coming to Thailand.

The Embassy will issue a Thai birth cetificate, which will give the child Thai nationality.

I made similar enquiries in Australia late last year and was assured that registration of birth of a Thai national, born overseas, is quite common and straightforward.

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

To obtain a Thai birth certificate for a Child who was born in the United States to a Thai father or a Thai mother, please submit the following documents :

Parents’ Passports including Green Card or any other U.S. or Thai Identification Card, if any with 3 copies

Certificate of Marriage with 3 copies

U.S. Birth Certificate issued by County’s Vital Statistics Office. It must be notarized by State and the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.

Completed application forms

Two photographs of the child (size 2" x 2")

$15.00 fee for legalization of Birth Certificate which is notarized by the U.S. Department of State.

Source: www.thaiembdc.org

Asking for Thai lady friend. Japanese immigration law uses the father as the nationality determinator for Japan, what about Thailand.

Not true. A child born to Japaense parent is a Japanese national when either parent is a Japanese at the time of the birth .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nati...nality_by_birth

Can the mother's Thai nationality allow the born in Japan child claim Thai citizenship? Get Thai passport. Dual citizenship?

Yes. But the child has to choose either Japanese or Thai citizenship by the age of 22 according to Japanese nationality law. S/he can do so by simply declaring him/herself Japanese, unless s/he chooses to renounce either of the citizenships.

A child born overseas to a Thai parent is entitled to Thai citizenship and a Thai passport.

To register the birth at the Amphur, they will probably need a copy of the birth certificate translated into thai. (I assume that it is in Japanese)

The baby will need to get its name in a house book also, before they can get a Thai passport.

not true.

The only place that the registration of birth can happen is at the royal thai embassy in Tokyo.

Each Ampur in thailand is only able to register births that occur within its boundries, and as such will not be able to issue a BC for a child born outside its boundries, let alone, outside the country.

The child will be issued with a birth certificate for overseas born Thais (differnt to the the one which is issue for domestically born Thai's). Once done, the embassy can then issue a Thai passport for the child to enter thailand on.

Once in country, you can then go to the Ampur to get the house registraton, and eventually, the ID card at 15 years of age.