Hi-def Video: Airbus A380 Lands In Chiang Mai

hansmast

I took a hi-def video (from the footbridge over Hang Dong road) of the Airbus A380 landing at Chiang Mai International Airport. If you only have dial-up, you can go to

(terrible quality), but if you have broadband, you're much better off going to my blog for a selection of hi-def formats. (Waiting for the 58 MB hi-def version to download over dial-up shouldn't be too bad either.)

--

btw, for interest sake, I am one of the "nearly Amish" "gaggle of Mennonites" "men with facial hair" in Koolpunt Ville 5.

PeaceBlondie wrote: Some of the Koolpunt Ville subdivisions (which are numerous and monstrous) have a high percent of farang. Like ten percent. I am sure I spotted an entire gaggle of Mennonites there this week, with the whitest faces, women in head coverings, men with facial hair, nearly Amish.

This hi-def-bringing Amish-Mennonite would like to highlight one more ironic post:

GoodHeart wrote: Yeah, it's like those Amish and Mennonite Americans are living quite happily in their horse drawn buggy world- technology just zooms right around them and they pay no nevermind. That we're denied the opportunity to participate in a ?Mbps experience shouldn't really be a factor here, now should it.

that was a very nice video! .. wow thanks.

Agreed. Excellent! :o

You're both quite welcome. I love doing stuff like this.

This is my first hi-def video "production" because it's the first I've had software (Ulead VideoStudio 11) that supports hi-def. I have used a TON of different editing software for PC and UVS11 is the only one I can recommend. The rest are beyond sad. Either their interface is far too advanced (and this is coming from a computer programmer and ######!) or they're very unstable.

Pretty cool footage right there. BTW it's funny how many people don't understand Mennonites. I dated a Mennonite girl for a few years and I always got Bizzare questions like "Does her family have a horse and buggy?, Is she allowed to ride in your car?"

We live in PA with the Amish, PA dutch, Mennonites.. I would think people would be able to tell the difference!

BTW it's funny how many people don't understand Mennonites. I dated a Mennonite girl for a few years and I always got Bizzare questions like "Does her family have a horse and buggy?, Is she allowed to ride in your car?"

We live in PA with the Amish, PA dutch, Mennonites.. I would think people would be able to tell the difference!

I'm not surprised people don't know the difference. Some people who have been Mennonites all their lives have trouble keeping track of the vast array of churches that span the Amish/Mennonite spectrum from mainstream evangelical to strict horse and buggy Amish. Please note that I was not upset at either of the posters I quoted, only amused. It's a big joke here at IGo--we jokingly refer to ourselves as the "white-faced, nearly-Amish, bearded ones".

Thank you VERY much for this.

I only live half a klik from where you filmed it...but missed the whole event...but now I have saved it and can show others.

Great comparison between the two planes, its the only way you can get a sense of proportion, fantastic

Wonderful production :o

what camera did you use ?

Canon TX-1. An awesome camera/camcorder combo that's only about $400USD/13,000THB. It has 10x zoom, image stabilization (I would never go back to a camera without IS; it allows crystal clear shots across the room in low light without flash; I would miss millions of awesome shots without IS), 7.1 megapixels, and is slightly larger than a deck of cards. It takes 720p hi-def video and accepts $80USD 8 GB SDHC cards. It shoots video in the nearly uncompressed Motion JPEG which means that it basically is taking 30 1280x720 JPEG images per second which makes for incredible quality video and the ability to capture amazing stills from the video.

Two of my siblings shoot with digital SLRs (Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi - 400D) and I have a really hard time deciding which I'd rather have. At this point I'm leaning toward the TX-1. It's versatility makes so that I can nab lots of shots my siblings miss. Furthermore it is extremely portable. If you have all the time in the world and don't need video, a DSLR will take the cake, but for all around usage, nothing beats the TX-1.

In case you hadn't noticed, I am passionate about photography! :o

Canon TX-1. An awesome camera/camcorder combo that's only about $400USD/13,000THB. It has 10x zoom, image stabilization (I would never go back to a camera without IS; it allows crystal clear shots across the room in low light without flash; I would miss millions of awesome shots without IS), 7.1 megapixels, and is slightly larger than a deck of cards. It takes 720p hi-def video and accepts $80USD 8 GB SDHC cards. It shoots video in the nearly uncompressed Motion JPEG which means that it basically is taking 30 1280x720 JPEG images per second which makes for incredible quality video and the ability to capture amazing stills from the video.

Two of my siblings shoot with digital SLRs (Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTi - 400D) and I have a really hard time deciding which I'd rather have. At this point I'm leaning toward the TX-1. It's versatility makes so that I can nab lots of shots my siblings miss. Furthermore it is extremely portable. If you have all the time in the world and don't need video, a DSLR will take the cake, but for all around usage, nothing beats the TX-1.

i realised that some of your pictures were taken with a Canon 10D. Through its EXIF data. Thats a nice cam.

btw> which one do you think is a better camera: nikon 40x or canon 350d?

