Drugs Case Brit Released

Prakanong

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compensation?

Try deportation at least thats what an article from AFP is saying. He's still in custody until Immigration can complete deportaion.

"

Aggett was handed over to immigration officials on Tuesday, officials said.

"He's been released from prison but he's still held by immigration officials," British embassy spokesman Daniel Painter told AFP.

Thai immigration officials said they were working with the embassy to sort out remaining issues surrounding his visa and his release.

When asked about his release date, an immigration officer passed his cellphone to Aggett, who said he was told he could return home on Sunday.

"I'm ecstatic really," he told AFP.

"I'm going, but I think I'm being deported as well," he said before the officer took back the cellphone."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jBSsmW...k2uRLXW5Ib6LPXA

Of course he's handed over to Thai Immigration Police, he ain't got a Visa.

What do you want them to do, just kick him out of the Jail with nothing and no support ?

Thai Immigration Police will be good to him. He will survive until he gets back to the UK to sell his story to a newspaper for 50,000 Pounds. " My six years of hel_l in The Bangkok Hilton" , that headline will always sell newspapers in the tabloid market.

A few interviews, or the rights to a movie. He will be OK.

And guess what he'll do with his new found wealth...............probably come back to Thailand. :o

Edited by Maigo6

to stay in a house and not know that a home bake was happening is BS.....Just the smell alone would have suggested something.

But good luck to him....he has beaten the system

Burnsey, I do tend to agree with you.

But good luck to him, he was just a kid with no money, in love and she was pregnant, who knows what we would have done in the same situation.

Edited by Maigo6

What a nightmare scenario - to be in a Thai prison for drugs when you are innocent.

Now i am pretty cynical and beleive all those like Fellow's etc are as guilty as h3ll and should stop whinging as they knew the risks and rewards associated with theiractions.

However this guy it seems was innocent all along.

Does anyone know if his girlfriend is released as well?

Hi.

Just a short note to answer some of your questions.

Jody is 30 years old and is awaiting repatriation to the UK.

Jody's son Ryan is nearly 6 years old.

Jody's girlfriend Kristin has been released already

What a nightmare scenario - to be in a Thai prison for drugs when you are innocent.

Now i am pretty cynical and beleive all those like Fellow's etc are as guilty as h3ll and should stop whinging as they knew the risks and rewards associated with theiractions.

However this guy it seems was innocent all along.

Does anyone know if his girlfriend is released as well?

Hi.

Just a short note to answer some of your questions.

Jody is 30 years old and is awaiting repatriation to the UK.

Jody's son Ryan is nearly 6 years old.

Jody's girlfriend Kristin has been released already

Thanks

What do you want them to do, just kick him out of the Jail with nothing and no support ?

Thai Immigration Police will be good to him. He will survive until he gets back to the UK to sell his story to a newspaper for 50,000 Pounds. " My six years of hel_l in The Bangkok Hilton" , that headline will always sell newspapers in the tabloid market.

And guess what he'll do with his new found wealth...............probably come back to Thailand. :o

I suspect had they issued him a visa on release the UK would have taken good care of him. Instead they continue to detain him and I suspect he isn't staying in the Landmark. It also appears they are going to boot him out of the country. Hardly the way to treat someone wronged by the system. One bright side for him, I suspect he may get more than 50,000 pounds when the movie companies finish their offers. I wish him and his family the best in getting his life back on track.

I suspect had they issued him a visa on release the UK would have taken good care of him. Instead they continue to detain him and I suspect he isn't staying in the Landmark. It also appears they are going to boot him out of the country. Hardly the way to treat someone wronged by the system. One bright side for him, I suspect he may get more than 50,000 pounds when the movie companies finish their offers. I wish him and his family the best in getting his life back on track.

I would rather read his book than the two Aussie whingers Fellow's and Parnell plus that Irish guy - I fought with him but did not stab him.

Thing is will he ever be allowed back into Thailand - that might have some bearing on what he can say - his child is Thai after all.

It is one of Sandra Gergory's regrets that she can never return to Thailand - at least she had the balls to admit what she did and not whinge.

I would rather read his book than the two Aussie whingers Fellow's and Parnell plus that Irish guy - I fought with him but did not stab him.

Thing is will he ever be allowed back into Thailand - that might have some bearing on what he can say - his child is Thai after all.

It is one of Sandra Gergory's regrets that she can never return to Thailand - at least she had the balls to admit what she did and not whinge.

He will never be allowed back in Thailand, agreed. His child is half Thai but is in the UK and has been raised by Jody's parents (see link below). I hope the UK gives his girlfriend an expedited visa on humanitarian grounds if she wishes to go with him. Has anyone seen this in the Thai press, English language or otherwise?

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/hea...thai_prison.php

He will never be allowed back in Thailand, agreed. His child is half Thai but is in the UK and has been raised by Jody's parents (see link below). I hope the UK gives his girlfriend an expedited visa on humanitarian grounds if she wishes to go with him. Has anyone seen this in the Thai press, English language or otherwise?

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/hea...thai_prison.php

I do know they can expedite a visa and have done so in more unfortunate circumstances - the guys murdered in Saudi and Iraq I believe but can not swear 100%.