Edited by tigerbeer

They invited the press along for "press conference at 11.30 followed by lunch and tour of the plane". Invited us to the wrong address, gave us no contact details so drove around for over an hour before finding an authorityh who knew anything, and then after a three and a half hour wait we were told to get onto the bus to board the plane. Then they changed their minds again and told us to get off the bus. My patience was not at it's best that day, so I am afraid I never got the tour. So it's nice to see the movie.

Sorry to be going off topic a bit...but I'm considering buying a video recorder (Sony I guess since I've had one before) but your description of the canon TX-1 sounds great. Would a Sony handycam produce superior video to the canon TX-1 ? Is 8GB SDHC the largest or can get larger ? What length of video can be recorded on 8GB ? What's the pros and cons of the Sony (say, with 60GB HDD) versus the canon TX-1 ?

Sorry to be going off topic a bit...but I'm considering buying a video recorder (Sony I guess since I've had one before) but your description of the canon TX-1 sounds great. Would a Sony handycam produce superior video to the canon TX-1 ? Is 8GB SDHC the largest or can get larger ? What length of video can be recorded on 8GB ? What's the pros and cons of the Sony (say, with 60GB HDD) versus the canon TX-1 ?

The Canon TX-1 in hi-def mode takes better video.

8 GB is the largest you can purchase right now. However, a 16 GB SDHC card is being released in Q4'07 and a 32 GB card is being released in Jan. '08. An 8 GB card holds 27 minutes of hi-def 720p (1280x720) video or 61 minutes of standard-def 640x480 video.

The disadvantages of the TX-1:

Battery--you would need more than one of the matchbook size batteries to record for longer periods than 30 minutes. Generic versions of the TX-1's battery can be found online for about $5USD. I always keep a couple in my pocket.

Holds 27 min vs. 20-30 hrs.

Advantages:

It's far more portable

It shoots hi-def

Shoots uncompressed video

What it really comes down to is: Do you want hi-def? If you want to shoot lots of video in standard home video style (I know my family has tapes, and tapes of home videos that we never watch), the Sony is for you. If you want to shoot hi-def, have an amazing camera in the same package, and take it everywhere you go, the Canon is better for you.

(I have found the space limitations of the Canon to not be a problem. It makes me think before I just shoot 5 minutes of video. I find myself bumping up against the 8 GB limit only after a two week trip without laptop access. I end up with a good selection of memories in the form of high-quality-content video rather than hours of stuff to wade through.)

Just a few, non-comprehensive thoughts. :o

Thanks hansmast. 16/32GB would give 1-2 hours recording then...but require 3 spare batteries. I read a review which stated the HD resolution is not as detailed as a dedicated HD camcorder, but without seeing for oneself it's difficult to say. Yes I would be recording in HD widescreen mode.

I like the idea of a small sized unit being able to function both as a camera of reasonable quality (I use a Casio at 3.2mp now and I find it adequate) and also for HD video. Would have been better if it recorded in MPEG4 format although this wouldn't change the battery limitation.

Thanks for your comments. Haven't discounted the Canon yet...will research the Sony dedicated camcorders a bit more first.

Anyone know the going rate for the Canon? Is it mega-bucks?
Canon TX-1. An awesome camera/camcorder combo that's only about $400USD/13,000THB.

its being quoted anywhere from 15k to 17k. depends where you buy it at.

as far as video performance is concerned:

Movies can be continuously recorded with a fast SD card, up to 4GB per movie clip• Approx. 13 minutes of continuous movie recording at new 1280x720 resolution, 30 fps• Approx. 30 minutes of continuous movie recording at 640x480 resolution, 30 fps

very memory intensive for an SD card. you have to make sure its a fast SD card. 60x perhaps? but then again SD cards are a bargain these days. 4gigs for 1200 baht i think.

as far as the resolution goes, Sony cams go up to 1440 x 1080. So there is higher resolution in there. but you would be looking at 35k plus the least for those cams. they have built in HDD or burn straight to a DVD.

for what its worth, this canon tx-1 is surely a value for money gadget for its size and performance. TWO THUMBS UP :o.

TB

SibeyMai Canon never had MPEG-4 on any of their cameras. yes you are right, would have compressed into avi four times smaller and at least an hour of high resolution on a 4Gig SD card. From what I read somewhere, the MPEG4 compression license is pricey. maybe thats why?

Edited by tigerbeer

Canon TX-1. An awesome camera/camcorder combo that's only about $400USD/13,000THB.

its being quoted anywhere from 15k to 17k. depends where you buy it at.

I was quoting U.S. prices--I am not familiar with good places to buy tech stuff in Thailand. My bad.

What it really comes down to is that a dedicated machine will always do a better job at that specific task. It's a tradeoff of convenience and ability.

SibeyMai Canon never had MPEG-4 on any of their cameras. yes you are right, would have compressed into avi four times smaller and at least an hour of high resolution on a 4Gig SD card. From what I read somewhere, the MPEG4 compression license is pricey. maybe thats why?

It takes on-camera processor power which adds to the cost.