I hope she does get the visa quickly - if she has been cleared the only objection I could see is the monetary one in that he does not have a job or funds but humaniatarian issues should over-rule that (Hopefully)

Why is Maigo so 'anti' this guy?

If Maigo is pretty pished that perhaps the guy is gonna sell his story for 50,000 pounds, then may it be advised that Maigo just follow in his steps and be incarcerated himself for a few years.

Found guilty in Thailand? Be lambasted by a few of the greatest philisophical Forum posters which Thailand has to offer.

Found innocent in Thailand? Still....be lambasted!

If Maigo is pretty pished that perhaps the guy is gonna sell his story for 50,000 pounds, then may it be advised that Maigo just follow in his steps and be incarcerated himself for a few years.

Found guilty in Thailand? Be lambasted by a few of the greatest philisophical Forum posters which Thailand has to offer.

I do not think young jody will be losing any sleep about what is said on ThaiVisa

If I was him I would be preparing my brief to Mr Max Clifford in the hope of selling my story, book rights and anything else for way more than 50k GBP.

He might not get any compensation but his deasls might help him out a bit - he can also console himself with the idea there will only be the agents deductions. If it was the UK govt they would be deducting the board and lodging form the compo as they do :D

I'm not anti this guy, I don't know him.

He will make money out of it, good luck to him.

Would I spend 6 years in Jail for 50,000 Pounds ?

Nope. But if I was in jail for 6 years without choice, then a nice financial payback would help ease my way back into society.

Clear enough for you Mr Cleary.

Edited by Maigo6

Thing is will he ever be allowed back into Thailand - that might have some bearing on what he can say
He will never be allowed back in Thailand, agreed.

What are you agreeing with? Prakanong asked a question - he did not make a statement.

Why are you so sure he won't be allowed back?

Briton Freed On Drug Charges Back Home

Updated: 10:49, Tuesday September 11, 2007

A British man cleared of drugs charges after being jailed for life in Thailand has been greeted by his family in emotional scenes as he arrived back at Heathrow.

Jody Aggett, 30, had been in prison since 2001 but was acquitted by Thailand's supreme court last week.

It was only the second time he had seen his five-year-old son Ryan, who was accompanied to the airport by Mr Aggett's parents, Lorna and Tony, and twin sister, Tammy.

Mr Aggett's Thai girlfriend, Ramphia Lo, known in the family as Kristin, gave birth in jail and the couple decided to send Ryan home to his grandparents in Swindon, Wiltshire.

Continued here with photo http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1283522,00.html

I'm trying to piece this all together, but am having great difficulty, since this seems so one sided. Both parties accused the other of the crime. One couple is now free, the other is still incarcerated.

For those interested, do a web search on "Adrian Van Ommering", for his side of the story.

Adrian is Canadian (Toronto) and came to Bangkok several years ago to set up a travel shop. He rented the room above his shop to a tenant who, it turns out, was manufacturing Ecstasy. The police raided, found the drugs and decided that Adrian MUST also have been involved -- he received a life sentence.

Thanks LinkPopularity, but I still don't know who did what. What I do know from the newspaper reports is that Jody had the support of the British Embassy and a prisoner's advocacy group on his side. What defense support did Adrian have in his appeal process? Does anyone know?

Adrian is Canadian (Toronto) and came to Bangkok several years ago to set up a travel shop. He rented the room above his shop to a tenant who, it turns out, was manufacturing Ecstasy. The police raided, found the drugs and decided that Adrian MUST also have been involved -- he received a life sentence.

Well thats the complete opposite of the Jody Aggett story?

I will do a search on the Canadian guy out of interest - surely the evidence of exactly where the Ecstacy was cooked up was present - was it in the room occupied by Agget and GF or elsewhere?

Found this - Jody Aggett is S African I beleive but moved with his family to the UK

Game thorists will have a filed day with this one - "The Prisoners Dillemma"

If they both blame each other then other evidence must be looked at - I doubt the Brit Embassy would be trying for a guilty party - they usually grass on them. Sandara Greagory is a case in point and a very good pal from Uni is now a Deputy Ambassador. I once asked him about the Embassy grassing and he replied, "Its cheaper to keep them in a foreign jail than a British one" and smiled.

“Years ago, I moved to Bangkok from Toronto to set up a travel agency,” he explains. “I rented my Bangkok apartment to a South African man, who, as I later learned, was manufacturing Ecstasy. When the police arrested him, they figured that, as the landlord, I must have been involved. With our names both on the lease, my Thai girlfriend and I were both arrested even though we had no part in any illegal activities.” According to Associated Press, police seized 3300 ecstasy pills and four kg of chemicals, which was enough to make 20 000 tablets of ecstasy and ketamine. Adrian, his girlfriend and two others, were found guilty of “conspiring to produce and distribute class A illegal drugs”. They were sentenced to life in prison. “I am innocent,” he says, almost apologetically, recognizing the cliché. Adrian claims that, with its harsh drug laws, flawed criminal justice system and corrupt police officers, “there is no justice in Thailand. It’s guilty until proven innocent.”

Edit - its funny that the only stories I can find of the Canadian guy are him claiming innocence to backpackers and christians visiting individually - he is also bullshitting in them about other items. It seems strange that all the other NGO's support Aggett and not Omering - is this due to better outside support or do they know more than we do?

Edited by Prakanong

Edit - its funny that the only stories I can find of the Canadian guy are him claiming innocence to backpackers and christians visiting individually - he is also bullshitting in them about other items. It seems strange that all the other NGO's support Aggett and not Omering - is this due to better outside support or do they know more than we do?

That question is answered in the same blog you quoted from above.

"Unlike The Prisoner Abroad Organization in the UK, there are no volunteer-based organizations in Canada that are specifically designed to fight for the well-being and fair treatment of their citizens detained overseas."

--------------------------------------------------------------

From what I can see Adrian received no representation from outside sources, unlike Jody. The implication from the British media seems to be that Jody and his girl friend now have a "get out of jail card", but Adrian and his partner are still in prison, so they must be as guilty as sin.

We're not talking about the Thai justice system here, we're referring to influence from outsiders. One side seems to have had it big time, and the other side seems to be sadly lacking. "If" that's the case, where's the justice in all this?

That question is answered in the same blog you quoted from above.

"Unlike The Prisoner Abroad Organization in the UK, there are no volunteer-based organizations in Canada that are specifically designed to fight for the well-being and fair treatment of their citizens detained overseas."

--------------------------------------------------------------

From what I can see Adrian received no representation from outside sources, unlike Jody. The implication from the British media seems to be that Jody and his girl friend now have a "get out of jail card", but Adrian and his partner are still in prison, so they must be as guilty as sin.

We're not talking about the Thai justice system here, we're referring to influence from outsiders. One side seems to have had it big time, and the other side seems to be sadly lacking. "If" that's the case, where's the justice in all this?

I think Jody Aggett had support form other prisoner or'g and not just the UK Prisoners Abroad - its not his or anyone elses fault Canada does not have that and not to use it would be a tad foolish.

Just when did the Canadian start shouting his innocence and finger pointing - right from the start or as an afterthought?

Did Aggett ever finger him or did he just say he knew nothing about it?

A cursory investigation would have shown if Aggett had the chemical skills, if his girlfriend had or iof they had contacts - I bet you a pound to the penny the Brit Embassy had that looked at before supporting him.

Until someone proves otherwise I will go with Candadian guilty and Aggett innocent on this one - call it instinct (which has been wrong before) but the behaviour of the two speaks volumes.

I'm still waiting for exact details as to where the drugs was found.

I do not think they were found in Aggetts room but in the building.

Omering seems to be saying they were made in Aggets room - surely there would be some sort of residue - could you even sleep in there afterwards?

As I say my gut feeling is its the Canadian but gut feeling can and has been wrong before :o

From the Fair Trials Abroad website - is anyone disputing their facts?

So just when did Omering start to blame Aggett? - when he was being visited by backpackers and Christians in the hope of gaining sympathy?

Its only his GF blaming them before and then she retrcted it

Look at the situation - who had all the assets and money??

My view is Canadian guilty and Aggett innocent - unless someone can come up with more than "It was him not me" as an afterthought from Ommering

On the 20th of November 2001 the police raided the house and discovered the drugs. Jody and some employees of the travel agency were arrested, but only Jody and his partner were kept in custody. Their child was born behind bars and is now living with Jody’s parents in the UK. The police intelligence was based upon the testimony of a police informer, who spoke in detail about Adrian and his Thai girlfriend, but never once mentioned any involvement of Jody and his partner.

Some 17 months later, Jody and Adrian and their girlfriends were brought to trial. The police informer did not attend the trial, apparently he had run away. The employees of the travel agency gave evidence that Jody had been waiting for a Visa for his girlfriend to take her to the UK and that he had hardly any money and no assets. In contrast, it was evident that Adrian had large amounts of money at his disposal, he owned cars, houses and expensive Rolex watches. When Jody’s defence lawyer asked the arresting officer why he had taken his client into custody, the officer replied “because he was in the house”. When challenged as to why the employees of the travel agency, who also lived on the premises, were not equally kept on remand, the policeman had no answer. Adrian’s girlfriend tried to put all blame on Jody and his partner.

Then as an addendum later

"In a recent development Adrian’s Thai girlfriend has written a statement in her prison cell, retracting her claim during the trial and to confess that Jody and his partner had no involvement whatsoever. This document is now in the hands of the lawyer, but it is apparently too late to be introduced into the appeal procedures. It will be possible to use it though, if it becomes necessary to take the case to the Supreme Court. However this is a slow process. Jody’s family is comforted by the excellent support given to their son by the British Embassy in Bangkok."

I'm still waiting for exact details as to where the drugs was found.

This quote from the Fair Trials Abroad website:

"Jody was arrested in November 2001, following the discovery of a drugs manufacturing operation in the top floor of an apartment building occupied by Jody and his girlfriend. They had no knowledge of the operation, but were arrested and charged along with the owner of the building."